Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

My ABS / TC Light has come on

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/09, 05:05 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ABS / TC Light has come on

Hi there

My car has developed an unusual fault.

Last night for no apparant reason my ABS main dash light refused to go out and the check traction control message came up on the odometer and as such ABS and TC is now disabled.

I checked for error DTC codes and none found, presumably because this is not an error maybe?

I tried several restarts and tried clearing codes and the ABS light did go out. Whilst the light was out I checked the brakes and TC and they were both working fine, but about 10 minutes later whilst driver ABS light lit back up and once again ABS and TC is disabled.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is at fault here, is it one of the sensors on the brakes or any other suggestions.
Old 10/28/09, 07:53 AM
GT Member

Hi there

Right I cant clear it no matter how hard I try.

As soon as I turn key to ignition point 2 ABS light wont go out, the odometer says "check traction control" and the traction control button is lit up.

When this has happened to others did there odometer say check traction control?

When I run the in car system check it says brakes are OK but it is definetely finding a fault on traction control. So does my car have another issue as it seems quite confident in thinking its the TC system or does it just flash that up for any brakes/sensor issue?

Any help, fuses to check, or connectors etc?

This is so annoying, as this car is so well kept and looked after that all of a sudden get this little gremlin come out the blue.
Old 10/28/09, 08:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo_UK
Hi there

Right I cant clear it no matter how hard I try.

As soon as I turn key to ignition point 2 ABS light wont go out, the odometer says "check traction control" and the traction control button is lit up.

When this has happened to others did there odometer say check traction control?

When I run the in car system check it says brakes are OK but it is definetely finding a fault on traction control. So does my car have another issue as it seems quite confident in thinking its the TC system or does it just flash that up for any brakes/sensor issue?

Any help, fuses to check, or connectors etc?

This is so annoying, as this car is so well kept and looked after that all of a sudden get this little gremlin come out the blue.

When this happened to me, it was a faulty master cylinder fluid level sensor. To test, unplug the connector from the brake MC sensor when you have the fault. If the fault goes away, its the sensor.
Old 10/28/09, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
When this happened to me, it was a faulty master cylinder fluid level sensor. To test, unplug the connector from the brake MC sensor when you have the fault. If the fault goes away, its the sensor.

Hi there

You dont by any chance have a picture of this bit do you so I know where I am looking and I shall give it a try.
Old 10/28/09, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo_UK
Hi there

You dont by any chance have a picture of this bit do you so I know where I am looking and I shall give it a try.

Item #2 in the attached picture....
Attached Thumbnails My ABS / TC Light has come on-mustang-mc-large-.jpg  
Old 11/1/09, 01:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Did it happen to be raining a lot that day or the day prior?
Old 12/29/09, 04:46 AM
GT Member

Hi there

Yes I think it was raining on the day. Once weather improves am gonna look into sorting this issue.
Old 12/29/09, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I was bringing it up because this used to happen on my car occasionally during when it was raining a lot (either very heavy or just for a while). What was happening was that water was leaking from my windshield cowl down to my smart junction box (interior fuse box). Once the water got down there, all sorts of stuff started acting screwy. After it had time to dry out, it'd go away. Sometimes it was TCS, sometimes ABS, sometimes tail lights.