Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Killer squeak in ragtop

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/07, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killer squeak in ragtop

I've got this killer squeak coming from the right-rear passenger area in my 2005 ragtop whenever I go over rough roads.

No squeak whatsoever with the top up, but it's driving me nuts (and my passengers always comment on it) with the top down, which is about the only way I drive it.

It's high pitched and loud and grating on my nerves. A classic squeak. It doesn't matter whether the windows are up or down, but if the top is down, there's a Godalmighty squeak coming from back there over my right shoulder on rough roads. It doesn't matter whether there's somebody sitting back there or not. It f*&%$ squeaks on any road less than smooth.

I've done about all I can do, I think. I've lubed every pivot point I can see in the top hinging mechanism. I've pulled out the rear seat bottom (but not the back) and lubed what I can see as possible abrasion areas. I've pulled out the trunk mat and sprayed lube into every body joint and weld area I can see, around the pump, etc.

Anybody fix a squeak like this? I'm dreading turning my baby over to dealership dudes to try to fix it.

Thanks.
Old 8/6/07, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

Have you ridden in the back of the car with someone else driving to isolate the exact location of the squeek? If not, I'd remove the back of the seat and the bottom and ride in the back while listening carefully for the location of the noise. This is the only safe and sure way I know of to isolate a noise in the rear of a car.
Old 8/8/07, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Sounds like my Vert

I have tried the same remedies – nada.
I do notice I can reproduce the sound by taking a firm grasp of the side of the top (when it is down) and wiggling back and forth.

I just haven’t had the opportunity to follow up on it.
Old 8/9/07, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the exact same squeak!!! Drives me NUTZ. It's especially annoying going over railroad tracks or washboard road.

Was going to do the "lube" thing but apparently that isn't the issue according to MGR.

I have nothing to add but I'm watching this thread from now on hoping for a solution.
Old 8/9/07, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Same squeak, tried the lube spray...no change. All loud grinding vibration from rear left when top is up and road rough.

Friend had same noises in his 05 GT 'Vert since new as well. Last week he went to put the roof up and some type of rod snapped (attaches to top front and middle sections), not letting the roof unfold and rise. dealer said both sides were broken, "We've never seen this before" quote.

Still waiting on parts, still under warranty.

Brought mine in to dealer for a listen, but they have no TSB's on noises or defects..as of yet!
Old 8/9/07, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mineral Grey Ragtop
I've got this killer squeak coming from the right-rear passenger area in my 2005 ragtop whenever I go over rough roads.

No squeak whatsoever with the top up, but it's driving me nuts (and my passengers always comment on it) with the top down, which is about the only way I drive it.

It's high pitched and loud and grating on my nerves. A classic squeak. It doesn't matter whether the windows are up or down, but if the top is down, there's a Godalmighty squeak coming from back there over my right shoulder on rough roads. It doesn't matter whether there's somebody sitting back there or not. It f*&%$ squeaks on any road less than smooth.

I've done about all I can do, I think. I've lubed every pivot point I can see in the top hinging mechanism. I've pulled out the rear seat bottom (but not the back) and lubed what I can see as possible abrasion areas. I've pulled out the trunk mat and sprayed lube into every body joint and weld area I can see, around the pump, etc.

Anybody fix a squeak like this? I'm dreading turning my baby over to dealership dudes to try to fix it.

Thanks.
I had it fixed under warranty...Pat Milliken Ford in Detroit Michigan on Telegraph road.....contact them....it took an Engineers direction and a total tear/down build up of the rear passenger track, solid for the past 9 weeks....
Old 8/9/07, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Adam8g
I have tried the same remedies – nada.
I do notice I can reproduce the sound by taking a firm grasp of the side of the top (when it is down) and wiggling back and forth.

I just haven’t had the opportunity to follow up on it.
That was exactly my scenario too.....
Old 8/10/07, 05:13 AM
Cobra R Member

To the OP, I have the EXACT squeak too under the EXACT situations as you (I've had it for over a year now)

I've narrowed it down to it being from the top itself when it's down, because if you just push on rear passenger area of the top when down, you'll hear it.

I hope that helps you a little. Personally, I'm just going to live with it and turn the radio up more. I'd rather have a squeaky top than a replaced top
Old 8/12/07, 11:53 AM

delz05: my grinding squeak is when the top is down. I have a loud rustling or shaking noise when the top is up and the car goes over a railway crossing or other large bump, but I can live with THAT.

I took another shot at lubing every visible joint in the top-folding mechanism. Tried motor oil from an oil can instead of WD40. I pulled off the two side trim pieces that hide much of the mechanisms on both sides and pulled away the rear speaker trim at the front edge and lubricated all contact points with wheel bearing grease (wiped off the excess).

I may be imagining things, but the squeak I think has deminished about 70 per cent. It's less frequent, but the %$#&* squeak is still there sometimes, but no longer over the little imperfections in the road (almost constant), so it is not fixed yet.

We'll get to the bottom of this. For all its other pleasures, this car is worth it.

Craig
Old 8/13/07, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Since Ford is getting me a new top…

(See my thread about Vert ‘issues’ and TSB’s…here…)
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69511

I think I’ll hang at the shop when the new one is put on – checking all the potential ‘squeaky points’ and lubing as needed.

Wish me luck.
Old 8/14/07, 06:29 AM

Great! Please do. And talk to the techs doing the work. They may have some experience in quieting squeaks.

Please report back.
Craig
Old 9/17/07, 06:44 PM

Well, I put it in to the dealer. I wanted the top-down squeak in the right rear part of the cockpit fixed as well as what I called a shaking sound when the top is up over rough roads (like when going over a railway level crossing). I figured I had done what I could and my warranty is up next June (the car will go away for the winter). I hung around and caught the tech who was going to work on my car. I took him out (I drove the car) over rough roads and he heard both noises. Anyway, here is his report and my opinion of the results.

PROBLEM 1: Top-down squeak (like a chirp) from the right-rear seating area.

Repair: "RE/RE rear seats. Remove rear quarter panels. Access and repair rear floor pan metal. It was creaking. Test with Chassis Ears (whatever they are). Repair pan by flexing the metal."

My opinion: The squeak seems about 90 per cent gone. I can still hear it very occasionally but at a much lower volume over some bumps, but it was ****-near constant at its worst. At the risk of making it worse again, I may take a crack at checking for any remaining metal flex down there.

PROBLEM 2: Top-up, loud shaking noise from the front of the top when going over rough roads.

Repair: "Access and shim front header to correct noise -- header was loose. Repair metal in front header asy. RE/RE both front A Pillar mouldings. Remove front convertible top w/strip along top of w/shield. Also mouldings. Repair metal on rt. side. It was creaking. Test with Chassis Ears. Header area shim up and flex metal to remove noise."

My opinion: Probably got it but I haven't driven it much with the top up because it has been so sunny. I will report back to confirm.
Old 9/17/07, 06:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the whole "flex the metal" repair though.
Old 9/20/07, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Kind of reminds me of my 1980's Chilton manuals:

STEP ONE: Remove engine

STEP TWO: Fix problem

STEP THREE: Replace engine

Now, wasn't that easy?
Old 9/21/07, 05:59 AM

I've had some time to drive the car more, top up and top down. I've revised my opinions. See below:

PROBLEM 1: Top-down squeak (like a chirp) from the right-rear seating area.

Repair: "RE/RE rear seats. Remove rear quarter panels. Access and repair rear floor pan metal. It was creaking. Test with Chassis Ears (whatever they are). Repair pan by flexing the metal."

My opinion: The squeak seems about 80 per cent gone, not 90 per cent as I said earlier. I can still hear it occasionally, not VERY occasionally, but at a much lower volume over some bumps, but it was ****-near constant at its worst. It's gone over the little bumps; that used to drive me crazy. And it's gone over the big bumps. But it's still there over certain medium-sized bumps. AAAAAAHHHH!!! I'll just live with it for a while. Maybe let them have one last crack before the warranty is up. Or I'll buy the new Haynes manual just out for it and maybe pull things apart myself.

PROBLEM 2: Top-up, loud shaking noise from the front of the top when going over rough roads.

Repair: "Access and shim front header to correct noise -- header was loose. Repair metal in front header asy. RE/RE both front A Pillar mouldings. Remove front convertible top w/strip along top of w/shield. Also mouldings. Repair metal on rt. side. It was creaking. Test with Chassis Ears. Header area shim up and flex metal to remove noise."

My opinion: They seem to have got it at the front (header area), but it's still present over the bigger bumps and what's left seems to be coming from the rear bows holding up the top. Improvement: about 70 per cent. Maybe I just didn't hear the noise from the rear bows because it was louder at the front. I can accept a little noise -- just goes with owning a convertible. Funny: I never had any noise except wind noise from my TR-6, but that top had lots of other flaws. This top is very quiet (up) as far as wind noise goes at high speed, and very waterproof.

That's about all I can contribute, guys. Sorry.
Craig
Old 9/28/07, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Contact Pat Milliken Ford in Detroit, Michigan

I am telling you, I would not be happy with that fix, my squeak is totally gone, they had engineers from Flat Rock who assisted with the repair across several days......get it done right now, once out of warranty, could get costlier....
Old 9/29/07, 07:43 PM

Well, I'm not happy, of course. So don't just brag, provide some useful information. Tell me what they did to yours that's different.
Old 10/1/07, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mineral Grey Ragtop
Well, I'm not happy, of course. So don't just brag, provide some useful information. Tell me what they did to yours that's different.

Easy on the tone, I am not bragging, let me go through my paper work....Alright, they removed the Rear Quarter Trim, weather strip and holders on right side of top, inspected and lubed all Pivots--Op Code 32479

Op Code 31012A Removed material from front of top found to stop rubbing, Adjusted and Lubed

(31012/31013) MT52700 Op Code Convertible Top Noise Drag, Multiple Road Test and Adjustment

They also listed a Part #7652700 FC : N43 07

Hope this helps...........
Old 10/4/07, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

so MGR,

did you go get it worked on.....?....................
Old 10/6/07, 10:36 PM

Going back in on Wednesday for another try.

Quick Reply: Killer squeak in ragtop