Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

how to push in rear brake pistons

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/14, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to push in rear brake pistons

I'm replacing the rear rotors and brake pads on my '05 GT. The old rotors are off, and I have to push the caliper piston in for the new thicker pads. I see that the pistons are the type that have to be screwed in rather than pushed in like the fronts, because of the e-brake.

I had to order this special tool to do the job, according to various sources I have read from. So I have ordered it.

Amazon.com: OEM 27111 Disc Brake Tool Set: Home Improvement Amazon.com: OEM 27111 Disc Brake Tool Set: Home Improvement

I did see one other forum thread where the author said you needed to adjust the e-brake cable through the console between the seats first, before trying to push the piston in. I started to do this, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary. I'd rather leave it alone if this step is not needed. Does anyone know?
Old 11/8/14, 03:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by wjones14
I'm replacing the rear rotors and brake pads on my '05 GT. The old rotors are off, and I have to push the caliper piston in for the new thicker pads. I see that the pistons are the type that have to be screwed in rather than pushed in like the fronts, because of the e-brake.

I had to order this special tool to do the job, according to various sources I have read from. So I have ordered it.

Amazon.com: OEM 27111 Disc Brake Tool Set: Home Improvement

I did see one other forum thread where the author said you needed to adjust the e-brake cable through the console between the seats first, before trying to push the piston in. I started to do this, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary. I'd rather leave it alone if this step is not needed. Does anyone know?
I would think one of the parts stores like AutoZone would have that tool for loan instead you having to buy one.
Old 11/8/14, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Unless the e brake pads are being replaced there is nothing to adjust. I just did my 2006 no issues. Make sure the Pistons are all the way in and the mark is lined up and you are good.
Old 11/8/14, 05:01 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You can use a regular c-clamp but you will have to turn the piston clock ways every once in a while when compressing. It's really not difficult to do and you shouldn't have to buy any special tools.
Old 11/8/14, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Unless the e brake pads are being replaced there is nothing to adjust. I just did my 2006 no issues. Make sure the Pistons are all the way in and the mark is lined up and you are good.

Thanks Jazzman. What mark do you need to line up?
Old 11/15/14, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On mine - I had to buy a different tool. These rear calipers can't be pushed in - they have to be rotated in (on mine anyway - an 07 GT). If you look at the piston, there are 2 small holes that the tool fits in. The tool has a 3/8" square hole in it for a socket to attach to. I tired using needle nose pliers to rotate it in but that didn't work.
When I tried to rotate my pistons in, I had to disconnect the brake line. I tried just rotating it and it wouldn't go in. Then I tried opening the bleeder screw and this didn't work either. I ended up taking the caliper off the car and putting it in a vise to see why it wouldn't go in. That is when I found that disconnecting the brake line allowed it to rotate in easily - don't know why but it worked.
I also wanted to bleed the brake lines anyway so disconnecting the brake line didn't cause any other issue. I didn't find any e-brake pad adjustment nor any separate e-brake pads. I think when the e-brake is pulled - it mechanically overrides the calipers and presses the pads against the rotor. I didn't see any marks to line up - I think what is being referred to is that the 2 small holes in the pistons should line up with 2 dimples on the pads so they fit together.
My experience with the rear calipers. The front ones do push in normally and a C clamp works well for this.
Old 11/15/14, 08:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
You can buy the kit at Harbor Freight. You can also rent it for free at Advanced, AutoZone.

Make sure to use the toll.

Here is the Marks to line up:
Attached Thumbnails how to push in rear brake pistons-mustang-rear-brake-2006.jpg  

Last edited by Jazzman442; 11/15/14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11/15/14, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I have always just used needle nose pliers to turn the piston in.
Old 11/18/14, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I would think one of the parts stores like AutoZone would have that tool for loan instead you having to buy one.
This is the best thing to do. I just did mine this weekend as well. Tried to use the little cube with the different size fittings, it was basically worthless. As some folks have said, you can use other items to get this done, but honestly if you just rent or buy the actual tool it'll be done in like 4 minutes, with relative ease.