Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood Paint Deterioration

Old 12/15/14, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hood Paint Deterioration

I purchased a used 2010 Mustang from a Ford Dealership in 2012. The car already was over 50,000 miles. Not a year later I noticed what seem to be "fading sheen" on my hood. The luster slowly eroded. I took it to the dealership which I thought would paint it for me no charge. They told me it would cost $600. My hood is now an Eye Sore. I love my Mustang. It's my second one, but I'm very disappointed in the paint on the hood. It looks horrible
Old 12/16/14, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

Welcome to the club, there's a lot of us out there in the same boat. I had to pay to have mine fixed.
Old 12/21/14, 11:53 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RebelRider
I purchased a used 2010 Mustang from a Ford Dealership in 2012. The car already was over 50,000 miles. Not a year later I noticed what seem to be "fading sheen" on my hood. The luster slowly eroded. I took it to the dealership which I thought would paint it for me no charge. They told me it would cost $600. My hood is now an Eye Sore. I love my Mustang. It's my second one, but I'm very disappointed in the paint on the hood. It looks horrible
*bet* the original hood bubbled up from the underside like the rest, got 'repaired' under warranty with cheap paint.

theres enough mustangs with custom hoods, I'd just keep a eye out for a decent take-off... the factory paint is generally great- except for the poor prep that maked the aluminum startbubbling under the paint. takeoff hoods come up on ebay every so often for a couple hundred bucks, or check local wrecking yards... cheaper than a repaint.
best bet long term is get a fiberglass hood and have it painted- wont be cheap, but it will at least last like it should. the factory aluminum hoods were doomed the day they crimped them together without proper prep before paint...hame as the paint is great everywhere except the underside hem edge of the hood that always starts corroding- look for the 'bubbling hood paint' thread in here if you dont believe me- pics of brand new mustangs at the auto show with bubbling starting already...AAI has screwed these hoods up since 2004
Old 12/28/14, 11:30 AM

I had the same problem once. If you rant and rave, raise a big enough stink after my dealership didn't wanna make good. i wound up getting an entire paint job and paid only the tax. The car started looking like somebody took a wire brush to the paint. Just after the warranty expired. I had a history of buying from this particular dealer.