Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Help: Question about Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/09, 05:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Question about Oil Pressure Gauge

I was driving home from work (23 miles) and about half way home I noticed the gauge was showing no oil pressure. I'm sure you can imagine the words coming out of my mouth "HOLY $%@#!!" I pulled off the freeway and luckly there was a Ford dealer literally within a block. I talked to the mechanics and they said that it was likely Oil Pressure Sending Unit. They opened the oil cap while the car was running and with a flash light saw there was oil flowing and therefore said I was fine to drive the car. Sooo, I replaced the sending unit and still the gauge said no oil pressure. At this point I noticed that the gauge would flicker sometimes, and sometimes it would even work. Most times it wouldn't work.

I took the car to another mechanic who told me it was most likely the instrument cluster because the wire from the oil pressure sending unit was sending a signal to the cluster but the cluster wasn't showing oil pressure like it should. They quoted me like $600 to replace the instrument cluster.

My question is what route should I go? I have driven the car like 10k miles and its fine (Clearly no actual oil pressure issues) but I want to get it fixed for peace of mind, but $600 seems a little outrageous. I am looking for suggestions/possible solutions. Its been bugging me and I want to get it fixed, just don't want to break the bank doing it. Any help would be great, thank you much!

Pat

(PS I have a 05 GT Manual Trans, mods in sig)

Last edited by dsmdiggler; 10/6/09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10/6/09, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, from what I understand of the electronics of these cars, the sender unit reports to the car's computer, which then controls the gauge. Let me ask you this, have you tried checking the system check in the dash computer? You know, press "setup" and "info" buttons a few times to get to where it says "system check" or whatever. That will show you that oil pressure is "OK". If it says that, then the problem lies in the gauge cluster somehow because the car's computer is showing that it is receiving good oil pressure readings.

Also, if you have the MyColor dash, the gauge will turn red when the headlights are on if the car's computer detects no oil pressure. If it does not do this, the problem likely is again in the dash.
Old 10/6/09, 10:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Actually, from what I understand of the electronics of these cars, the sender unit reports to the car's computer, which then controls the gauge. Let me ask you this, have you tried checking the system check in the dash computer? You know, press "setup" and "info" buttons a few times to get to where it says "system check" or whatever. That will show you that oil pressure is "OK". If it says that, then the problem lies in the gauge cluster somehow because the car's computer is showing that it is receiving good oil pressure readings.

Also, if you have the MyColor dash, the gauge will turn red when the headlights are on if the car's computer detects no oil pressure. If it does not do this, the problem likely is again in the dash.
Yep under setup and info, oil pressure is OK. I'm guessing im going to need a new cluster..
Old 10/6/09, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

If anybody ever wants to check the "low oil pressure" warning system, Just bump start your car. It will go off and you get a warning bell and a message reading on the dash.
Old 10/6/09, 11:28 PM
GT Member

Should I try to find a used instrument cluster and have ford install it? Or buy a new cluster and have Ford install it? I have heard the GT500 cluster works with the GT, is this true? Ideas? Thanks!
Old 10/6/09, 11:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Keep your eye out, you may run into a great deal somewhere on a used one, or an upgrade like a GT500 dash or something. It's nothing that needs replacing right now, and can wait until you find the right one.
Old 10/6/09, 11:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm pretty sure you will need Ford to install it, whatever you end up doing. They have to reprogram the dash and odometer to match.
Old 10/7/09, 12:16 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I'm pretty sure you will need Ford to install it, whatever you end up doing. They have to reprogram the dash and odometer to match.
Doh! That's kind of what I figured.. The GT500 dash would be a nice little upgrade to the dash in terms of looks, although I would rather spend the money on something to make the car faster.

That is sort of one pet peeve I have always had, spending money to get the car back to where it should be "stock." If I spend money on my car I want it to add speed, you know?