Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Help!!! Is my clutch out????

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/08, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!!! Is my clutch out????

my car is a v6 05 mustang

So my car has been parked for about a week while i put my stereo in speakers and head unit. I just got every thing put back together and the thing wont go in to 1-2-and R. The clutch does not feel normal (not a lot of resistance) the battery did get ran down at one point in time, completely dead. The car has 34000 and i dont ride the clutch. Is there something i did wrong. Something behind the head unit or in the center consul that got unplugged? (i know it might be a long shot)

I just find it odd that the car had no issue at all and then all of a sudden WAM

I am just thinkin out load but Yesterday i had it started charging up the battery maybe 30mins. could i have had it in gear just in enough not to move the car but shave the clutch down?

AHHHHH any one swap a clutch? How much did it run yah?

thanks guys

Last edited by Blustang05; 5/5/08 at 07:14 PM.
Old 5/8/08, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you saying that you had your car running, in gear, and holding it in place with the clutch for half an hour????
Old 5/8/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

That is what I am wondering too. If it was just idling in neutral, with the clutch pedal totally out, then it should not wear any on the clutch. If you had the pedal pushed in for a long time with it in gear, then you might have worn it down some.
Old 5/8/08, 11:58 PM

no no no I am just saying would it have been possible for the shifter to be past the gate but not fully in gear. I was not in the car while it was running. I think am grasping for straws

Correct me if i am worg but isnt the clutch worn down WHILE in the act of engage or disigage the clutch. If the clutch is Fully depressed everything should be separated and not waring the clutch down... Right? cuse i will sit at a stop light with it in 1st and the clutch in... if thats the case i will need to retrain my driving habits

I am 95% sure that its was nothing like that but i don't have any idea why it would be screwed up. I am now thinking it might be the master or slave cylinder. I going to get it in to ford on Monday or Tuesday
Old 5/9/08, 05:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I would keep it in N at lights untill the other light turns yellow then put it in gear. Will it go into second while the car if off? What happens if you put it in gear and then try to start it?
Old 5/9/08, 08:32 AM

I can get it to go into all gears with the car off. If i put in it 1st and then start the car as soon as you let off the clutch just a little it grabs and the car goes.

i was looking behind the dash and the clutch pedal activates 2 switched one mounted to the fire wall and the other is up near the top of the pedal. I think the one on the fire wall is the switch that tells the car the clutch is depressed and allow the car to start. What is the other switch for?
Old 5/9/08, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't really understand your problem, but the switch at the very bottom of the clutch peddle travel is one of the switches in the starter circuit. The one at the top of the travel is to disengage the cruise control, and maybe for some other things too.
Old 5/9/08, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Keystone
I don't really understand your problem, but the switch at the very bottom of the clutch peddle travel is one of the switches in the starter circuit. The one at the top of the travel is to disengage the cruise control, and maybe for some other things too.

With the car running i cant get it to go into 1-2 or R but it will go into 3-4-5
Old 5/10/08, 02:45 AM
Bullitt Member

thats a pretty strange problem. I certainly hope its fixed but what it sounds like to me is that you are low on clutch fluid. It happening right after a strereo install is just coincidence. while your at it check that the clutch pedal is properly connected to the master cylinder, I havent messed about with the mustang yet but on my other cars the pedal travel was adjustable.

If you arent low and the pedal seems to be right try bleeding the system.

if that doesnt work take it to the dealer, or hell bypass the whole thing if you are still under warranty, they cant blame your clutch issue on your stereo
Old 5/13/08, 07:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
sure sounds like air in the clutch...my f150 slave went bad(started leaking slow) the master only holds about 2~3 ounces so even the slightest leak will let you get air in it- if its just low/got air in it, its easy to tell- just 'pump it up' quickly like you would bleeding brakes- if it goes into gear easy and feels 'normal' after 3-4 quick pumps, get a buddy to help bleed it out(just like a brake bleeder screw under a plug on the bellhousing- on a f150 anyways...) also on my truck, if it wasnt bled REALLY well and allowed to sit for a few days the pedal would get spongy- think any compressed air/foam in the fluid eventually pushes fluid back to the master and leaves a 'bubble' at the top of the slave cylinder- easiest to bleed it also if you let it sit overnight- pump it just once and hold it while someone cracks the bleeder and first shot gets all the air out(bleeder screw towards top of the slave- if it sits a while any bubbles tend to float right up there...if its foamed up from pumping it, you'll have to keep bleeding/refilling a few times...
Old 5/15/08, 08:26 PM

well i have heard back from ford FINALLY.

The clutch is toast. It is wore down to the rivets.

Ford man wanted $700 For parts and another $450 for resurfacing and labor. I told him i was going to try and get a clutch and just have them throw it in.

I checked my local 4x4 shop here in town and he was trying to get me a centerforce duel friction for $500 but non of his suppliers had one. He is going to call me tomorrow and let me know if he can get it from centerforce direct.

I have check most of the online sellers and they are all over a week out just to ship them. are there any other good clutches out there?
Old 5/16/08, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
To bad!! Your clutch should have lasted twice as long as it did...imo
Old 5/16/08, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats is really strange. I have a beater that is 170000 miles and 15 years old still has the original clutch. No slippage. I don't drive like you do but I still think that it shouldn't wear out prematurely. Sounds like ford clutch is substandard?
Old 5/16/08, 07:48 AM
V6 Member

sounds like the masterslave clutch may be bad or leaking check for leaks
Old 5/16/08, 08:20 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well glad you found out what the problem is. I guess now you need to figure out how to make your clutch last longer this time
Old 5/16/08, 10:20 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Blustang05
well i have heard back from ford FINALLY.

The clutch is toast. It is wore down to the rivets.

Ford man wanted $700 For parts and another $450 for resurfacing and labor. I told him i was going to try and get a clutch and just have them throw it in.

I checked my local 4x4 shop here in town and he was trying to get me a centerforce duel friction for $500 but non of his suppliers had one. He is going to call me tomorrow and let me know if he can get it from centerforce direct.

I have check most of the online sellers and they are all over a week out just to ship them. are there any other good clutches out there?

dude check D'agostino Racing - Just got a Centerforce DF from them just over two weeks ago - they may have to order it for you but I can almost guarantee you it'll be cheaper than the $500 that guy quoted you
Old 5/16/08, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

thats crazy, I never got less then 120k out of a clutch and I dont drive very nice. I have 40k on mine now
Old 5/17/08, 12:27 AM

Thing are not looking good!!

Coming direct from Centerforce they wont ship for atleast 3weeks. So i have been forced to call any one i can think of trying to find some one who has it sitting on the self. I have tried several online retailers and i get the same "We can drop ship it direct from centerforce...... in 2-3 weeks"

I did find an online retailer
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...+&N=0&uts=true

That said it was in stock so i called and ordered it. The Guy said it would ship today. I would also get 3 emails confirming this. I was starting to get worried as the emails had not arrived so i did another search and there was alot bad reviews for the company, I mean allot. I was starting tho think that was a quick $400. But i just check the web site for to see if i had a tracking number AND I DO it is coming out of Kansas should be here Monday or Tuesday

I just hope it is the right one!! Like i said i checked All the local shops and 5-6 online guys and this is the only place that had one. I am crossing my fingers that the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true....." is wrong this time