Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gawd awful cold engine noise is from bell housing!

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/07, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gawd awful cold engine noise is from bell housing!

I posted below about a loud rattling noise that I get when the engine is cold. Well I climbed under the car to check it out, and it comes from the bell housing. The sound is like something is loose and bouncing around in there! Once the engine gets to temp it goes away, but it's been lasting longer and longer. My car does have the two bottom bolts, I’ve removed them and pried the cover back to see if it will do it anyway tomorrow.
Anyone else have this? Anyone have any idea what causes this noise?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 6/24/07, 11:58 PM
GT Member

As far as I can tell there is too much free play in the plate on the front, and no gasket. The guys at ford pried mine with a screwdriver, so it did it when hot instead. Grrrrreat. Don't do that. My solution was to get some high temp "Goop" (TM) and rub it in the space between the plate and the tranny housing, basically to make a home gasket. I have done two summers and no problems. You need the 500+ degree C stuff.

-CJ
Old 6/28/07, 10:34 AM
GT Member

From day one, September 22, 2006, my brand new 06 Mustang GT had a "rattling" noise seemingly coming from the transmission area. I bought the car anyway, and drove it for about 3 months until I took it to the dealer. I had narrowed the noise down to the bellhousing area also. It took them a couple of lengthy visits to determine that the torque converter needed to be replaced. I have not noticed the noise since. Knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.
Old 6/28/07, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Whoops! Wrong year. I bought it in 2005.
Old 7/5/07, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

See my post "Thank you Ford" I had a similar issue only mine was more severe. It's being covered by warranty. BTW there is no gasket between the bell housing and block if that's what you were talking about. Nothing there to leak therefore no gasket. Never was, never will be.