Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Gas tank issue part 2

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/07, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sent a nast e-mail to Ford about this. It has been happening more and more frequently on mine. Last night it clicked off after putting in 1 gallon. 1 gallon!!! It took me 15 minutes just to get 8 gallons in before I got so ****ed off I left with a half tank.

My e-mail was pretty heated, and included references to *gasp* GM and Toyota. "I bet those cars don't have problems filling up with gas. Maybe I'll have to start looking for a Toyota for my next vehicle." Don't worry, I would never drive an import, but Ford doesn't know that.
Old 8/16/07, 07:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess no one has tried my method????
Old 11/29/07, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

Angry

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I guess no one has tried my method????
Your method doesn't work for me at all. I can't get the gas to stay on for more than a few seconds at most, and that's on the absolute slowest setting (barely flowing fuel). It also spills out several times, even on the slow setting, despite moving the nozzle all over the place. My '06 GT has been at the dealer for 2 days trying to resolve the gas tank issue. They called me back today and said I have the newest gas tank, and that there's nothing they can do. They gave me the number for Ford Customer Care.

I'm really ****ed at the moment. How can Ford let a problem like this go unsolved? Try a different pump? I've tried every pump near my house, and we've also tried getting gas in 6 different counties without success (meaning I don't have to hear it click off every few seconds). I haven't had more than 1/4 tank of gas in my car for 2 months because it takes forever to fill.

I will call Ford Customer Care tomorrow and see where that goes. I can't imagine it's going to go very far.

joe
Old 12/5/07, 08:40 PM

I had the same issues with my 07 GT. It was just my luck that I was on a roadtrip and was over 200 miles away from home. I went to several gas stations and the pump just kept clicking off after a second or two. It took me 20 minutes to fill up half of my tank. Once I got back home it stopped doing it. It has happened a time or two since. Next time it starts acting up I guess I will have to take it into the dealer even though it sounds like they don't know how to fix it.
Old 12/5/07, 08:47 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Try pulling the nozzle slightly out a little, my jeep does the same thing when the nozzle is inserted fully. Some nozzles arent affected.
Old 12/17/07, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Try pulling the nozzle slightly out a little, my jeep does the same thing when the nozzle is inserted fully. Some nozzles arent affected.
Believe me, I've tried every permutation. When it's 20 degrees outside and it won't fill up, you try everything you can so that you can get back into the warm car! I still haven't called Ford Customer Care, because I'm dreading the arguing and denying the problem that will happen.

joe
Old 12/22/07, 08:01 AM

I used to have the same problem when I bought my GT in July. It took me about 20 minutes to put 12gallons in it. My dealership replaced the gas tank...took it to the gas station and it didn't change a thing. So I went back and talked to the service tech he in turn talked it over with his lead mechanic( a Mustang guy for 30+ years) he recommended that we replace the filler neck....After he changed it out...it works beautifully!! I would recommend you give it a try.
Old 12/22/07, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive a 05 GT that has this problem intermittently and I've just decided to live with it rather than let a dealer pull the tank. I think it has more to do with the fuel delivery pressure at the different stations.

Some days it won't fill with out shuting off unless I pull the gas pump nozzel back out just a tad. All cars have their quirks, I just live with this one.

GG
Old 12/22/07, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

Same prob on my 05 here in UK. 15 litres max at slow speed with nozle out and upside down. Every one thinks i must have a massive tank and are so pistoff when found out i just put few quid.
Old 12/23/07, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eduardo de Sousa
Same prob on my 05 here in UK. 15 litres max at slow speed with nozle out and upside down. Every one thinks i must have a massive tank and are so pistoff when found out i just put few quid.
Many Americans probably don't understand what a few quid is my friend, you might want to explain.

By the way how much per gallon is gas in jolly old right now.

GG
Old 12/24/07, 01:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This can best be described with an SAT analogy...

Quid is to Pounds as Bucks is to Dollars

Old 12/25/07, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

Sorry few pounds a meant.

At the moment for 99 octanes 1.08 pounds a litre. So if a gallon is aprox 4 lts total is $8.64 per gallon. Happy days!.
Old 12/25/07, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

If i take the Mustang to work it cost me around $20 for a round trip journey of 40 min.

Bless my 1995, 140 000miles Golf who keeps my petrol costs down so i can drive the beast when sunny weather.
Old 12/27/07, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WyoSilver
I used to have the same problem when I bought my GT in July. It took me about 20 minutes to put 12gallons in it. My dealership replaced the gas tank...took it to the gas station and it didn't change a thing. So I went back and talked to the service tech he in turn talked it over with his lead mechanic( a Mustang guy for 30+ years) he recommended that we replace the filler neck....After he changed it out...it works beautifully!! I would recommend you give it a try.
I wish I could convince them to replace the filler neck, since that certainly appears to be the issue. Of course, if it hasn't been re-designed, then I'm not 100% sure what it would resolve. Everytime I talk to the dealer, they say according to the TSB, its working the way its supposed to, even though its not right. I am calling Ford tomorrow since I have the day off and will have time to argue with people.

joe
Old 12/27/07, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just for your information, while talking to your dealer...I filled my 07 GT/CS this afternoon. It was just at a quarter of a tank. The outside temperature was 18 degrees. I filled it in less then 5 minutes, and no shut offs until the tank was full, then the auto shut off on the nozzle engaged.

I have filled this car in Minnesota, South Dakota, Colorado, Texas, Kansas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. It has never malfunctioned as you described.

Your car in not operating within specs if you cannot fill your tank, there has to be something wrong. The filler neck may have been damaged when it was originally installed (dented ?) causing an obstruction which results in fuel backing up into the nozzle triggering the auto shut off (a guess).

Mention to the dealer this could be considered a safety issue and you are notifying NHTSA of the problem and their failure(the dealer) to correct it.
Old 12/28/07, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JoeInAZ
I wish I could convince them to replace the filler neck, since that certainly appears to be the issue. Of course, if it hasn't been re-designed, then I'm not 100% sure what it would resolve. Everytime I talk to the dealer, they say according to the TSB, its working the way its supposed to, even though its not right. I am calling Ford tomorrow since I have the day off and will have time to argue with people.

joe
It's a shame that you have a dealer that won't go the extra mile for you. If your filler neck and tank are working correctly, then Ford should be at a minimum...embarrassed to the core! Such a simple and probable solution for the problem. What a chance for them to build customer trust and Brand loyalty....and they are blowing it! Good luck in your quest, I hope you get the problem fixed soon for your peace of mind!
Old 12/28/07, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
This works for me. I've been doing it since the car was new. Otherwise, the pump will continually shut off, but it won't shut off when the tank is actually full!

The drill now is to stick the nozzle all the way in, then pull it out maybe an inch and that has worked for 26K miles so far.
Old 12/28/07, 01:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by WyoSilver
It's a shame that you have a dealer that won't go the extra mile for you. If your filler neck and tank are working correctly, then Ford should be at a minimum...embarrassed to the core! Such a simple and probable solution for the problem. What a chance for them to build customer trust and Brand loyalty....and they are blowing it! Good luck in your quest, I hope you get the problem fixed soon for your peace of mind!

I'm on the phone with Ford Customer Care right now. I'm actually on hold. My favorite line so far was "and what would you like out of this call?". We'll see where this goes.

Update 1: The car is operating within normal specs. Register at genuineservice.com so that you can get any updates if Ford decides to make any changes. I'm now on hold to speak to his manager, since that's completely unacceptable.

joe
Old 12/28/07, 02:07 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by JoeInAZ
When it's 20 degrees outside and it won't fill up, you try everything you can so that you can get back into the warm car!
And all the while wondering why you left Arizona
Old 12/28/07, 02:14 PM
V6 Member

Update #2 - Shannon (Manager of customer service) says that there's nothing they can do. If the dealer says it's fine, then their hands are tied. She would not allow me to escalate to anyone further. So I'm going to call another dealer and schedule an appointment to bring it in.

At this point, I'm advising everyone in Indianapolis to stay away from BURD FORD (on Pendleton Pike, just east off I-465). Apparently not standing up for the consumer is the way they do business.

At this point, I'm seriously thinking about trading in my 2006 Ford Mustang GT (2 years old & < 10k miles) on something non-Ford. I'll still have my '66 Mustang coupe to love and cherish.

joe

Quick Reply: Gas tank issue part 2