Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/06, 11:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
If you don't order the IUP, it doesn't come with a trip computer. I don't mind the $400, but I did mind all the ugly chrome.
Old 10/19/06, 12:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was not able to order mine as I got it how the dealership got it.
Old 10/19/06, 12:51 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by sviper
I was not able to order mine as I got it how the dealership got it.

I understand. I'm just saying that if you order a car or get a car with the IUP, you will get the trip computer. I think they are over-rated anyhow. I just use the trip odometer.
Old 10/19/06, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I don't mind the $400, but I did mind all the ugly chrome.
You would rather have the ugly plastic?
Old 10/19/06, 01:35 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RottenRonny
You would rather have the ugly plastic?
MOST DEFINITELY! The plastic in today's cars don't look as bad as the Fox body mustangs which resembled Toyota interiors at the time.

If the IUP had consisted of only My Color, the 2 extra dummy gauges, and the trip computer, I would have gladly paid the $400. The Sport Appearance Package also has a neat 2 tone color scheme (black carpet and seats) but unfortunately, it came with a bunch of fugly chrome parts, otherwise I would have ordered both the IUP and Sport Appearance Package. If Ford paid me to order it with the chrome interior parts, I would have take a few weeks to consider it.

You don't understand how much I dislike chrome/shiny parts inside and outside of the car!!
Old 10/19/06, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

MOST DEFINITELY! The plastic in today's cars don't look as bad as the Fox body mustangs which resembled Toyota interiors at the time.

If the IUP had consisted of only My Color, the 2 extra dummy gauges, and the trip computer, I would have gladly paid the $400. The Sport Appearance Package also has a neat 2 tone color scheme (black carpet and seats) but unfortunately, it came with a bunch of fugly chrome parts, otherwise I would have ordered both the IUP and Sport Appearance Package. If Ford paid me to order it with the chrome interior parts, I would have take a few weeks to consider it.

You don't understand how much I dislike chrome/shiny parts inside and outside of the car!!
Wow. I've never heard that opinion before. To each his own, I guess.

I ordered IUP for the opposite reason. I could care less about 2 dummy guages or a fuel computer. I didn't want the inside of my car looking like it came from tupperware.
Old 10/19/06, 03:23 PM
GTR Member

Heh! I like the tupper ware look. All of my Fords are like that and I don't mind at all. Then again, I really like Glocks ...
Old 10/19/06, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh! Then again, I really like Glocks ...
Right on, Glocks are awesome! Indestructable, reliable, near zero maintanence...
Old 10/20/06, 10:00 PM
GT Member

While I picked up the Mustang today and they(Ford) let me know that the “Water Dr. “ sealed 6 spots that could have been leaking and causing the problem. They said that changing the smart junction box did the trick, but I am skeptical and won’t really know until I fill up tomorrow.
Old 10/21/06, 08:31 PM
GT Member

I filled up today and the fix worked. No problems now
Old 10/22/06, 10:13 AM
V6 Member

I'm kind of a Mustang nut and tend to look through all of the different mustang boards. Having done so, I have seen many similar posts of erratic guage, brake light, etc problems and multiple posts on water leaks around the passenger side kick panel shorting out the box - seems to be a very common problem that not many owners know they have. Some people, after having read about the leak, have reached up under their carpet pads to find moisture, while others have been wondering where the musty smell in their cars has been coming from. These leaks may well indeed be the very source of your problem.

Do a search on leaks, etc and you will see what I mean.
Old 10/23/06, 05:02 PM

Well, I haven't noticed any leaks in my car yet, so I am unsure if that is what is causing my concern. My Mustang is back in the shop today for the fuel gauge going from 1/4 tank to empty with the gas light on all of a sudden. It is also in for very odd engine performance including the accelerator pedal not doing anything when pressed on more than one occassion. Perhaps the two problems are related...who knows...Ford certainly doesn't have a clue about what is wrong. At least I have a Ford Freestyle rent-a-car this time instead of the lacking Nissan Sentra I got last time.
Old 10/24/06, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SilverBacon
Well, I haven't noticed any leaks in my car yet, so I am unsure if that is what is causing my concern. My Mustang is back in the shop today for the fuel gauge going from 1/4 tank to empty with the gas light on all of a sudden. It is also in for very odd engine performance including the accelerator pedal not doing anything when pressed on more than one occassion. Perhaps the two problems are related...who knows...Ford certainly doesn't have a clue about what is wrong. At least I have a Ford Freestyle rent-a-car this time instead of the lacking Nissan Sentra I got last time.

Make sure they(ford) checks the Smart junction box, also on mine the engine management chip was telling the tech that I have a vert when I have a coupe.
Old 10/25/06, 12:44 PM

Well, they just gave me a call back regarding my car and have decided to replace a sending unit...again. I am going to suggest to them the smart junction part when I go pick it up in a couple days. This isn't the first or second time the senders have been replaced in my car, so there has to be something else wrong. They keep saying they are finding shorts in the sending units, which makes me think something else in the car is causing it. Of all the problems that could happen in a car, this is one I did not expect to be so troublesome.
Old 10/26/06, 12:10 PM
GT Member

That was the exact problem with mine they would replace the sending unit and then get either there was a short or fuel level high problem with no fuel in the tank. The problem is the smart junction box and needs to be replaced. Tell them to replace it don't suggest it but tell them this is a known issue. No TSB at this point that I know of, but this is what finally corrected my problem.
Old 5/12/07, 05:20 AM

My 2005 GT Convertible started having same problem. (April - May 2007) Drove to work (5 miles) looked at gas gauge and it was empty and the little pump symbol was lit. Thought some one had stole my gas. Just filled it night before. Pulled to side of road, turned off motor, restarted and gauge came back up slowly. Two weeks later same thing but gauge slowly crept up to normal by the time I got to work. Took a 120 mile trip, no problems. Week later, filled up same problem but gauge stayed at zero until after shutting down and sitting a while. Now check engine light has lit. With light lit I haven't had a problem and have drove four times thinking light may go out. (Car has only had Chevron but it is a shacky run down Chevron looking dealer) I park on a 10 degree slope at home nose low and Mustang is only driven twice a week.. I hate to go to shop after reading what is instore for me. I do read computer wires to tank left and right side fixs problem. Any later info will help me.
Old 5/16/07, 06:27 AM

Fuel Gauge TSB 06-10-13 Test Code PO463

Shop replaced both senders 226420 and 226421 May 15 th 2007

Had 3/4 tank gas, came back with 1/4. Hope senders are working or they had to remove gas.

TSB 06-10-13 and Test Code PO 463. Ford of Pompano had senders and car was out in 1/2 a day.

Ford also said my legend lime door handles were broken and replaced them.
Old 7/9/07, 05:27 PM

Again been in shop Nine days for fuel gauge

Driving to work on I-95 only 40 days after I had both fuel tank

sensors replaced with a 3/8 tank left indicated on my fuel gauge, the 2005 GT studdered and I ran out of gas. Made it to the side of the

road and I walked 3 miles for 1 1/2 gallons of gas. The car was turned

over to Ford July 2 at 10 am. Tommorrow will be July 10th and it still sits

there. They claim they received two wrong boards on the 3 rd and now

they this afternoon (July 9th) said Ford sent new number boards to

try. I guess now I am an experiment.
Old 7/10/07, 01:14 PM

Baby's back home........Again

Ford replaced 4R3Z-9275-DA sender 022840 and 5R3Z-9H307-AC sender 252404 this time, I think they said these are improved boards.

Last time they replaced 7R3Z-0A299-C sender 226420 and 7R3Z-9275-C sender 226421.

Fuel tank senders.. They filled my tank and I went to Chevron and I was only able to put in two gallons. So I Think I am full.
Old 7/15/07, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

My car was hit in the front on May 28, it was in the shop for 6 weeks and I just got it back. The gas gauge read read 3/4 of a tank. I was taking a trip and decided to fill up before getting to far down the road.. Took 12 gallons to fill it up. Drove 150+ miles and the gauge didn't move. I never had a gas gauge problem before now. After 200+ it finally went down a little. When the car is shut off the gauge slows down at where I would think it should be and then slowly goes back to almost full. Does this sound like something the Techron or Seafoam might cure or is this the TSB problem?

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem