Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/06, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fuel gauge stopped working three days after I picked up the car. Every now and then it will work for half a day or so. The car has been in to the dealer for repairs and still does not work. Here is what they have done so far:

First trip, they put an addative in the tank and said to run BP gas for 3 tanks because of the TSB on the corrosion on the sending unit. Did not work.

Second trip, they had a conf call with some engineers in Detroit since they could not figure it out and it was decided to replace the fuel sending unit, and it was orderd.

Third trip, they replaced the fuel sending unit, and the gauge worked for half a day. They are suppose to get back with Detroit again.

Also, they said they tested the gauge and it works fine.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what did they do to fix your issue?

Thanks!
Old 4/28/06, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sensors in the gas tank where cleaned twice. After my third visit I was told to use Chevron Techron. I have not hand any further problem with the gas gauge or sensor unit.
Old 4/28/06, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I had this issue last month when I drove 600 miles to indiana and filled up but it went away after I got back home. I figured it was crap gas.
Old 4/28/06, 09:15 PM

I am surprised that Ford hasn't fixed the problem yet. There was a TSB on them back when I got my 05GT. The gas gauge went out and there were filler problems. They ended up replacing the whole tank including filler and sensors. It would set off engine codes when the gauge would read empty. I would suggest checking for TSB's on the matter on NHTSA site.
Old 5/3/06, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

My fuel gauge just stopped working this weekend, also. It still reads full with 160 miles since filling up and I know I don't get THAT good of mileage.
Old 5/25/06, 09:07 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Erratic Fuel Gauge TSB:

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...el%20gauge.pdf
Old 5/25/06, 06:29 PM
V6 Member

I had a problem with my gas gauge today, for the first time. This morning when I left the house I had over a quarter tank of gas. It's a 5 mile drive to work. When I went out for lunch, I started the car and the gauge was on E and the counter said 0 miles to empty. I thought somebody siphoned all of the gas out of my car!

I went straight to the gas station and filled it up (took 10 gallons). I realized at that point that the gauge was wrong. Once I restarted the car it was fine, and has been fine since.

The GT has sat for the last week or so, and the tank of gas has been in it for almost 3 weeks. I don't know if that could have something to do with it. We've had such good weather that I've been sharing time between the '66 Mustang and my motorcycle!

joe
Old 6/1/06, 08:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you think that TSB would solve my problem?

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=46092
Old 6/2/06, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
do you think that TSB would solve my problem?

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=46092
I had the same problem, the fix suggested by my service guy was to add a bottle of Techron to the tank a couple of times. It seems that the gas we have here in AZ is high in sulpher and that is causing issues with the silver in the sending unit.

Worked OK the first couple of fill-ups, but now it is back to slow to show full. But after the gas sits in the tank for a bit, it goes right up. I will probably bring it up again next time I go in.

Jim
Old 6/2/06, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JPepping
I had the same problem, the fix suggested by my service guy was to add a bottle of Techron to the tank a couple of times. It seems that the gas we have here in AZ is high in sulpher and that is causing issues with the silver in the sending unit.

Worked OK the first couple of fill-ups, but now it is back to slow to show full. But after the gas sits in the tank for a bit, it goes right up. I will probably bring it up again next time I go in.

Jim
is that just an additive that you can pick up at like walmart or something?
Old 6/2/06, 09:45 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Techron is available at most of your local Chevron stations. Both in the gas and at the counter in a 12-16 oz bottle.
Also some of the Autozones, PEP boys, Advanced Auto and O'Rileys carry it, at least here in Bama they do.
I have not been able to find it in Walmart or NAPA stores here.
The sulfer problem sounds like the same issue that the Texaco/Shell Stations on the Gulf here were having several months ago. Got more than Stang fuel sending units.
Old 6/3/06, 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TDS
Techron is available at most of your local Chevron stations. Both in the gas and at the counter in a 12-16 oz bottle.
Also some of the Autozones, PEP boys, Advanced Auto and O'Rileys carry it, at least here in Bama they do.
I have not been able to find it in Walmart or NAPA stores here.
The sulfer problem sounds like the same issue that the Texaco/Shell Stations on the Gulf here were having several months ago. Got more than Stang fuel sending units.
we dont have any chevrons around here, i went to advance auto to get some and the guy told me this was better than that

i picked up a 16oz bottle and added it to what was left in my tank (about a gallon) then went drove a mile and filled up...after the fill up the guage was still "frozen"...i didnt know if it would be instant or not...oh well time will tell on the next fill up

thanks for the info
Old 6/12/06, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

woohoo!!!

2 full tanks after the seafoam and its back to normal
Old 6/15/06, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

I had a problem with my gas gauge today, for the first time. This morning when I left the house I had over a quarter tank of gas. It's a 5 mile drive to work. When I went out for lunch, I started the car and the gauge was on E and the counter said 0 miles to empty. I thought somebody siphoned all of the gas out of my car!

I went straight to the gas station and filled it up (took 10 gallons). I realized at that point that the gauge was wrong. Once I restarted the car it was fine, and has been fine since.

The GT has sat for the last week or so, and the tank of gas has been in it for almost 3 weeks. I don't know if that could have something to do with it. We've had such good weather that I've been sharing time between the '66 Mustang and my motorcycle!

joe
I had a similar problem. I was out of town for a few days in May. The car (2006 Mustang GT) sat for 6 days in my garage here in Gilbert, AZ. When I started it up, I heard an alarm. I looked down, and there was a message that said I had 16 miles to go until empty. My first thought was my brother stole my gas .

I was pretty sure I still had almost half a tank, but I went right to the gas station to play it safe. I filled it with about 9.6 gallons, which made sense, since the trip meter said I drove 172 miles since the last fill up. The message center said I had used 9.4 gallons, so that was ablout right too.

I figured there was a problem with the gauge. Either that or something was reset since I hadn't driven it for a while. Since that fill up, I haven't had that problem again. I filled it up yesterday, and everything was fine.

I didn't imagine a high sulfer content would cause this. I will keep an eye on it, and if it happens again, I'll try one of the suggestions here. Thanks for the info!
Old 7/2/06, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Did any of you get a check engine light as well? My first issue with my '06.
Old 7/3/06, 08:45 PM
V6 Member

I didn't get a check engine light. Just an audible alarm (dinging), and the message on the dash that I only had 16 miles to empty.

I haven't had the problem again since then.
Old 7/4/06, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Took her in. I got parts on order for that TSB. So the advice was just to make sure it is full. I am going to try the some additive.
Old 10/13/06, 10:06 PM
GT Member

Question

Issue: When filling from empty and with the key in the "on" position it will register at half a tank and 45 minutes later it register finally at "full"

Troubleshooting steps taken:
I have had my fuel sending units replaced with 2007 version, the engine management module has been manually reprogrammed. Detroit enginnering has been contacted and my car is still in the dealer as we speak. It has been there since Monday of this week. They also disconnected my after market alarm system to ensure that it was not feeding back to the smart junction box and creating a problem.(It was ruled out) They checked the gauge cluster and monitor the fuel level as it was filling and after doing all that, still no resolution.

I would appreciate any advise.
Old 10/14/06, 03:23 AM

Wow...I know exactly how you feel with your fuel gauge. My 06 has been in the shop more than a few times for the same thing. The first time they replaced the two sender units per the TSB, the next time they found a short in one of them and replaced one of their new sending units, then they replaced two wiring components just recently. My gauge enjoyed going from 1/4 tank to zero very quickly and I was even stuck on the side of the road once because of that. My dealer was also in contact with the engineering department at Ford, but that got them no where. Amazingly, this past week, I drove 100 miles in 2 gallons of gas according to the gauge!

As much as I love my Mustang, I find it ridiculous that they are unable to fix this problem for some of us. First warning lights coming on for no reason...then my gas gauge not working for months...and most recently my electronic throttle went out as I was entering a freeway...fun times getting towed. Love the car and haven't done anything to it, but upgrade the wheels, so hopefully they fix it and I can get more stuff done to it.
Old 10/14/06, 06:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Water in the gas will also cause similar problems.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem