Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fuel gauge going crazy with message and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/13, 06:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Fuel gauge going crazy with message and CEL

I have a 2006 GT and recently have a strange problem. The car fuel tank is full, the gas gauge reads full on start up and then after a two minute time frame, the following things happen. There is a single chime from the instrument cluster, the gas gauge goes to full empty, and the following message appears on the dash display, "low fuel DTE FLI Data ERR" and a check engine comes on. The car runs fine. I have cleared the codes once with a battery disconnect but the same message has come back. Anyone else had this issue or does anyone know where I should start?
Old 4/6/13, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure the fuel cap is tight?
Old 4/26/13, 12:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have found a fix thanks to Google. I placed the information into Google and a wealth of information showed up on this well know problem. Many folks had replaced fuel pumps and fuel gauge sensors at great expense and hassle. All of these units are inside the car under the back seat...what a mess for sure. Others had luck just filling their tanks with either Seafoam or Techron fuel additive. I went the Techron method and so far so good after clearing the engine codes and lights. On the back of the Techron bottle, it actually states that their product will dissolve the built up of gasoline sulfur deposits that effect fuel sending units. The Ford TSB says nothing about this solution but heads right to pump / sensor replacement. Hope that this helps others. I have only 43K on my car.
Old 5/23/13, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to my 05 after 11,800 miles. I used Techron twice and the problem disappeared. Now at 94,000 miles and still no issue. The original TSB said to use the Techron first and replace the sender if that did not work. Back then the dealer gave me a bottle at no charge.
Old 6/2/13, 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
TSB 06-10-13 Erratic Fuel Gauge