Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fix for gas pump shut-off?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/05, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way back in January before I got my '05, I remember seeing a post about people having trouble filling up their '05s at the gas station because the pump kept on shutting off. I put it out of my mind because I didn't even know if it was going to be an issue with mine or not.

Well, I'm sad to say that I have that problem A LOT. It seems that every gas station I go to I have to dribble the gas in because the pump keeps on shutting off as if the car is already full. I try everything, like filling it slower or changing the angle at which the pump goes in. Nothing consistently works. Did Ford just choose a crappy angle for their fuel inlet?

I apologize if this is a topic already covered a lot, but I haven't been on this site in a long while. I checked back a few pages for threads, but didn't see any.

Any one know of any fixes?

Thanks!!

Regards,
Barry
Old 9/3/05, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Oceansize72@September 3, 2005, 12:06 PM
Way back in January before I got my '05, I remember seeing a post about people having trouble filling up their '05s at the gas station because the pump kept on shutting off. I put it out of my mind because I didn't even know if it was going to be an issue with mine or not.

Well, I'm sad to say that I have that problem A LOT. It seems that every gas station I go to I have to dribble the gas in because the pump keeps on shutting off as if the car is already full. I try everything, like filling it slower or changing the angle at which the pump goes in. Nothing consistently works. Did Ford just choose a crappy angle for their fuel inlet?

I apologize if this is a topic already covered a lot, but I haven't been on this site in a long while. I checked back a few pages for threads, but didn't see any.

Any one know of any fixes?

Thanks!!

Regards,
Barry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxi..._08fueltank.pdf
Old 9/3/05, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this issue... I've attached the PDF of it.

All of the TSBs can be found in a sticky right above these topics.

I had the same issue, and got the TSB done a few months ago - haven't had a problem since.

To make things easier, you may want to bring a copy of it with you to the dealership for reference.

Also, if you're heading to the dealer anyway, take a look through the other TSBs and make sure you don't have any of the other issues. If you do, you could get them taken care of at the same time (for example, the "strut popping" one).
Old 9/4/05, 12:43 AM

Wow guess I should have checked out the TSB thread. I thought I was being a good community member by reading the FAQ first. Thanks for the head's-up!
Old 9/4/05, 05:53 AM
GT Member

I hope they resolved this with the '06's. Anyone know?
-Marci
Old 9/4/05, 06:18 AM
GT Member

The fuel tank problem only involves Mustangs built before april 05.
Old 9/4/05, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get my stang until June 23rd, and when they called to tell me it was in, they also told me that a new fuel tank had already been ordered due to the above problem. I guess there were a few old tanks lying around. After switching, I have had no problems.
Old 9/4/05, 06:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by StangGrl@September 4, 2005, 6:56 AM
I hope they resolved this with the '06's. Anyone know?
-Marci
I took delivery of my '06 GT last Thursday (9/1). The dealership filled up the tank for me and the pump never shut off. After I used about a 1/4 tank of gas, I went to fill it up at the gas station I use all the time for my previous daily driver. I put the nozzle in the car, pulled the handle, and it shut off on me immediately. I squeezed the handle 4 times, and 4 times it shut of right away. Even the lightest sqeeze on the handle would make it shut off. Then I turned the nozzle at a 45 degree angle and it filled up fine. So far, I've only put gas in it this one time, but my initial impression is that YES, this problem still exists.
Old 9/4/05, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's the new laws about containing fuel vapor I think. I have a feeling the gas pumps are going to have to be made to work with newer cars. My problems vary by the gas station, and just a few days ago I couldn't get over a gallon in, but I didn't bother trying the nozzle trick because I was just topping up after filling a gas can.

My car was built April 15th by the way.
Old 9/4/05, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by KB9KHM@September 4, 2005, 8:57 AM
I took delivery of my '06 GT last Thursday (9/1). The dealership filled up the tank for me and the pump never shut off. After I used about a 1/4 tank of gas, I went to fill it up at the gas station I use all the time for my previous daily driver. I put the nozzle in the car, pulled the handle, and it shut off on me immediately. I squeezed the handle 4 times, and 4 times it shut of right away. Even the lightest sqeeze on the handle would make it shut off. Then I turned the nozzle at a 45 degree angle and it filled up fine. So far, I've only put gas in it this one time, but my initial impression is that YES, this problem still exists.
That's not good news

Between Mark's gas tank problems, and Tom's (Vistablue) skipping Shaker 500, I'm starting to think Ford hasn't learned its lessons

Guess I'll find out shortly
Old 9/5/05, 03:51 AM
GT Member

Arrow

As to the fuel fill up shut off problem, my 2005 Mustang GT was built Apr 18 and its has the fuel shut off problem. Rather than have someone with little care for my car pull the tank I'll live with it for a while. Maybe when I get back to the states I'll look further into it.
Mike
Old 9/7/05, 10:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I was talking to a Ford mechanic today and asked him about any repairs done on the mustangs and rattled off a few of the problems I have noted here. We got on the gas tank subject, and he said what they have been doing is replaving the "flappers" in the Filler tube. They are getting stuck. Take this for what you may. I have no more info than that. I can picture what they are, and do, I guess.
Old 9/8/05, 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I dont know the actual "build date" of my car, but I picked my car up 2nd week in april. I have found some gas pumps work fine, not one problem, while other gas pumps cut off constantly. I am going to deal with it for a little while longer, maybe just before winter when Ihave to put the car up, I'll have the dealer change it out.

Sam
Old 9/8/05, 06:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Turn the nozzle upside down and push it into the tank. Works fine. Learned that from watching my gas station attendant do that once.
Old 9/8/05, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Story’s have it newer gas pumps are more sensitive than older ones. Ours works fine at some stations and the problem persists at others. Check around and fine the ones that work well with the O5's filler neck.
Old 9/8/05, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

My car was built the first week of July 2005 (how's that for American!). I have experienced this problem one time. What I did to fix it was get a napkin and wipe ANY and ALL fuel spillage around the gas tank opening. After that, it worked fine. So, I guess in my case, the gas tank opening has to be extremely clean, not a drop of fuel anywhere that could cause extra vapors.
Old 9/11/05, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hate to tell you, but..............

I got my '05 GT in October 2004. Had problems with the gas fill-up, replaced the tank during the winter, and now the problem is starting again! I don't know what to think. The car has 26,000 miles on her. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 9/11/05, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I just picked up my 06 on Tuesday, and filled up yesterday with the pump shutting off numerous times. I will try a different station, because I also had this issue occasionally with my 03 4runner.
Old 9/13/05, 05:19 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@September 8, 2005, 7:20 AM
I was talking to a Ford mechanic today and asked him about any repairs done on the mustangs and rattled off a few of the problems I have noted here. We got on the gas tank subject, and he said what they have been doing is replaving the "flappers" in the Filler tube. They are getting stuck. Take this for what you may. I have no more info than that. I can picture what they are, and do, I guess.
sounds like

I have a brand new 06 V6. Yep, I have to pull the gas pump nozzle leftward to fill up. If I don't angle it, it shuts off.
Old 9/13/05, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by army_eod@September 13, 2005, 7:22 PM
sounds like

I have a brand new 06 V6. Yep, I have to pull the gas pump nozzle leftward to fill up. If I don't angle it, it shuts off.

1st time I put gas in no problem 2nd time was a challenge, I just kept trying different positions till it flowed smoothly.

Quick Reply: Fix for gas pump shut-off?