Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Excessive heat...shifter/center console

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/07, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive heat...shifter/center console

I took my '07 GT for a spin the other night. It was probably 80 some degrees outside. I noticed an excessive amount of heat coming from the shifter/center console area. It felt like I had the heater on and hot air was blowing from the opening in the E-brake. I had my house key in the cupholders and it was warm to the touch when I took it out. I would guess if I had a cold bottle of water in the cupholder at the start of my spin it would have been rather warm water at the end. Also, I was not running it hard. Just a normal spin around town.

Anyway, I have never noticed this amount of heat before. Maybe it has always been there and I didn't notice or maybe something is wrong. Can anyone tell me if their car does the same thing to put my mind at ease or can someone tell me there is something wrong & get it checked out ASAP!
Old 5/25/07, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Your car's probably normal. Mine make lots of heat to the floor boards and shifter console in the summer. I think it's because the heater core pipes give off heat big time, under the cover, just to the right of the gas pedal. The trans/driveshaft tunnel is also pretty tall and probably holds heat not getting much airflow in slow city driving. The cars door windows are very high so you don't get good airflow to the floor when windows are open as well. I find I have to use the A/C on floor/dash to alleviate the problem.
I believe this is what bugs me the most about this car. The floor is extremely hot in warm weather and freezes my feet in minus 30 weather in the winter due to a poor HVAC design. At least I have the A/C to cool the floor in the summer.
Old 5/26/07, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by COCHISE
I took my '07 GT for a spin the other night. It was probably 80 some degrees outside. I noticed an excessive amount of heat coming from the shifter/center console area. It felt like I had the heater on and hot air was blowing from the opening in the E-brake. I had my house key in the cupholders and it was warm to the touch when I took it out. I would guess if I had a cold bottle of water in the cupholder at the start of my spin it would have been rather warm water at the end. Also, I was not running it hard. Just a normal spin around town.

Anyway, I have never noticed this amount of heat before. Maybe it has always been there and I didn't notice or maybe something is wrong. Can anyone tell me if their car does the same thing to put my mind at ease or can someone tell me there is something wrong & get it checked out ASAP!
I've noticed the same thing now that the weathers warming up.
Old 5/26/07, 07:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice thing in the winter you have a place to warm your hands
Old 5/29/07, 08:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
now I have a place to put my hand

Old 6/7/07, 02:46 PM
GT Member

HA, yeah, I experience the excessive heat issue, too.
I actually noticed the issue of heat coming from the vents when the heater's not even on a while ago.

Just file this issue, along with the laundry list of other annoyances, gripes, issues and problems with this vehicle, under:

It's A Ford.

Old 6/7/07, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
now I have a place to put my hand

Classic!! Hahahaha!!!
Old 6/8/07, 07:14 AM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by atomicvibe
HA, yeah, I experience the excessive heat issue, too.
I actually noticed the issue of heat coming from the vents when the heater's not even on a while ago.

Just file this issue, along with the laundry list of other annoyances, gripes, issues and problems with this vehicle, under:

It's A Ford.

File it with "it's a $25k car". Quit expecting a $110,000 BMW M6.
Old 6/13/07, 08:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
You happen to have a pair of exhaust pipes and catalytic converters underneath that floor pan as well... heat rises, right in to your driveshaft tunnel.

My guess is that it's normal. Every 'Stang I have ever owned put out a lot of heat through the vents and the center console. No big deal.
Old 6/14/07, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I never noticed anything. I mean it will weld your hand to the shifter after sitting around all day in the sun, but once the interior is cool or on overcast days I never noticed even the aluminum shifter getting above 'room' temperature. It is a nice cool day in the 70s today and overcast and it felt quite nice. Actually I'm going out now to touch my shifter some more.....
Old 6/20/07, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eci
File it with "it's a $25k car". Quit expecting a $110,000 BMW M6.

Agreed. It's normal, and not a problem, so why worry /whine about it?
Old 6/20/07, 07:57 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was not 'whining' about it as far I can see - the guy was asking a question.
Old 6/21/07, 04:11 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
You happen to have a pair of exhaust pipes and catalytic converters underneath that floor pan as well... heat rises, right in to your driveshaft tunnel.
hmm.. does dynamat provide thermal insulation too?
would be nice and easy to add a few down there..
Old 6/21/07, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Summit sells a thermal / heat barrier sheeting....You could line the tunnel with that and see if it helps....be prepared, it's not cheap..

hags1
Old 6/22/07, 07:31 PM
GT Member

I cured the issue with sound insulation installed under the console. I removed the console first and added the insulation beneath the carpet and under the dash.I did the complete tranny tunnel,top and sides. Dramatic change no more heat and noise as well.
Old 6/26/07, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've never seen a manual trans car that doesn't put out some heat (and noise) from the shifter area. There is nothing but a thin vinyl boot to separate the interior from the tranmission. My Mustang GT is an automatic (no heat noticeable) but my Miata boot gets warm.

BTW "It's a Ford" isn't an excuse either way (don't blame Ford if it's normal, don't give Ford a "pass" if it IS a problem.)
Old 6/26/07, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We took a drive on Sunday into a State Park. Drove 130 miles, in 100 degree + temps, mostly in 3rd and 4th thru the twisties. Since reading this thread I have checked my console and shifter and have not noticed any hot spots or excessive heat, even at the high outside temps, on Sunday.
Old 6/27/07, 09:27 PM
Banned

I notice heat when stuck in stop and go traffic, but crusing at 120km/h the heat is greatly reduced.