Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Engine revving out of gear??

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/07, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine revving out of gear??

Hey guys, I've got a new issue with my '06 manual GT:

For about a month now, I have been experiencing an issue in which the engine revs several times on its own when I take the car out of gear as I come to a stop.
It also does this sometimes in reverse (while depressing the clutch).

Has anyone experienced this?

BTW, the car has about 48K miles on in.
Yeah yeah, crazy mileage, I know, but I got the car in October '05 and I drive roughly 70 miles a day.
Old 11/27/07, 01:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How high does it rev up? First thing that comes to mind is the Throttle Body may be dirty. Try removing the air intake, then clean upthe throttle body butterflies. You can either do this by wiping them clean while manually opening them with it still on the car, or take the TB off. It's a piece of cake to take off and then it is easier to clean everything.
Old 11/27/07, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It spikes to about 1100–1500 RPMs.

But I have a positive update to this issue (hopefully I'm not jinxing anything):

I've been meaning to add some injector cleaner to the fuel tank for some time now to hopefully address the sluggish acceleration and jerky shifting issues I have been experiencing, so this morning, I went to a local gas station that stocks BG44K, and I bought a can of it.
I added that sucker to my tank, and within minutes, most of these issues cleared up.
By the time I got to work, the car was driving as smoothly as the day I drove her off the lot.
Freakin amazing!
This BG44K stuff is serious business!!
Best $22 purchase I've made in a long time!

Anyway, I noticed that the automatic revving issue I started this thread about has also ceased.

I'm crossing my fingers that the car keeps running as smoothly as it does now.

I'll probably start adding BG Supercharge II to my gas on a monthly basis as a sort of preventive measure, too.