Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Engine Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/14, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Overheating

I,ve been having problems with GT 2006 since it was re-tuned by Ford
after replacing the alternator. i'm back on a stock air intake and standard
tune but the engine is not as responsive as before. If I knew a bit more
about this I would say the air/fuel ratio is wrong and there is too much fuel ?

After running the car normally i.e. a little hard I notice the compartment under
the gear stick central console gets quite hot and recently the temp. gauge
started to move a few notches beyond the optimal 12 o'clock position.

My question to experienced owners is this : can the tune cause too much fuel
to enter my engine resulting in unburnt fuel being expelled into the exhaust system resulting in the heat under the central console and the overheating now showing on the temperature gauge ? The obvious solution is to take it into a decent workshop for a tune up. Unfortunately I'm in the middle east and the Ford dealer is so poor it takes up to a week before they even look at your car and another week to get some feedback. I have recently found a dealer for SCT so will be giving them a try but would appreciate any feedback from someone who knows a bit about this before I take it in

Cheers
Old 10/23/14, 05:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have a 2006 Pony V6. The passenger side floor and console area gets quit HOT as well.

Usually if there is more fuel ( running rich ) it will cool the chamber.

Have you plugged in a Computer to look at the live data? Any codes?
Old 10/23/14, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Was it tuned before you took it to the dealership?

Do you have any method of datalogging?

Cheers
-Matt
Old 10/26/14, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have a custom tune for a steeda CAI from Bama/SCT but when my alternator packed in completely and the dealer replaced it they tried to clear the codes and as expected my tuner was automatically locked when I tried to connect it.

The dealer returned the vehicle to stock and it was running rough , backfiring etc and when I questioned them they denied touching the program. However, once I removed the CAI and put back the stock air filter it was running fine. Unbelievably after just 1 day there was oil leaking everywhere so it had to go back for oil pan gasket replacement ? After running the car for a while it started to feel unresponsive so I took it back and the dealer replaced the spark plugs , cleaned the injectors and ajusted the tune which I was never really happy with but as it had taken 2 weeks to sort out I wasn't in the mood to take it back again so I've just been putting up with it until recently when I noticed the sluggish response issue return and a slight over heating on the gauge. It also vibrates a bit on idle since the re-tune like a hod rod cam feel. What I tried over the weekend is removing the battery connections and running 3-4 decel cycles without braking and it is running a lot better.

I have found an SCT dealer in town so I will visit to see if they can unlock the tuner and check my current tune/codes aswell

Cheers

Last edited by zimbo; 10/26/14 at 03:55 AM.