Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dash Rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Here a fits for the shifter boot problem/rattle. Pop off the bezel and oil down the back of the boot with any oil/silicon cleaner/protector. You may have to do it a couple times, but it'll work. The sound is actually the pleather material rubbing against itself... strange, but true

Same fix I used on my '05 mtx. Mine also had a rattle coming from the dash behind the glove box - turned out to be a small metal vertical brace was vibrating like crazy. It connects from the unpainted metal (rollbar like) tube that runs behind/above the glove box to the upper dash areas...the spot weld was loose allowing it to vibrate and rattle. My parking brake handle also rattled - turned out to be the plunger/rod mechanism and after I took apart the handle shroud and inserted foam around the rod - it took care of it.
Old 11/8/06, 06:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
What's that I hear? Now you're actually AGREEING with everything I was trying to say about Ford quality issues, cheap plastic used in the dash, and the link to perception?! And after all those condemnations of my so called "negative Ford-bashing" posts?!

FLIP FLOP, FLIP FLOP

Hey BC...I'll start tallying the number of JAP car owners that give me the thumbs up every time I drive this car. I'll keep a count just for you. BTW, I feel that it is the perception that domestics in general break down way more often than imports that has caused the perception issue, not necessarily interior components etc.

I'm not sure anyone driving an import ever got a thumbs up. I know I haven't given out any, have you?
Old 11/8/06, 07:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My 00 Crown Vic has horrible dash rattling but so does my 81 Ford T-bird, the 89 E-150, and the 03 E-250. There are so many rattles/squeeks/vibrations in the dash in all of our Fords that we've become accustomed to it. It sounds like the dash is about to fall apart when going over rail road tracks or typical Michigan roads.
Old 11/8/06, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Little details like this is what causes import owners to have bad perceptions on Fords. As nice a job as they did on this car, why couldn't they go an extra 10" and put that dash together so it doesn't rattle?
and after 3 years of production they still have not fixed the dash rattle. I'll bet the 08 will have the same problem
Old 11/8/06, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
and after 3 years of production they still have not fixed the dash rattle. I'll bet the 08 will have the same problem
That's the kicker right there. They seem incredibly slow to respond to common defects. Of course, I still love my car, but it's dissappointing to hear that they still haven't resolved such a simple yet annoying problem.
Old 11/8/06, 12:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Felt costs them $0.0000000000001 per strip. Ford decontented the $0.94 (retail) drain plugs from the torque converters on the 4R70W starting in 2002 just to save money. I doubt they'll ever take the time to fix all of the small problems that the Europeans laugh about when testing American cars.
Old 11/8/06, 05:21 PM
Closet American

Hey BC...I'll start tallying the number of JAP car owners that give me the thumbs up every time I drive this car. I'll keep a count just for you. BTW, I feel that it is the perception that domestics in general break down way more often than imports that has caused the perception issue, not necessarily interior components etc.

I'm not sure anyone driving an import ever got a thumbs up. I know I haven't given out any, have you?

Old 11/8/06, 05:38 PM
GT Member

I had the rattle on the passenger side, but it seemed to be coming from the vent. I had the dealer fix it when the car went in to have the gas tank and shaker 500 replaced. Oh, and I forgot, the dealer also fixed the annoyhing clutch pedal squeak that was driving me crazy. Mine is an early build '05, so one would expect these kind of minor glitches, but it's dissapointing to read that Ford still hasn't fixed some of these minor problems on the subsequent model years.
Old 11/8/06, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby

You're one funny *uckin guy.
Old 11/8/06, 08:00 PM
Closet American

You're one funny *uckin guy.
I know.

Old 11/8/06, 08:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustangpharm
Hey everyone, this has been something annoying that I have noticed with my new 07 GT Mustang.

Have any new mustang owners noticed a rattling in their dash board on the passengers side? It comes and goes and then goes away when I push down on the front of the dash board. Cany anyone tell me how to fix this???

Thank You!
Mike, I've had vibration noise coming from the passenger side in my 05 GT. The dealerships have been unable to fix it. They just don't care. Hopefully, yours can be fixed.
Old 11/9/06, 08:19 AM
FR500 Member

i have some weird vibrating coming from the passenger side also....my dash rattles in the cold weather
Old 11/9/06, 11:12 AM
GT Member

I had a terrible rattle on the passenger side...took it in and they installed some padding and glue to the A pillar and it has stopped now. Hope it last.
Old 11/9/06, 02:32 PM
GT Member

Exclamation

Tell me what you all think of this... For the IUP passenger air-bag doors that squeak, I read somewhere the mentioning of spraying a little W-40 into the cracks.

I would feel strange spraying W-40 on my dash, but if it is the only solution to the air-bag door squeak and it doesn't make a mess - I will do it!

What do you think?
Old 11/9/06, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by thecarguy
Tell me what you all think of this... For the IUP passenger air-bag doors that squeak, I read somewhere the mentioning of spraying a little W-40 into the cracks.

I would feel strange spraying W-40 on my dash, but if it is the only solution to the air-bag door squeak and it doesn't make a mess - I will do it!

What do you think?
It works for Acura NSX owners:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm
(scroll down or search for "Dash Noise" on the page in the link above)
Finally, I decided since the noise was due to ever-so-slight movement and the friction between the dash and defroster panel, a lubricant that could spread itself was needed. I took a can of WD 40 and bent the red applicator tube around to apply it at the joint of these two pieces -- sort of pointing back from the base of the windshield. I shot a very small amount of the WD 40 along this entire joint. Instantly, the dash was silent. Now, I can bang and push anywhere I want and the dash doesn't make a peep.
I am a happy camper. Now my NSX sounds like the solid, quality piece it is. The idea of spraying even a small amount of a lubricant into my dash was something I didn't want to consider. However, it turned out to be the best solution -- quick, easy, and with outstanding results.
Old 11/9/06, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
It works for Acura NSX owners:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm
(scroll down or search for "Dash Noise" on the page in the link above)
Fantastic! That's all the reassurance I need.
Old 11/9/06, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just got my car back. I had a rattle from the dash and the resolution was installing 2 new A-Pilars. I also had a rattle coming from the drivers side door and they traced it back to the mirror. The dealer replaced the mirror under warranty as well. I am pretty happy with my dealer right now.
Old 11/9/06, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by thecarguy

What do you think?
I think no on the WD-40
Old 11/9/06, 06:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I think no on the WD-40
Care to expand on that opinion?