Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dash Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/05, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had many moreon my 05.. and i only have one on my 06 comming from the passanger side air vent area it think....
Old 12/30/05, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

Maverstang found the fix:
"I think I've finally tracked down the dash rattle problem and have the definitive solution.

The source of the rattle is where the dash top panel meets a sheet metal support pad far forward at the windshield base located at the extreme end of the dash on both sides.

Like many of the other symptoms noted in these posts, my rattles seemed to occur when going over bumps, rough surfaces or under certain engine vibration conditions. It gets worse in colder weather because the plastic shrinks and the gap opens up slightly.

What made this hard to track down was the propensity of the rattle to "echo" or travel down the hard plastic dash top. I had difficulty telling if it came from the dash top, the A pillars or under the dash. It seemed to come from everywhere at one time or another.

However, 2 weeks after implementing the fix all the previous rattles have gone. It's the first time in 6 months I've had a rattle-free car!

Here is the fix:

- Remove the A pillar moulding (as described in other posts)
- Look forward through the exposed gap to where the dash top panel meets the windshield (a flashligh may help). You should see a bump on the plastic dash that sits on a metal pad. That is the source of the rattle.
- If you tap the dash panel or lift it up and down you can clearly see how the rattle is created
- Place a small piece of foam with adhesive (like a piece of weatherstripping) on the metal pad. It's hard to get in there, I used a long thin screwdriver with the adhesive backed foam on the end. I lifted the dash top slightly, placed the foam on the pad and pushed down on the dash to grab it, then pulled out the screwdriver.
- Confirm the contact point is damped by tapping the dash top
- Replace the A piller
- Repeat the fix for the other A piller. Watch out for the wiring harness getting in the way on the passenger side.

Some cars may have other problems like improperly installed A pillar mouldings or loose vent bezels, as noted by some posters. However this problem appears to be generic and should solve a huge number of rattle problems".
Old 12/31/05, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

I have the rattle as well: it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side dash and is worse when the temperature is colder. I have found the source! It is not coming from the dash although it sounds like it from where you are sitting in the driver's seat. The rattle is actually coming from the plasic liner on the door jam on the passanger side. This plastic lip is a loose, snap-fit piece that can move, rub (and rattle), where the dash assembly fits underneath it--if the tolerances are just right which they seem to be after some use and a little cool weather. I can actually see the signs of wear where mine has been rubbing. You can confirm this by putting some gentle pressure on the passenger-side front dash panel, back towards the engine and to the right, the next time it rattles on you--it should quiet down a bit. I plan to put a piece of felt or something in between the joint myself, but have just been too lazy to do so.
Old 1/2/06, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C'ant find the instructions on how to remove the A Pillar molding.

Anyone know where it is and can post it here ?
Old 1/2/06, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Try this;

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/us...281/apillar.pdf

and a useful link for some Service Manual Documents;

http://www.badmustangsclub.com/forum...read.php?t=546
Old 1/3/06, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...&hl=dash+rattle

You will find that most of the issues with it can be fixed here, though not all have been fixed yet. It's not a huge issue you really don't hear it much when the weather warms up and by then someone will have probably fixed the issue. As it was said earlier driving time is wasting!
Old 1/29/06, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

So i finnally got my Mustang, and guess what, it rattles! Knew i should have went with the ranger... In any case, i'm getting a passenger side dash rattle, and some type of rattle from the top of my instrument cluster. Should i take this to the service department and have them tear it apart, i work at the ford dealer, and i know everythings under warranty, but has everyone had good luck with taking their's in and having the tech's fix the rattles without causing any extra rattles?
Old 1/29/06, 04:08 PM
GT Member

For a while I could not get the passenger side rattle to quit until I reached up to my visor to grab a CD and it stopped. The CD holder was the rattle culprit. It was right over my head the whole time but I swear it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. No more rattling since I secured CD holder better.
Old 2/1/06, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had a slight rattle/squeak in the dash. It literally started yesterday and I had it in the shop TODAY.

It took them all of 2 hours including rotating the tires. Done. Fixed...nothing to complain about.
Old 2/2/06, 08:08 AM

I've had the infamous dash rattles in my '05 ever since it turned about 2,000 miles. Tried stuffing foam pads under and around the dash; no help. Made an appointment with my dealer last week to have it checked out; when I took it in and explained the problem to the service writer he just looked at me and said "I've never heard of a new Mustang having a rattle in it." I said you have now; what do you intend to do to fix it? After shuffling his feet for a few seconds, he offered to let one of his techs drive it for a few miles to see if they could "replicate" the rattle. I said no thanks and left. Saw Maverstang's write-up last night on the A-pillar remove and fix mod; tried that and found the rattle on both sides of the dash! Stuffed some double-sided foam tape in there until I couldn't force the dash to make that noise again. Haven't driven it much since then, but so far so good! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

This car is screwed together very well; I can only assume, however, that final testing of the pre-production models occurred in warm Michigan weather or surely some Ford person would have found and fixed these very annoying rattles. It would be too easy a fix while the car's coming down the line.
Old 2/2/06, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildstang @ December 29, 2005, 10:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mine rattles (vibrates) when I put the hammer down and I'm approaching the next shift point. Sounds like a bunch of pennies in an ashtray that I don't have. Not sure if it's psychological or not, but I think I can feel it in the shift **** as well.
[/b][/quote]

Mine has the same rattle. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Starting happening with about 5000 miles on the car. It seems to be worse in cold weather, and goes away when the car is fully warmed up inside. It drives me nuts. But I don't feel any vibration in the dash or from the shift **** that I can tell. It's just an annoying noise, and it only happens on full throttle or near full throttle. It does not rattle when I go over bumps.
Old 2/2/06, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

My tach is starting to make some kind of noise like the little gears need to be lubed, whats next !!
Old 2/3/06, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

There are other posts concerning the tach noise if you do a search.
Old 2/8/06, 09:08 AM

wait are you guys talking about the rattling when traction control is engaged? that rattling is awesome! it never bothered me. The only other "rattling" I heard was in the car when going about 70 MPH down a certain freeway, and that didn't really bother me. What bothered me was the ticking and the clunking and all that shaker 500 nonsense! Never had a problem with fillups but I replaced the tank anyway!
Old 2/9/06, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lodom @ February 3, 2006, 10:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There are other posts concerning the tach noise if you do a search.
[/b][/quote]

yes, there are posts about tach noise, but when I searched, I didn't find that any of them suggested a solution. Or even confirmed that there is a tach noise. There may be noise coming from the tach, but I didn't read in any of the posts that someone confirmed it.

If someone replaces the tach, or the cable going to it, or tightens something up in the tach assembly or connections, and the noise goes away, then I'll believe that tach noise is a problem...
Old 2/9/06, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I looked and could not find any info on the noise. The noise is coming from the tach, when i turn the car off, you can hear it wind down for a few seconds, like a watch ticking.
Old 2/15/06, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I found out what the passenger side noise is on my car. If its rattling when i'm driving i can open the glove box and it stops. So i found out that the glove box striker/latch on the top of the box is what is rattling. With the glovebox open you can reach underneath the dash and pull slightly on the striker, which creates the sound i hear when going over a bump.

I took off the striker and pulled on the underside of the dash. There is a piece of metal on top of the underside of the plastic part of the dash, put a strip of padding inbetween the plastic and the metal and the noise stopped, couple of weeks later it came back. Going to go under there and try to stuff some more padding inbetween there to see what happens.
Old 2/15/06, 07:33 PM

Sounds like the same fix Maverstang did, but you accessed the problem from the glovebox and not from the removal of the A pillar trim.
I hope my newly arrived 06 does not have this rattle when I pick it up tomorrow night
Old 2/16/06, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Was driving home today.. and now i have drivers side dash rattle! Its not fair! *cries*
Old 2/16/06, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Seems that my driver's side dash has a rattle, but only when it's cold. Lucky for me it's rarely cold here! Afraid to have it looked at for fear of MORE rattles later(never the same kind of thing).

Quick Reply: Dash Rattle?