Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Coolant leak short circuit vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/20, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak short circuit vehicle

Hey guys this may be a little long, but my car had a random coolant leak while I was driving in traffic a couple weeks back, I checked all the hoses and underneath the intake manifold and couldn’t spot the leak, I noticed the coolant looked as if it spilled from the radiator cap so I installed a new cap and as well as a new thermostat since I didn’t know when the last owner replaced it. I monitored the coolant temps with my RevX tuner and it was staying within 192-202 range but some nights it’ll drop and stay at 162 or it’ll go up to 230, normally I’ll turn the car off wait a while and it’ll go back to operational temps.(Also I did pressure test the system with water, letting the system pressurize and I still didn’t find any leaks)

Several days ago I was at a car meet and was practicing some donuts away from people by myself and I got another coolant leak, I was able to get home by mixing water in the system enough for it not to damage my engine. I left the car for a day in my driveway when I came out to mess with it I figured since there still wasn’t any leaks in the hoses I can just add coolant and make sure there’s no air in the system. I turned my car on and upon initial startup there seemed as if there was a delay, it caught my interest but I didn’t think of it as being a problem so I moved my car to where I can drain the fluid and add the new coolant, drained the fluid added the coolant and went to go start the car, this time the car didn’t start, it gave me clicking sounds as if the battery was dead but I put a new battery in about 4 months ago, I noticed when I tried rolling my windows up after seeing this my windows would go up slow and my dash lights would dim when I’m pressing the button, in my mind I know my car is losing power, I came to the conclusion there wasn’t much to do since it was night time so I came back to it in the morning. in the morning I tried turning the key in my car and literally not one light has come on, no dash lights or anything, the night before my car and got 3 new codes p0110, p0108 and p0100, that next morning when I scanned my car all the electricity died and I can’t even charged my phone nor connect my tuner because it goes on a black screen upon startup. When I bought the car the previous owner was in a front end fender bender but they fixed it back up before I bought it, the ECU wires that are right next to the reservoir where the spill occurs is right next to each other and it is exposed, exposed as in there’s no covering, the insulation is on the wires.

I contacted the dealer and told the guy I bought the car from what happen on Facebook messenger and he left me on read so I’m resorting to the car community for help, If anyone has any ideal how I can get my car to work please help me out since this is my daily.

sincerely a fellow mustang owner
Old 9/20/20, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
If you don't have the diagnostic tools or desire or time or what have you to find a short, drain or leak, then your best course of action is to take it to a mechanic and pay the man to save time, effort, yanked out hair, and frustration. Electrical gremlins are no fun. That'd be my advice right here. Take it and get a loaner/rent a car. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the best course of action, because what you describe is a fair mess of things. I'm not saying you can't do it, but if you've not already found the coolant leak, and you're not sounding like you want to play electrician, well... sometimes it's best to get it done rather than figure it out.

Whether the coolant is causing the shorting or not, well... maybe. Could be just coincidental. I'd lean towards that, but if the coolant was spraying on a harness and the harness was compromised... in a previous accident... well... yeah, that's a possibility. I'd have to see it myself to be sure.

Not sure that helps, but I hope it does. Welcome to the forums, and good luck!