Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 Mustang Leaking Coolant

Old 2/25/16, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 Mustang Leaking Coolant

My car is very obviously leaking coolant.

Clues:
- Missing coolant out of the reservoir after refilling to cold fill line.
-Coolant puddle in my drive way after the car has been sitting for a bit.
-Coolant splashes on the bottom of the plastic tray you remove when changing the oil filter.

I was finally able to drop my car of at a local dealer i have had luck with in the past. This time however has been a challenge. From the moment I walked in the door, it became very apparent that the person i had talked to to drop my car off, was having a really bad day. (Its was only 8 am.. smh) A few hours later i get a call saying my cap was loose on the coolant reservoir and there was nothing wrong with my coolant system. Hmmm interesting seeing how i was the one that loosened it and told them it was loosened to help prevent pressure from building up in the system so it wouldn't leak while i was driving it. Ive never gotten this much run around. My car is right under 60000 and i feel they are trying to make sure my car is out of warranty before fixing the actual problem. At this point i dont know what to do beside fixing the problem myself which is unacceptable because my car is till under the factory power train coverage. If its not anything that's covered under the power train warranty i have no problem with paying, i just want my car fixed. I bought this car brand new, only 5 miles on it. My very first brand new car. Im starting to feel i made a veryyy big mistake.

Any suggestions?
Old 2/25/16, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Request that they pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks. The engine does not even need to be turned on. They screw a fitting on the reservoir. Pump up the correct pressure and look for fluid leaks. Simple as that.
Old 2/25/16, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Request that they pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks. The engine does not even need to be turned on. They screw a fitting on the reservoir. Pump up the correct pressure and look for fluid leaks. Simple as that.
One would think its that simple. Unfortunately they stated they did indeed pressure test my system (for 10 mins) and they determined there wasn't any leak. My driveway and 2nd bottle of coolant beg to differ.
Old 2/25/16, 01:54 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
V6? I've read, some dealers cover the cost and some don't.
Old 2/25/16, 02:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure about the later S197s, but the '05-'09 suffered from expansion cap failure. It might be worth buying new one (ensure you get one with the correct pressure rating).

Good luck
Old 2/25/16, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by David Young
V6? I've read, some dealers cover the cost and some don't.
yes its a V6. wah wah wah... i do enjoy it although.
Old 2/25/16, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Not sure about the later S197s, but the '05-'09 suffered from expansion cap failure. It might be worth buying new one (ensure you get one with the correct pressure rating).

Good luck

will keep that in mind. Thanks
Old 2/25/16, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by xxb7ackx
yes its a V6. wah wah wah... i do enjoy it although.
Mine is a V6 too. A lot of V6's water pumps have gone bad. Mine is still good on my 2011 but i only have 24,500 miles . Here is a Thread i started on what 'might' be why our water pumps aren't lasting very well. https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ads-up-537306/
Old 2/25/16, 04:34 PM

I just had to have my water pump replaced at 38k miles. I noticed it start leaking and my temp gauge started to spike. 2014 v6. I took it in to the dealership and they covered it under powertrain no problem. Don't give up. There another Ford Dealership by you that you could take it to?
Old 2/26/16, 06:54 AM

Mine is a V6 too. A lot of V6's water pumps have gone bad. Mine is still good on my 2011 but i only have 24,500 miles . Here is a Thread i started on what 'might' be why our water pumps aren't lasting very well. https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ads-up-537306/

I had figured this is what was going on but.... the dealer just called me a few minutes ago and said that my car held pressure and there is no leak again. 125$ down the drain. This will be the last ford i will ever buy. **** shame because i love my car.
Old 2/26/16, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Agraulis
I just had to have my water pump replaced at 38k miles. I noticed it start leaking and my temp gauge started to spike. 2014 v6. I took it in to the dealership and they covered it under powertrain no problem. Don't give up. There another Ford Dealership by you that you could take it to?
there is others around my area, but i cant afford to pay 125 dollars every time until i find the right one. ill end up fixing it my self i guess.
Old 2/27/16, 11:00 PM

So... Picked up yesterday. Brought the car home and it sat til today, My wife drove about 20 miles round trip and when she got back home... take a wild guess. Yes its leaking coolant again. The second video you can see it alot better. Had to take the cover off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E3_-BjWhbbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B21nff4-SWg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 2/28/16, 02:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
PM Deysha with you Name, email address, phone number where you can be reached, what the problem is, Vin, and the dealers name and phone number and address. She is a Ford Customer service person that will help you out.
Deysha https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ervice-111098/
Old 2/28/16, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
PM Deysha with you Name, email address, phone number where you can be reached, what the problem is, Vin, and the dealers name and phone number and address. She is a Ford Customer service person that will help you out.
Deysha https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ervice-111098/
definitely will do. Thanks!
Old 2/29/16, 12:01 PM

Well just got back from the dealership. The had to shuttle me back to work. SMH. well the service manager brought the tech out and he said "yep that's the water pump" I can see it from here. SMFH. Good thing i have my herbs to keep me calm. She swore up and down they tested and tried everything to get it to leak. I just got tired of hearing it honestly.

Well at least they gonna fix it now. Now i gotta get my $125 back.
Old 2/29/16, 12:31 PM

Happy they are taking care of you. Your dealer seems confused.
Old 2/29/16, 02:51 PM

Happy they are taking care of you. Your dealer seems confused.
Thats putting it lightly. lol Well they just cant seam to get right. They were supposed to call me over an hour and a half ago to let me know if my car would be ready today. Well im still sitting at work with no ride home waiting. I called a few minutes ago and left a message. Of course the service manager is nowhere to be found. The one who took my number "personally" to make sure I was in the loop. Its a shame. Cant get good service anywhere these days.
Old 9/29/16, 03:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I could have told you this was the water pump from jump street. The water pump on the 3.7 is a common failure. Ford even has a TSB regarding coolant pump leaks. They were just trying to get you to drive it past 60K so they could charge you to have it fixed. If they couldn't tell it was the water pump then that is either the worlds most incompetent repair shop or as I said they just wanted to get you past 60K so they could put the screws to you. Typical dealership. Frankly I'm surprised your water pump lasted that long. Typically they blow somewhere between 35 and 50K. Mine blew at 42. My advice to xxb7 is get rid of the car and never buy a Ford product again. It's what I did.

I gave them two chances. 2012 Focus and 2014 Mustang. Both were crap cars. I won't be back and I have no problem encouraging others not to waste their money on this substandard junk.

Last edited by 3point7; 9/29/16 at 03:29 AM.
Old 9/29/16, 05:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
I could have told you this was the water pump from jump street. The water pump on the 3.7 is a common failure. Ford even has a TSB regarding coolant pump leaks. They were just trying to get you to drive it past 60K so they could charge you to have it fixed. If they couldn't tell it was the water pump then that is either the worlds most incompetent repair shop or as I said they just wanted to get you past 60K so they could put the screws to you. Typical dealership. Frankly I'm surprised your water pump lasted that long. Typically they blow somewhere between 35 and 50K. Mine blew at 42. My advice to xxb7 is get rid of the car and never buy a Ford product again. It's what I did.

I gave them two chances. 2012 Focus and 2014 Mustang. Both were crap cars. I won't be back and I have no problem encouraging others not to waste their money on this substandard junk.
My fiancee and I rented a 2015 or 2016 Focus earlier this year for a trip from NH to North Carolina and back.
That car was an extremely disappointing piece of crap.
Yes, the transmission still sucks, but there were all kinds of ergonomic issues inside, and hard materials to lean against causing pain in elbows/knees.
My 2010 Focus was a much better car than the current Fukus.

So what I'm trying to say is for you to completely ignore and forget your first-year-of-production 2012 Focus, a model-year that the Focus had many issues in, mostly transmission-related, but also oil leaks that would shoot high-pressure oil straight up from the top of the engine.
The 2012 Focus is so bad, Ford should buy them back and crush them and just erase the memory of that year's production.

The 2014 Mustang, I don't have anything to say about it ... you got a "bad one".
My '13 GT, as hard as I've been on it, now over 4 years old and with almost 39k miles on it, has had ONE problem, and it was probably something I caused due to my "driving style".
It had a leaking left rear axle seal.
And it was a cheap enough repair that I had a buddy replace it at his shop.
If it happens again, I'll take care of it myself, now knowing what needs to be done.
Old 10/10/16, 01:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
My fiancee and I rented a 2015 or 2016 Focus earlier this year for a trip from NH to North Carolina and back.
That car was an extremely disappointing piece of crap.
Yes, the transmission still sucks, but there were all kinds of ergonomic issues inside, and hard materials to lean against causing pain in elbows/knees.
My 2010 Focus was a much better car than the current Fukus.

So what I'm trying to say is for you to completely ignore and forget your first-year-of-production 2012 Focus, a model-year that the Focus had many issues in, mostly transmission-related, but also oil leaks that would shoot high-pressure oil straight up from the top of the engine.
The 2012 Focus is so bad, Ford should buy them back and crush them and just erase the memory of that year's production.

The 2014 Mustang, I don't have anything to say about it ... you got a "bad one".
My '13 GT, as hard as I've been on it, now over 4 years old and with almost 39k miles on it, has had ONE problem, and it was probably something I caused due to my "driving style".
It had a leaking left rear axle seal.
And it was a cheap enough repair that I had a buddy replace it at his shop.
If it happens again, I'll take care of it myself, now knowing what needs to be done.
I don't know about axle seals but I do know that pinion seals are a common item to fail on the 8.8 axle. Mine failed at 32K. I had to argue with the dealership about whether or not it was a warranty claim. They refused to give me a rental / loaner until a mechanic verified that it was in fact a warranty claim. The kicker is that the mechanic doesn't verify its a warranty claim until after the repair is made. If the customer doesn't go back to the dealership and make an issue out of getting reimbursed for the rental car they will just forget to mention it. Really not going to miss either the car or the dealership. Both sucked and yes the Focus is still a giant POS. That was a car that could have been a serious contender against the Corolla and in typical Ford fashion they cut corners to the point that it just ended being a total disaster. I knew it was bad when my father road with me in the Focus one day so I could show him how bad the issues were with the vibrations and the rattling on this brand new car. This is a man that keeps cars for 10 to 12 years on average. After a ten minute ride all he had to say was "i would keep this piece of s**t." That's when you know it sucks. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang Leaking Coolant