Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Convertible Issues and No Help from Ford

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/08, 09:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible Issues and No Help from Ford

The seams in my convertible top started splitting along the leading edge of the top, so in November I went in to have it replaced at Olathe Ford in Olathe, KS. When I picked it up, the new top was in place, but it really didn't fit well. It didn't seal against the front weather strip, and it was very, very hard to get latched down. Neither were problems with the original top. I mentioned my concerns and was told that it needed time to stretch.

Fast forward to this week, four months later. The top still has the same problems, and I noticed that there was a lot more wind noise at the top of the driver's window. I took it back in, and I was told there was nothing they could do. It was adjusted as well as it could be adjusted. I then called Ford Customer Service. After talking to the rep for about 20 minutes, I was put on hold. Apparently, he called Olathe Ford. When he returned, he informed me that they concurred with Olathe Ford that the top was installed within specs, and therefore they had done their job.

Now, I don't care about Ford specs. What I do care about is that they actually try to get it to fit correctly. Unfortunately, Olathe Ford was apparently just too lazy to try, and Ford didn't care. I have to admit that, while I love my car, this has convinced me that I will never purchase another Ford product. I expect dealerships to be useless, but I would have expected some help from Ford. What is the purpose of having a customer service line if they are going to simply side with dealership? In the end, there are very few V8 performance cars on the market for me to buy, and I am unfortunately stuck with a Mustang, Camaro or Vette. I fear GM would not be any better. I've never owned a foreign car, and I am a big "Buy American" guy, but is it any wonder why the American car companies keep losing money. It is really a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by KansasCityTim; 4/2/08 at 09:08 PM.
Old 4/2/08, 10:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an issue with my vert top being hard to get down when I first got it, after a few ups and downs in the heat of summer it streched out and works fine now...things are still a bit cool, see if the summer will fit things in a bit better. If not try taking it to another dealer with your complaints.