Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clunking in the front end of my 06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/13 | 08:29 AM

Clunking in the front end of my 06 Mustang GT

Hey guys, noobie on the forums here but not as a Stang owner. Have owned an 86 Cobra GT, an 86 Capri GS, an 03 V6 and now have a 2006 GT.

Started to hear this clunking noise coming out of the right front side of the car while going over bumps. I jacked up the car, moved the wheel side to side and up and down, no play. I took the wheel off, had a look around. The bushings all look fine, nothing seems loose. There is no oil leaking from the strut and the spring looks good too.

The car has 60,000 kms on it and outside of briefly last winter, has never been winter driven.

I opened up the hood and tried to replicate going over bumps by rocking the car. I started on the side with the issue. I got it to clunk just once when I started rocking it. I went to the other side and same thing. It clunked once when I started rocking it and then stopped. Back to the right side and same thing. Basically it would just clunk once every time I switched sides. It's a fairly loud sound when I'm driving and happens even when I go over smaller bumps.

I am thinking it's the upper strut mount. What do you guys think? Could it be an engine mount? I'm not super mechanically inclined. Any thoughts would be great.
Old 10/17/13 | 07:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

check your sway bar end links. Also it could be your upper strut mount they are sub par IMO.
Old 10/17/13 | 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking upper strut mount first maybe something with your shocks or ball joints. You say it makes the sound on both sides now??
Old 10/17/13 | 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 05GTJOSH
I'm thinking upper strut mount first maybe something with your shocks or ball joints. You say it makes the sound on both sides now??
No, sorry, I don't think I did a good job of explaining. It's only on the right passenger side. However, when I push down on the car to get it rocking, it will only clunk once. Then when I go to the other side of the car and rock it, it clunks once again, but still on the right passenger side. I can go from side to side, rocking it and it will only clunk one time till I switch sides again. I thought that might reveal a clue as to what it is.

All signs have been pointing to the upper strut mount on the right side but that last test I just described makes me wonder a bit.
Old 10/17/13 | 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fandango
No, sorry, I don't think I did a good job of explaining. It's only on the right passenger side. However, when I push down on the car to get it rocking, it will only clunk once. Then when I go to the other side of the car and rock it, it clunks once again, but still on the right passenger side. I can go from side to side, rocking it and it will only clunk one time till I switch sides again. I thought that might reveal a clue as to what it is. All signs have been pointing to the upper strut mount on the right side but that last test I just described makes me wonder a bit.
I think you are on the right track. If take off your wheel and jack it up a little so you can see in it. See if anything is broken/worn at all.