Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Center console hot and high oil pressure

Old 3/3/12, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Center console hot and high oil pressure

After driving for about 45 minutes today I felt that my center console was really hot. The shifter and sides of the console were getting warmer the longer I drove. I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge was pegged high. I couldn't find any other problem, the temp gauge read normal and it seemed to be running well.

Any ideas?
Old 3/3/12, 04:12 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan1112
After driving for about 45 minutes today I felt that my center console was really hot. The shifter and sides of the console were getting warmer the longer I drove. I also noticed that the oil pressure gauge was pegged high. I couldn't find any other problem, the temp gauge read normal and it seemed to be running well.

Any ideas?
The center console in the 1st gen S197's does get hot. Mine hets very hot in the summer in traffic. As for the oil pressure idk, mine is usually on the high side of normal. At about 3/4.
Old 3/3/12, 04:32 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Itlf its pegged high and you drive it that way you will likely be needing a new engine. You need to find out if the gauge and the sensor are good.
Old 3/3/12, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

well, it has be pretty worried. I had heard of the consoles getting hot before but it had never gotten this hot, at least I never noticed it. It was really warm in orlando today, 85 degrees and I did a bunch of stop and go driving. I just started the car after letting it cool down and let it idle for a minute and the presure was at about 7/8 the way to pegged. I don't know if it would get higher after driving it.

What is a good way to check if it's the gauge or not. I just moved to FL from OH and I don't know any good shops. I just know that if I take it to the dealer they will charge me a ton just to tell me its one of my mods.
Old 3/3/12, 05:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

also, when I turn the key without starting the engine the gauge floats around center until I start the engine at which point it almost pegs.
Old 3/3/12, 08:15 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Sounds like a sensor or cluster issue that gauge should be at 0 until you start the car.

The hot console sound just like my car. In warn temps with stop and go driving it gets warm on the sides where the carpet is. If I'm moving its not bad and cools down.

Last edited by 07S197; 3/3/12 at 08:16 PM.