Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

At the car wash!

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/07, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the car wash!

So, has anybody had this happen when taking their car through a car wash? I know they say they aren't responsible for things like this, but man am I ****ed!
Attached Thumbnails At the car wash!-p2110146.jpg   At the car wash!-p2110148.jpg  
Old 2/14/07, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Awww man, that's a downer!
Those look like stock stripes, yes?
Perhaps, just perhaps, they (the stripe installer post-factory) failed in some way to do a proper prep/clean job??

I assume it was a touchless wash without the wheel cleaner option?
I know wheel cleaners, even in some touchless, wip out the burly brushes and whack that area of the car pretty hard...
Old 2/14/07, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not to sound like a smart a$$, but that is why i have not been to a car wash in over 20 years. Hand wash all the way.
Old 2/14/07, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FRITZ
Not to sound like a smart a$$, but that is why i have not been to a car wash in over 20 years. Hand wash all the way.
True, true.

For myself, I don't have a good winter-weather wash method, so I've been going to a touchless place here once a week. I skip their wax and also no wheel cleaner package, and absolutely no 17-year-olds with brushes at the startup!
Old 2/14/07, 11:04 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That defiately would make me mad. But, on the brightside, I think the cars look better without the stripe.
Old 2/14/07, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Car washes are usually "not responsible" for owner added mods, but many times will man up for OEM parts like spoilers.

I'd complain to the owner/manager of that car wash and see what they will do for you.
Old 2/14/07, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

I think that it was a sign to take them off, I personally like the look better without them.
Old 2/14/07, 11:46 AM
Bullitt Member

man that sucks.... at least you can put a new stripe on... my husband was doing me a "favor" and took my car through the car wash... yeah he ended up scraping both rims on the right side of the car all the way down the metal guides......i never let him touch my car anymore- he used to take my cars to the drive up ones with the brushes- but after about the 134,000 time i b***ched him out- he quit going- but NOOWWWW he just screws up my rims at the touchless washes..... pshhh dang husbands
Old 2/14/07, 03:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That SUCKS!!! I agree, avoid car washes at all cost.
Old 2/14/07, 05:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happened to mine as well, at a self-wash booth... But since I bought mine as a pre-owned and never liked the stripes from the beginning, I just let it dry in the sun and then peeled them off completely...
Old 2/14/07, 07:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so was this from a touchless car wash?
Old 2/14/07, 07:54 PM
Cobra R Member

What's a car wash???? Honestly, the reason I don't go to car washes is because it's not worth the money to me, and I'd rather do it myself so that if I mess it up, I have no one to blame but myself. The places near me do a great job for a cheap price (like $10 for a wash and dry, plus another few bucks to do the interior), but I'd still rather do it myself

Nothing is more satisfying to me than washing my car in 38 degree weather in the winter. I use the money saved to buy cold medicine
Old 2/14/07, 09:21 PM
V6 Member

No, it wasn't a "touchless" car wash. Ironically, it was my wife's brand new Mustang, and she was using the free car wash certificates that were given to her by the dealer! While it's easy to say not to take it through the car wash, here in the northeast, when they dump thousands of tons of salt on the roads and the temperatures are below freezing, at some point, you have to take the car to a car wash.
Old 2/14/07, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TRMach1
No, it wasn't a "touchless" car wash. Ironically, it was my wife's brand new Mustang, and she was using the free car wash certificates that were given to her by the dealer! While it's easy to say not to take it through the car wash, here in the northeast, when they dump thousands of tons of salt on the roads and the temperatures are below freezing, at some point, you have to take the car to a car wash.

I definitely understand that. You do NOT want to keep salt on the car, because it will just eat away at everything.

But, if that's the case, go to a coin-feeder car wash. Just make sure the bristles are clean and clear of "debris"

I sometimes have to deal with salt too, if there is a possibility of snow/ice. But, in our area, we don't have constant winter weather, so after the snow storm passes, it is clear enough to wash the car. And yes, all my neighbors look at me like I'm on something. But that road grime needs to come off ASAP before it causes damage.
Old 2/15/07, 12:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TRMach1
By the Dealer Theres a window I'd be going there after you get a responce from the car wash people now if the dealer gave you the wash they must have thought it ok to go ahead & all , as a result because they gave you the free wash ticket looky what occured. I'd use that on them ? sorry to see that it happened.
Old 2/15/07, 08:33 AM
Bullitt Member

What makes you think the car wash is not responsible for damage to a brand new and completely oem car? If the car wash owner thinks the striping (OEM Ford) is defective in some way, have him take it up with the dealer. There is no way they can shrug off responsibility for this. Would you feel the same way if the paint came off?

In your instance, I would also speak with the dealer, likely they can cover it under Ford warranty if they want on a brand new car.

For what its worth, I take my GT500 through the MisterCarWash here in Houston at least once a week. My 98 went through for 8 years without damage. They did damage some trim on an F-350 of mine some years back but were very good about dealing with it and gave me months of free washes to boot.

Calmly speak to both the car wash and dealership, I bet this gets worked out in your favor.
Old 2/15/07, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
If those stripes are factory, I would say the carwash is responsible! Talk to the manager ASAP. I would also look closely for any scratches on the paint. Something must have rubbed off the stripes and maybe your paint has scratches on it also. Look close. It's a brand new car that did not have any damage before you got it washed so it should not have any damage after they washed it. Its if they don't take responsibility. Good luck getting your stang back to new.
Old 2/15/07, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Speaking of carwashes, I was born in NY state and when I lived there as a teenager, I used to take my first car to the "do it yourself" carwash in the winter to get the salt and dirt off. I loved my first car. This was in 1967 - 1970, and my first car was a 1960 Chevy Impala convertible. It was white with the powder blue houndstooth interior and looked like new. So I used to take it to the do it yourself carwash all winter to keep it clean. At the time these carwashes used to cost 25 cents! But here is the funny part. One time I remember it was so cold out, that the water from the rinse wand froze on the car before I had a chance to wipe it off so I had a sheet of ice on my car. I guess that shows true love for your car. Anyway, I hope that carwash does the right thing and takes responsibility for the damage they caused to your car.
Old 2/15/07, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, whatever ends up happening, even if you squeeze free washes from this place after getting it fixed by them or the dealer, use up the freebies on another car and find yourself a touchless car wash, if you must. I too cannot convince myself to get out in the 8-degree weather around here and wash the car by hand in the driveway. Find a touchless wash!
Good luck,
Old 2/18/07, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Me Too

Originally Posted by mikes rx
What's a car wash???? Honestly, the reason I don't go to car washes is because it's not worth the money to me, and I'd rather do it myself so that if I mess it up, I have no one to blame but myself. The places near me do a great job for a cheap price (like $10 for a wash and dry, plus another few bucks to do the interior), but I'd still rather do it myself

Nothing is more satisfying to me than washing my car in 38 degree weather in the winter. I use the money saved to buy cold medicine
I am a nut like that to...in Michigan though, we've had like sub 20 degree weather for like 6 weeks...i do have one car wash that i drive 20 miles for that i trust, although now that my vehicle is lowered i cannot take the occassional scrape off the assembly line, if anyone knows of a good indoor self wash in the metro detroit area, please let me know!

Quick Reply: At the car wash!