Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/10, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Squeal

I've got this weird problem. I noticed it mostly when I drive in the rain - I would hear a high pitched squeal when I apply brakes that lasts for several seconds then goes away. I thought maybe it had to do with water on the rotors. But last week I took the Mustang on its first long road trip and it made the same noise when applying brakes from higher speeds. It does not make the noise all the way till it comes to a stop and there is no pedal pulsation or grinding. Pad thickness was inspected a few months ago (5k miles ago) and not low. But now that I am back home, driving around town slower, I do not hear it. I'm going to feel like a fool taking to to the shop with a complaint they can't re-create. I also don't want to be sold a brake job if it doesn't need it. The car has now 29k miles. Has anyone else had this? Is it a sign of worn pads? It seems to be coming from the rear but I could be wrong. I drove on the highway locally for about 7 miles and it didn't happen. I wonder if maybe it was because they were hot during the road trip driving 500mi/day? But then that wouldn't explain the same noise in the rain prior to this trip.
Old 2/2/10, 04:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go out and do a 8-10 40mph-to-5mph "stops" to re-bed the pads and rotors. Let the car sit for 30 mins w/ the parking brake OFF while the brake system cools.

Then drive the car again and see if you still have the issue.

Improper bedding is one of the chief causes of brake system noise, assuming your pads and rotors truly are fine.
Old 2/10/10, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nah, I still hear it. Took it into the Ford shop and they did a visual on all the brake parts and told me I have good pad life left and the only thing they could possibly do for the noise is replace the pads but some people have heard that noise with new pads so they don't recommend it. He told me he doesn't think its wise to spend the money replacing the pads and cutting the rotors when there is no pedal pulsation or brake wear noise. I dunno - sounds logical but then it seems odd that my car has to make this noise when others don't.