Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/08, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake noise

Alright, finally I need to ask about my brakes on my '08 Bullitt because something does not seem right. When I brake I hear a scraping noise from the front (not squeaking), relatively loud. It's especially noticable when I'm going slow, like pulling out of a parking space, (possibly because the car is not drowning it out). It is not any worse when the car is cold or better after the brakes are hot. I can't think of any other way to describe it but scraping, except to say it makes me think I want to oil something to stop the friction. I have not had this sound with my other mustangs (05 & 06) although I know the brake pads are different on the Bullitt.

So do I take it in (dread it) or not?
Old 2/23/08, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why not jack it up, take the front wheels off, and give it a close inspection (with good lighting)? You could rotate the spindles by hand, and have some one apply slight pressure to the brakes from inside, and se if something that shouldn't be is touching. Check the surface of the rotors to see if they're getting gauged somewhere (both surfaces). By turning the "wheels" out, you should be able to se the inside surface well also.
More than likely it is the more aggressive pad you're hearing, but who knows?
Let us know what you find. If you find nothing, I would suggest you call the service manager at your stealership, and ask him if he's had any other Bullits with the same or similar issues. It's a good idea to make friends with him anyway.
Old 2/23/08, 07:33 PM
Cobra Member

Take it in. That is what you have the warranty for.
Old 2/28/08, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Alright, finally I need to ask about my brakes on my '08 Bullitt because something does not seem right. When I brake I hear a scraping noise from the front (not squeaking), relatively loud. It's especially noticable when I'm going slow, like pulling out of a parking space, (possibly because the car is not drowning it out). It is not any worse when the car is cold or better after the brakes are hot. I can't think of any other way to describe it but scraping, except to say it makes me think I want to oil something to stop the friction. I have not had this sound with my other mustangs (05 & 06) although I know the brake pads are different on the Bullitt.

Does it do it all the time? Some noise is normal when the car has been sitting especially overnight. Here in FL humidity plays a factor as a bit of corrosion build up on the surface, but it goes away after using the breaks.
Old 2/28/08, 12:03 PM
Cobra Member

Maybe they changed the metallic composition of the pads used on the bullits. That could cause a more pronounced "scraping" noise at the slow speeds you describe. Do the rotors look worse for wear?
Old 2/28/08, 12:41 PM

Dude, I have the same scraping noise in my '08 GT (not bullitt). I took it into the dealer three times about it and they couldn't fix it. The third time, they lubricated something and it went away for a week.

It's intermittent, but when I can hear it, it makes my car sound like a cheap POS. I usually hear it going 20-30mph, or after shifting weight around (accellerating/decelerating/cornering). And sometimes I don't hear it.

Let me know if you find a solution..
Old 6/24/08, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I have an 05 GT, that just developed the same problem. Sometimes, when I brake, I will hear a scraping noise. It does it at slow speeds and at random times. My car is about to be three years old, but it never had this problem before. This issue just started about a week ago and I am already out of the warranty period, so did anyone find the cause of this problem? or something that could remedy it?
Old 6/24/08, 11:50 AM

Mine '08 GT has the same issue. Only with mine it seems to be coming from the driver side rear.
Old 6/30/08, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You could try burnishing the pads in if you've got little mileage on them. The pads may not be seasoned yet. Take it out on the highway, do aggressive brake applications, about 70%, from say 60 mph down to 30 mph repeatedly. Usually only takes around 6-8 applies. I do them with windows down till I can just start to smell the hot pads. Never stop or hot pad material may transfer to the rotors and cause rotor run-out problems. Keep driving at highway speeds, go for a cruise for awhile, to let the pads cool down then you can brake normally again. If you do it during cooler weather the pads will cool sooner. Try your brakes the next day, see if it worked.
Old 7/2/08, 10:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda

I heard the noise when the brakes were not yet a few times. I chalk it up to the pad compound. I could not hear it after things were warmed up. Of course, that could be from my diminished hearing capability.

How hard do you use the brakes?
Old 7/6/08, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I heard the noise when the brakes were not yet a few times. I chalk it up to the pad compound. I could not hear it after things were warmed up. Of course, that could be from my diminished hearing capability.

How hard do you use the brakes?
well hey there tony!! I'm finally making it back over here to tms....

I don't use the brakes hard at all, and if memory serves I only had one time I had to slam them on really hard. It was much worse in the winter, I don't hear it as much now so I just kind of forgot aboout it. I'm glad you heard it too though (proving I am not crazy haha), and I'll take your word for it about the pad compound.

Regarding the diminished hearing..um, I can help you ya know...

Old 7/6/08, 10:12 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
I don't know if this may help or not, but when I first purchased my 05 GT. My front brake pads would always squeal, whenever I applied pressure to the brake pedal.

I later discovered there was a TSB concerning the front pad linings being defective. So I took my car back to the dealership, and showed them the TSB. In which they replaced the front brake pads with the revised pad linings under warranty, no questions asked.

Needless to say, I haven't experienced any brake pad squeal since

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/6/08 at 10:16 PM.
Old 7/9/08, 06:55 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Disregard my previous post, as the TSB was referring to 2005 Mustangs built before 3/8/2005 !