Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

brake light issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/11, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake light issue?

hi guys i am having an issue with my 2006 gt. its the first real issue i have had with the car, ok well the problem is that i have it parked everything off and two of the six brake lights stay on! its the two above the reverse lights. does anyone know what it can be? it has been raining alot here today and i went out to do some things and when i came back that happened. i have a manua 5 speed.
Old 10/8/11, 01:25 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you the original owner? Are the taillights and the wiring 100% stock? (Stock = No sequentials, all 6 lights shine for taillights, but only the outboard 4 light up for turn signals.)
Old 10/8/11, 01:32 PM

i am not the original owner but i got it from a ford dealership with 47k miles about 1 year ago, everything from the tail lights is stock.
Old 10/8/11, 02:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Well, typically those issues are ground issues, or possibly since you mentioned the rain a Smart Junction Box issue? Feel the carpet around your passenger side footwell under the dash and make sure it's completely dry. If it isn't, the the SJB is likely your problem from what I understand. If it's dry, pull the bulbs and determine if it's the brake light filament or the tail light filament that's illuminated when it shouldn't be. I'd also check all of the wiring and connections for your taillights behind your trunk carpeting and make sure everything's completely dry. Unplug the harnesses and make sure the plugs are all completely dry and there's no corrosion anywhere. That's where I'd start. Electrical Gremlins can be a real PITA.
Old 10/8/11, 02:35 PM

thanks ill start with the passenger side footwell, thanks
Old 10/11/11, 10:36 AM
TMS Legacy Member

Similar problem here with my 07GT, replaced the brake switch under the dash and it appears to have solved the problem.
Old 10/11/11, 01:09 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006 mustang gt
hi guys i am having an issue with my 2006 gt. two of the six brake lights stay on! its the two above the reverse lights.
i am not the original owner but i got it from a ford dealership with 47k miles about 1 year ago, everything from the tail lights is stock.
Hi 2006 mustang gt,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you contact your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Your Service Manager can also check any warranty that might be left on your vehicle at this time. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

Deysha
Old 10/11/11, 05:13 PM

Well I removed both brake bulbs out and let it sit over night since it was raining hard all day and I thought maybe something got wet, next morning I went back and put them on and it was ok they weren't on when the car was off, so I tried and turn on the car on and the battery was dead, I jumped it and everything was fine but after an hour or so of the car being off I had to jump it again and came to a conclusion that I need a new battery since the sticker on the battery says oct07!. Is the dead battery what caused my problem or do you think the rain did? I believe and hoping it's the dead battery.
Old 10/11/11, 05:46 PM
I lust for a M24

I've seen electronics do lots of weird things. Put the new battery in and hope for the best!
Old 10/11/11, 06:20 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
did you feel for wet carpet on the passenger footwell like John mentioned?

I'd also bet thats it.

if its damp, pop the plastic panel off let it dry out...the cause is usually the drains under the cabin air filter- leaves and stuff clog the drains, then one hard rain it will back up and leak into the car- almost every time ive read abut it, one of the brakelights or turnsignals quits or wont shut off was the symptom that eventually was found to be caused by a leak... I havent read of any permanent damage from the 'Smart Junction Box' getting wet, but it sure cant be good for it...wont cost you anything to pop the cabin filter and look way down under for debris in the drain- theres 2 drains, one on either side of the tranny tunnel, I couldnt see the drivers side at all but felt back under it seemed fine- but the passenger side of mine was nearly solid, filter was nasty- some black mold(!) definitely should be changed/drains cleaned more often than every 4 years

Last edited by ford4v429; 10/11/11 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10/22/11, 06:14 PM

Well new update I double checked the passenger side and the carpet was damp all the way back to the back seat where the feet go which was even more wet! I had to open up the carpet by slicing open a part to remove the water from under the carpet, funny thing is I checked the cabin air filter and it was dry no mold or anything. I wonder if I went through a deep puddle and the water came in through the passenger side. well I cleaned it up and hopefully it won't happen again.
Old 10/22/11, 06:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Well new update I double checked the passenger side and the carpet was damp all the way back to the back seat where the feet go which was even more wet! I had to open up the carpet by slicing open a part to remove the water from under the carpet, funny thing is I checked the cabin air filter and it was dry no mold or anything. I wonder if I went through a deep puddle and the water came in through the passenger side. well I cleaned it up and hopefully it won't happen again.
the drains for the cowl are like 4~5" below the cabin filter, kinda on top of the transmission - really hard to see down in there...still betting theres a blocked drain there. lemme see if I can find the pics of mine(you could see easier as the hood was removed) that show the drains...
Old 10/22/11, 06:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

found pics. theres supposedly a similar drain on the other side of the tunnel, but if there is it would need cleaned from underneath.
Attached Thumbnails brake light issue?-cabin1.jpg   brake light issue?-cabin2.jpg  
Old 10/25/11, 03:11 PM

Oh ****! I got to double check that now, thanks for the pics man.
Old 10/29/11, 11:06 AM

well i unclogged both drains 1 on each side, it was a fairly simple job my cabin filter was fine now hopefully this doesn't happen again, now i have to deal with the humid smell and drying it out. thanks for all the help fellas