Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Bent Valve at 12,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/06, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent Valve at 12,000 miles

Let me start by saying that since I bought my GT back in
January of 2005 the enging has had a small tick when the car is idling. I would only hear it occasionally and has gotten louder over time. So I figured that I would take it in to have it checked it out. I was kind of worried about the warranty issue with the few mods that I have made. The service manager is a friend of mine and the tech that worked on it is the guy who does my mods on the side. Anyway they found that there was a TSB on the valve lifters and replaced it under warranty. I noticed a day or two after I got it back that the car was not geting it in 1st - 3rd like it had been. I then noticed that the car was idling strangely and was almost cutting off. When I called the my friend Friday he said bring it in Monday. Monday morning the car started making a horrible noise and would hardly move. Note that I did not drive it all weekend and did not run it any harder when I got it back the first time than I had run it in the past. On Monday they diagnosed it as a broken valve spring and now its a valve spring and a bent valve. They are also telling me that its nothing that they could have done when they changed the valve lifters. Also they said that it would be covered under warranty if they did not find anything "strange". Should I be worried about the warranty issue and if I get shafted should I press the fact that this did not happen until the lifters were "replaced"?
Old 7/25/06, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hauss1
if I get shafted should I press the fact that this did not happen until the lifters were "replaced"?
i would.............good luck...hope you get it fixed under warranty.......
Old 7/25/06, 09:02 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I be worried about the warranty issue and if I get shafted should I press the fact that this did not happen until the lifters were "replaced"?
'No'...and 'yes'.
Old 7/25/06, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

On Monday they diagnosed it as a broken valve spring and now its a valve spring and a bent valve. They are also telling me that its nothing that they could have done when they changed the valve lifters.
Of course they did it.
Old 7/26/06, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

over torqued rocker arm if you ask me. thanks to the wonderful service department using the "I think its tight enough" method of torque setting.
Old 7/26/06, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

You've probably got a big cut in the top of one of your pistons now from where the valve hit.
Old 7/26/06, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me start by saying that since I bought my GT back in
January of 2005 the enging has had a small tick when the car is idling. I would only hear it occasionally and has gotten louder over time. So I figured that I would take it in to have it checked it out. I was kind of worried about the warranty issue with the few mods that I have made. The service manager is a friend of mine and the tech that worked on it is the guy who does my mods on the side. Anyway they found that there was a TSB on the valve lifters and replaced it under warranty. I noticed a day or two after I got it back that the car was not geting it in 1st - 3rd like it had been. I then noticed that the car was idling strangely and was almost cutting off. When I called the my friend Friday he said bring it in Monday. Monday morning the car started making a horrible noise and would hardly move. Note that I did not drive it all weekend and did not run it any harder when I got it back the first time than I had run it in the past. On Monday they diagnosed it as a broken valve spring and now its a valve spring and a bent valve. They are also telling me that its nothing that they could have done when they changed the valve lifters. Also they said that it would be covered under warranty if they did not find anything "strange". Should I be worried about the warranty issue and if I get shafted should I press the fact that this did not happen until the lifters were "replaced"?
Great this is what i have to look forward too... I have a 2007 and it ticks at idle. If there was a TSB out for it in 2005, then it's abviously something else, since it should have been corrected in later models.

Now im curious...Anyone else hear a slight ticking noise when idling?
Old 7/26/06, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not yet, but I usually have the AC on high, since it's so hot here. Oh, and I've only got 250 miles or so on the car so far.
Old 7/26/06, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CannonBaller
Great this is what i have to look forward too... I have a 2007 and it ticks at idle. If there was a TSB out for it in 2005, then it's abviously something else, since it should have been corrected in later models.

With the 2005 I have (and everyone else had this problem, too), the A/C ticks a lot of the time when it is on, and it may be what you're hearing. I would hope they would have done something about this (like a quieter A/C clutch) by 2007, but I don't know. So... turn off your A/C and see if it goes away
Old 7/26/06, 06:05 PM
V6 Member

Ticking is a hard thing to describe since a tick can mean so many things. Yes it is normal to hear a slight ticking noise from the fuel injectors. You could try to isolate where the ticking is coming from so you know for sure what type of tick you have. If you isolate it to your fuel injectors you have nothing to worry about…
Old 7/26/06, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom NH
Ticking is a hard thing to describe since a tick can mean so many things. Yes it is normal to hear a slight ticking noise from the fuel injectors. You could try to isolate where the ticking is coming from so you know for sure what type of tick you have. If you isolate it to your fuel injectors you have nothing to worry about…
The "tick" that I heard was light at first, and then sounded like a playing card in a bicycle tire. And as an update, they are repairing it under warranty. They are cutting the valve out tomorrow. My buddy working on the car said that he would personally do and extensive check on the engine.I also asked him if she would limp or be back to normal after the repair. He said that would have no problems. We'll see. I'll update on Friday when I get it back
Old 7/26/06, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

He said that would have no problems. We'll see. I'll update on Friday when I get it back
Hauss1, please keep us informed. I am keeping a close eye on this thread and any updates would be greatly appreciated.

If you able to do this, could you get some detailed info on what exactly the dealership repaired, how long they had the car, perhaps some listed costs? I know you mentioned it would be covered but if avail please pass along?
Old 7/27/06, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by schmads
With the 2005 I have (and everyone else had this problem, too), the A/C ticks a lot of the time when it is on, and it may be what you're hearing. I would hope they would have done something about this (like a quieter A/C clutch) by 2007, but I don't know. So... turn off your A/C and see if it goes away
No AC at the time...
Sounds like it's coming only from one side of the engine though. Right in the middle of the driver's side valve cover.

Only have about 500 miles on it so far...We'll see how it goes..
Old 7/27/06, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom NH
yea...i know what you mean.
Listening closely there are faint tickign sounds from all over the engine. But there is a slightly louder one coming form somewhere. The last 2 days, i have not heard it being as load as before. I will have to take the car for a long drive again and see if it comes back.

I just don't want to be messing wit hthe motor already. Maybe its just a metal filing in one of the lifters.
Old 7/28/06, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Just an update. The valve was cut out and the head had to be sent to a machine shop to my understanding. Oh yeah, b/c of this it will now be Monday. I will be sure to get the full story on everything once I pick her up.
Old 7/28/06, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

No AC at the time...
Sounds like it's coming only from one side of the engine though. Right in the middle of the driver's side valve cover.

Only have about 500 miles on it so far...We'll see how it goes..
Not to worry you but that's where I heard the ticking when I accelerated after my lifters were "replaced". I think that my case is very rare. But you'll know it was a valve if you start to go and the engine sounds like a chainsaw.
Old 7/28/06, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I remember 5 or 6 years ago Ford would just replace the motor for these kind of problems, i guess those days are over.
Old 7/28/06, 12:38 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed,

I'm also surprised they just didn't replace the whole cyinder head either

I know of at least one other '05 owner who had a broken valvespring
Old 7/28/06, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FRITZ
I remember 5 or 6 years ago Ford would just replace the motor for these kind of problems, i guess those days are over.
They do, but only if the problem is factory related.

The cause of this problem was clearly the dealers, and i'm sure they did not want to take it up with Ford. Since Ford would tell them to eat it anyway.
Old 8/1/06, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Quick check in. The car will be ready tomorrow, Wednesday. Sorry to keep everybody in the dark. I am getting a full documentation on the work that was done.

Quick Reply: Bent Valve at 12,000 miles