Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Battery drain when parked problem

Old 3/18/11, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike05gt
Ford issued a TSB for this problem for the 05-06.

Basically they said if you leave the car parked for a few weeks at a time, you will need to keep a battery tender on it.
I am aware of this TSB. Thought it was strange how after 3 years of the same treatment it does it now.

I have a Battery Tender Jr in my future.

Last edited by Silverback; 3/18/11 at 05:40 AM.
Old 3/18/11, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by karman
When was the last time you gave it a charge?
I have found over the past 20+ years of storing cars that after the winter (even if I started and ran the cars several times), I would sometimes need to charge the battery at the beginning of the season. Then I was fine for the rest of the year.
Also...
I still don't understand why people are so eager to spend the extra money on Optimas.
Except for off-road and extreme racing involving banked curves, I don't see any advantage over regular top quality batteries.
The long Michigan winter killed it even with starting & running it. Last time it did start was a little labored as it turned over.

I have put Optimas in all my vehicles once the stock battery fails. I have had great luck.
Old 3/18/11, 09:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverback
The long Michigan winter killed it even with starting & running it. Last time it did start was a little labored as it turned over.

I have put Optimas in all my vehicles once the stock battery fails. I have had great luck.
So you didn't charge it?
So how do you know it is bad?
Optimas work fine, just not better than a good quality battery.
Personally, I can't see spending the extra money.
The last Interstate battery I had in my Olds was still good after 10+ years.
The Olds was designed with a tiny constant drain for the clock's electric motor and I might have to give it a charge at the end of the winter.
Old 3/18/11, 04:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
I still don't understand why people are so eager to spend the extra money on Optimas.
Except for off-road and extreme racing involving banked curves, I don't see any advantage over regular top quality batteries.

I agree - what a waste of coin. I've used the private label batteries from a NW chain - that are made by Interstate - since early 80's. Only one has completely failed before 84 mos, one developed a weak cell at about 60 mos - both were covered by prorated warranty. The weak cell would still work as long as I started it every few weeks. And that's in my F150 that sits outside in the winter deep freeze up here. Just replaced one in it for $56 bucks for 84 mos.
Old 3/19/11, 06:09 AM
Bullitt Member

karman & cdynaco

Battery was tested and is bad.

The difference in price between a Optima & other batteries does not matter to me.

The Mustang is a toy and toys get the royal treatment.

New Optima goes in today!
Old 4/11/11, 06:46 PM

I had a .30 parasitic drain and decided to replace the Shaker500 with a JVC KD R810 not only because the Shaker was a POS but because, many like you and others stated it was the problem causing parasitic drain. So it gave me an excuse to get rid of it and the wife bought off on the idea. So, Radio was not the issue BUT when I pulled fuse# 66 the load dropped to .11 amps. The best part is that the owners manual says it is not used. The only aftermarket item is the JVC radio and all the current diagnoses was performed before and after the radio swap. I even went to the dealer and they said fuse 66 was not used.
Old 5/31/11, 09:32 PM

I let my 08 CS sit for a month after I got shoulder surgery (arm was in a sling and couldn't be moved to shift gears) and it was dead. I tried to jump it off my friend's Explorer to no avail. I had to get one of those power starters to jump it. I drove it for about 40 minutes to charge the battery up. I shut it down and tried to restart and the electrical system just went nuts. Every light came on in the dash. The dash lights flicked and dimmed. And then I heard a noise from the back near the trunk even after the key was out like the fuel pump attempting to engage and disengage for a good 2 minutes. I took the battery out to get tested and it tested fine. I didn't trust the Auto Zone tech so I just bought another battery which solved the starting problem. But my electrical system is still messed up and some new comes on every time I start it (i.e. check engine light, tire pressure monitor system fail, etc) but then goes off. My car only has 20,000 miles. Anyone have similar problems like this? I've still got the factory bumper to bumper warranty on it so if it needs to go in I want to do it as soon as possiblem. Suggestions?
Old 5/31/11, 11:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Have you ever washed the engine with a pressure washer.
Old 6/1/11, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Everett
Have you ever washed the engine with a pressure washer.
Never. It's really never even been in a bad rain storm
Old 6/1/11, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
my 2006 does this all the time.
i have also heard that a relay from the fog lights is the problem and if you replace the relay it would help the drain. i also heard that anyone with the shaker 500 system has the battery issues. my mother has a 2005 conv and she lets it sit as long as i do and hers starts right up. i pull a fuse for the radio deck every winter and seems to help. i been trying to verify about the fogs but no one seems to know. i found the fog issue on another forum. anyone else have any other ideas how to fix this?
Old 6/1/11, 04:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 08 has been fine.
I have the Shaker 500 but the cd's are pulled and its turned off. Fan off too. It is in the garage so I don't lock it therefore the alarm isn't on.
I usually start it about every 4-6 weeks in the winter but this winter I went longer. At 90 days it wouldn't start. Trickle charger for 24 hrs and its back to normal.
Some have problems some don't.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/1/11 at 04:59 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 08:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same battery issue from day one. Lived with it for a while until it just became a pain. In short, its been 3+ years since they replaced my battery.

From what I recall based on my post (2008) it was the incorrect battery for the car based on the active alarm s-1000 etc. Long short, pushed until Ford replaced and got the type 40 which replaced the type 96.

https://themustangsource.com/f637/battery-issues-462853/index3/#post5522068