Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Alternator Replacement, Almost Stranded

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/12, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator Replacement, Almost Stranded

well, its time for an alternator. ive been getting code P0340 (camshaft position sensor bank A, i believe) about every 2 weeks, so i read up and found out its most commonly related to the alternator going bad (i have an early build '05 GT). but last night my interior ambient lighting starting acting up, and then on my way home to orange county from san diego it comes on again just as im leaving san diego. i clear it and then once im back in OC it comes back again but this time the battery idiot light (check charging system) came on too. by the time i got home i could hear it whining and my lights were starting to dim. so that pretty much confirmed that it was the alternator and i figured i should replace it now so im not left stranded on the side of the road (luckily that didnt happen on my way home from san diego). ill post up pics and details later today after i complete the replacement
Old 1/24/12, 06:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by redpony05
well, its time for an alternator. ive been getting code P0340 (camshaft position sensor bank A, i believe) about every 2 weeks, so i read up and found out its most commonly related to the alternator going bad (i have an early build '05 GT). but last night my interior ambient lighting starting acting up, and then on my way home to orange county from san diego it comes on again just as im leaving san diego. i clear it and then once im back in OC it comes back again but this time the battery idiot light (check charging system) came on too. by the time i got home i could hear it whining and my lights were starting to dim. so that pretty much confirmed that it was the alternator and i figured i should replace it now so im not left stranded on the side of the road (luckily that didnt happen on my way home from san diego). ill post up pics and details later today after i complete the replacement
ambient lighting on a 05? didnt know they had that then... anyways, I'd be sure to pull the passenger floormat and be sure the carpets dry- a awful lot of folks had cowl leaks that caused the SJB to get wet, most reported lights acting funny as first indication of troubles...dunno if it could cause charging issues, but worth the 2 seconds to feel for telltale wet carpet on the passenger floor just to be sure.
Old 1/27/12, 06:29 PM
V6 Member

i installed the ambient lighting myself haha, just 2 led strips in the front foot wells. but anway ya i checked that and it was dry. the lights are still acting up now so idk whats up with that. the alternator replacement went smoothly though, and no codes or charging issue since. my camera decided to quit working right in the middle of the replacement so no pictures unfortunately
Old 3/30/12, 08:36 PM

I had the cam shaft position sensor code about six months ago. Replaced the alternator with a new one and all was well until tonight when the red battery light came on and the LCD screen read "check charging system"- this came on when idling but goes away during acceleration. I am not happy about the prospect of replacing my alternator twice in a six month span. What gives? This car is a 2006 mustang GT coupe - I had the stereo replaced with an aftermarket double din unit so I know the changer cycling thing can't be the cause. Aside from the stereo and aftermarket dealer installed heated seats, the car is stock. Prior to this pony, I had a 2000 v6 mustang coupe that I neglected the heck out of and it never gave me a peep of trouble for 173,000 miles when the suspension got wrecked by all the Minneapolis street potholes. The 06 GT just recently crowned 60k miles and I baby that thing, I just don't understand why it's got so many more issues than it's cheaper, older version.