Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

50K Service

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/11, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50K Service

I'm loking for some info on 50K service. I have a 2006 GT with SuperShaker, new plugs w/supercharger at 15K. I want to get car ready for season, besides oil change what do you all recommend. ie plugs, fuel filter not sure what else and what brands are best. Looking forward to a warm, dry and sunny spring/summer!
Old 3/3/11, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The usual culprits are a good bet depending on how much cash you want to outlay.
Definitely fuel filter.
Cabin air filter.
Clean the TB.
Clean the air filter.
Flush and change coolant.
Bleed and change brake fluid.
Change rear end oil.
Check tranny fluid.
Check all your suspension parts for cracking bushings, torque spec on bolts.
Clean out the engine bay.
If you're not running a catch can or valve cover breathers, check your plugs. And then install a good catch can or set of breathers.

Not all of these things are needed at 50k, but hey, they don't hurt either. There's probably more you can do to. Your owners manual lists the actual Ford recommended schedule.
Old 3/8/11, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
My dealer has a book they give out with their maintenance schedule. I've never bothered to check it against Fords in the owners manual. But they don't list a 50k service. they have a 51, which is nothing more than an oil change. Their big services prior to 100k are at 30, 60, and 90k. Here is how 60 breaks out (coming up for me in a month or two):

-Oil change
-Replace:
--Air filter
--Cabin air filter
--Fuel filter
-PCV valve (if equipped, which I don't think we are. I think it's built into the valve cover)
-Inspection of belts, lights, wipers, horn, coolant hoses, heat shields, f/r brakes
-Lubricate: Hinges, locks, Hood & trunk latch, chassis
-Check tires
-Supplemental services:
--Induction service (cleaning)
--Differential service (cleaning)
--Power Steering flush
--Brake fluid flush
--Transmission service (fluid change)

Stuff like the oil change, inspection, and lubrication are all part of their standard oil change procedure, so that can be ignored.

So looks pretty similar to James' list up there. I'd say go by his list and you're pretty well covered.

Now as far as those plugs go, I'd flat out replace them now. I'm sure you've heard about the TSB about the plugs seizing in the head and breaking off when you try to remove 'em. Our 06's are included in that lot since the new head/plug design didn't come out till 2008. The plugs are rated for 100k, but if you wait that long i'd almost guarantee it'll be trouble. Get 'em now before they get bad. And use anti-seize (I think the TSB recommended nickel). I got mine at 47k and it wasn't too bad, but they stuck enough to scare me.

Last edited by Cavero; 3/8/11 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spark plug info