Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

30,000 MI maintenance Cost???

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/09, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
30,000 MI maintenance Cost???

I just called the dealer to set up the appointment for my Mustang to have the 30,000 MI maintenance. I was shocked to find that the dealer said the cost would be $450-475!! That seems so outrageous! Or am I wrong?? Please let me know what you all think and if it is too much, where can I go to have it done? Thanks...
Old 12/28/09, 12:04 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Nope, that's about right...we are probably talking about: transmission flush, power steering flush, radiator flush, oil/filter change...right? Add in injector cleaning too...yes, all a bit expensive.
Old 12/28/09, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MadGT
Nope, that's about right...we are probably talking about: transmission flush, power steering flush, radiator flush, oil/filter change...right? Add in injector cleaning too...yes, all a bit expensive.
Dang!!
Old 12/28/09, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight from Ford's website:
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Perform multi-point inspection
  • Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
  • Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
  • Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 quarts of oil. Perform at specified mileage interval or every 6 months, whichever occurs first)
  • Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
  • Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
  • Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
Doesn't seem like it should be that much. Only replacements are oil, fuel filter, cabin air filter which shouldn't be much money.
Old 12/28/09, 12:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
  • Replace fuel filter
  • Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
  • Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
  • Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 quarts of oil. Perform at specified mileage interval or every 6 months, whichever occurs first)
Doesn't seem like it should be that much. Only replacements are oil, fuel filter, cabin air filter which shouldn't be much money.
I just had all this done , I can't find bill right now but was under $200.00 CDN I supplied my own cabin air filter I buy from Ford my price as opposed to what they'd have marked it up for and save like 40-60 bucks !
Old 12/28/09, 12:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jedikd
  • Replace fuel filter
With all the inspections going on in that list, the price could be up there. Don't forget the price of labor is around $100 per hour. I'm sure the dealer is also adding on to that list too.
Old 12/28/09, 12:22 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was done last month for $291. I did supply them with some Redline ATF to go into the tranny (Manual)
Old 12/28/09, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
With all the inspections going on in that list, the price could be up there. Don't forget the price of labor is around $100 per hour. I'm sure the dealer is also adding on to that list too.
my problem there with Labor cost is how long would it take me as oppsed to them jumping from car to car ? but warrenty reasons I let them have it now & zen
Old 12/28/09, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This is becoming depressing...UGH
Old 12/28/09, 12:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Service is where the dealers make their money. It's like buying a printer, we'll give it to you cheap, but we know you need ink to go with it, so we're gonna get our money there instead!
Old 12/28/09, 06:18 PM
GT Member

Guys . . . .. the "inspections" in the guide book should NOT cost hundreds of dollars! YES there are FORD dealers who rip people off . . . . . If you lived in the San Francisco Bay Area I can give you an example of a Ford dealer who tried to charge me $400 for a 30000 mile service . . . . . and another Ford dealer who will give perform ALL the inspections FREE with a $40 oil change/rotation . . . . . . My advise to you is LOOK at your service manual (it appears DENLEM quoted it correctly, but look at the book yourself) . . .. . then call EVERY Ford dealer in your area . . . . . I would like to think there is ONE honest dealer out there. I am like you (when under warranty) I get all my service at Ford dealers (I am an automotive engineer . . . . . anytime there is a warranty/quality dispute the OEM company will always question service performed at non-Ford shops (or self service oil changes, etc) with the intent of NOT paying.
Old 12/28/09, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by lsanch33
Guys . . . .. the "inspections" in the guide book should NOT cost hundreds of dollars! YES there are FORD dealers who rip people off . . . . . If you lived in the San Francisco Bay Area I can give you an example of a Ford dealer who tried to charge me $400 for a 30000 mile service . . . . . and another Ford dealer who will give perform ALL the inspections FREE with a $40 oil change/rotation . . . . . . My advise to you is LOOK at your service manual (it appears DENLEM quoted it correctly, but look at the book yourself) . . .. . then call EVERY Ford dealer in your area . . . . . I would like to think there is ONE honest dealer out there. I am like you (when under warranty) I get all my service at Ford dealers (I am an automotive engineer . . . . . anytime there is a warranty/quality dispute the OEM company will always question service performed at non-Ford shops (or self service oil changes, etc) with the intent of NOT paying.
I am having things done tomorrow not at a dealer but for a much better price. $100. There are several things I don't need done, yet. But I am getting the oil filter, oil changed, fuel filter, and inspections done.
Old 12/28/09, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

My local dealer did a once over on my car at the last oil change, 36K miles. I did my own fuel filter, cabin filter, but let them do the oil change and check the exhaust and such. They looked at my tranny fluid and gave it the thumbs up. I love my local dealer. Mind you, this is a dealer I found after being mad at the dealer that sold me the car. You pay for what you get in general. I trust the guys working on my car and that is priceless.
Old 2/1/10, 10:03 PM
V6 Member

Come on, all this is nonsense. You can get an air filter and cabin filter for around $10 each at Pep Boys and install it yourself for , oh, say nada (nothing). All the inspections you can do yourself on a day that you feel bored with nothing better to do. I wouldn't allow them to rip me off for something I can easily do myself. That is unless you enjoy throwing your money away and having some dirty guy leaving dirt marks on your interior. I only take my cars in for major things that I can't do. All the maintenance stuff is just too easy to do.
Old 2/2/10, 06:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a classic example of Buyer Beware!!! As an ex-tech I can tell you that the list mentioned above is what some dealers use as the 'base' list. My old shop padded that by quite a bit:

Trans service
bearing pack
a/c evac and refill
etc, etc....

As an example (and this goes back to '96) a 30K on an Explorer would cost you about $1200!
Old 2/2/10, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
do the inspections yourself. They probably don't even need to be done at all at the 30k mark. Oil change and filters yes. Alls they do is look, maybe hit the exhaust with their hand to check for rattles.
Old 10/29/13, 12:56 PM

2010 GT: Here it is almost 2014 and nothing has changed. I went to one dealer here in Oklahoma City and was told $235 for tranny fluid flush, $235 for coolant flush, plus an oil change (~$40). Not at all what is on Ford's OEM recommended list. I just called another local dealer and, believe it or not, they told me basically the same list as previously posted from Ford's site. I'll change my own filters and take it to these folks for the rest. It will be interesting, however, to see what they "recommend" after they get it in their shop.