Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005 fuel tank filling problem/overflow tank issue

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/07, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 fuel tank filling problem/overflow tank issue

Hey all, just wanted to fill you in on my journey. I bought my '05 (build date 4/05) mustang gt in July 2007 with only 7,xxx miles on it. On my way home from Montana, I stopped to fill up the tank and strangely the nozzle kept shutting off...25 minutes to put 8 gallons in!!! Well to make a long story short I found this forum and it guided me as to the problem I was facing. First the gas tank was replaced...no dice! So my Ford dealership...Greiner Ford checked it over and decided it must be the filler neck. They ordered it and surprise...I just got home from giving the GT a full tank without a single shutoff until it was full!!!! It took some time but, for those of you who may still be having problems I hope this may give you some ammo to shoot with. I have to hand kudos to Brian Howard and Jim Smith of Greiner Ford in Casper Wyoming for their diligence and expertise!!

Also they replaced my overflow tank and cap... it solved a second issue regarding the overflow tank spewing coolant all over the engine bay.

Now I can enjoy my "new" dream car in it's entirety!!
Old 10/16/07, 05:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad to hear you were/are satisfied with the dealership. always a bonus.
Old 10/16/07, 11:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It still happens to me from time to time, the dealer washed their hands at mine and now they are no longer in business, makes you wonder why?
Old 10/16/07, 11:52 AM

I have had my share of bad/terrible dealership experiences in the past, but this has definately help heal those wounds. As my private mechanic for my other cars told me once...it makes no sense why a dealership won't fight for their costumer especially when the vehicle is under warranty. For the cost of a little time and minimal parts, they now have a satisfied customer that will in all likelyhood return for business even after the warranty has expired! (He used to be a service manager at a Pontiac dealership.)

I hope any of you that are still fighting this problem will be able to get it fixed...I know it is very annoying. Thank goodness mine is just a weekend cruiser and I didn't have to go to the gas station very often!
Old 10/22/07, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by WyoSilver
Hey all, just wanted to fill you in on my journey. I bought my '05 (build date 4/05) mustang gt in July 2007 with only 7,xxx miles on it. On my way home from Montana, I stopped to fill up the tank and strangely the nozzle kept shutting off...25 minutes to put 8 gallons in!!! Well to make a long story short I found this forum and it guided me as to the problem I was facing. First the gas tank was replaced...no dice! So my Ford dealership...Greiner Ford checked it over and decided it must be the filler neck. They ordered it and surprise...I just got home from giving the GT a full tank without a single shutoff until it was full!!!! It took some time but, for those of you who may still be having problems I hope this may give you some ammo to shoot with. I have to hand kudos to Brian Howard and Jim Smith of Greiner Ford in Casper Wyoming for their diligence and expertise!!

Also they replaced my overflow tank and cap... it solved a second issue regarding the overflow tank spewing coolant all over the engine bay.

Now I can enjoy my "new" dream car in it's entirety!!
can you put the used partnumber for the fuel filler neck in this message or send it to me by email. my email is cva@hessing.nl.

kind regards.

Cees Vastenburg
Old 10/22/07, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WyoSilver
...it makes no sense why a dealership won't fight for their costumer especially when the vehicle is under warranty. For the cost of a little time and minimal parts, they now have a satisfied customer that will in all likelyhood return for business even after the warranty has expired!
Having spent my career in customer service type of roles, I am constantly amazed at how few people understand this. And, not to complain, the problem it isn't just in the car business. I had several retail store experiences this past weekend that make me realize how great it is to shop on-line.
Old 10/23/07, 09:24 AM

fuel filler neck

Originally Posted by Cees
can you put the used partnumber for the fuel filler neck in this message or send it to me by email. my email is cva@hessing.nl.

kind regards.

Cees Vastenburg
Cees, I don't have a part number for the filler neck as it was taken care of by the ford dealership. I would assume it was a new part directly from ford.