Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-check charging system

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/08, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005-check charging system

I have a 2005 GT. About 2 months ago my car was crapping out and my check engine light was on. We thought it was a fuel problem but it turned out to be the alternator. It ran great and then 3 days ago my battery light came on and it said "check charging system." When we originally replaced the alternator neither the battery light or the "check charging system" message came on just the check engine light. We changed out the battery and it seemed to work and then yesterday my voltage dropped to nothing and my battery light came on and "check charging system." We replaced the alternator thinking that we got a bad alternator. It worked great and this morning battery light came on and "check charging system". HELP!!!!! What could it be? Please tell me it is probably something minor. Ha Ha. With the way my luck has been going it is probably the brain.
Old 10/20/08, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Use a volt meter to check the voltage with the car running, jump start the car if necessary to get it running. It is possible to get bad parts right out of the box. If so, take the part back and get them to exchange it, that's what the warranty on the new part is for.
Old 10/20/08, 10:19 AM

We are going to check the voltage on the alternator next but I can't imagine that we got a 2nd bad alternator. We just bought a new one a month ago and replaced it, then we bought another one yesterday and replaced it and now it is bad again? we have replaced the battery also. Could something else be effecting the charging system?