Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2007 vs 2008 4.6 3V Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/08, 09:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
So far I haven't seen or heard of any factory replacement plugs that are of the revised 1-piece design. There's no point in changing the plugs if you're going to use the faulty 2-piece setup.
Sure there is. By changing them out, you will have fresh plugs so you won't have carbon buildup. Otherwise, you're just going to build on top of the carbon already there. You can also put some nickel antiseize on them to aid with removal in the future. I don't see any reason NOT to change them. Even if you just pull the stockers out and put some antiseize on them.
Old 2/22/08, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
Sure there is. By changing them out, you will have fresh plugs so you won't have carbon buildup. Otherwise, you're just going to build on top of the carbon already there. You can also put some nickel antiseize on them to aid with removal in the future. I don't see any reason NOT to change them. Even if you just pull the stockers out and put some antiseize on them.
+1 these plugs carbon up quick, especially if your running a custom tune!
Old 2/22/08, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, you guys scared me.

Are there any disadvantages to going to an aftermarket spark plug? And what's the commonly accepted 1-piece replacement?
Old 2/22/08, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Plug

The only 1 piece plug I've seen anything about is Brisk.
Old 2/22/08, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, this included the new plugs (would you believe $152.48?) as well as the labor to get all 6 broken plugs out, including the 5 that the Ford mechanic broke.
Old 2/22/08, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Brisk Plugs

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
I changed my spark plugs with less than 10,000 miles on the car to Brisk 1 piece spark plugs just to avoid the issue down the road of breaking the factory 2-piece spark plug. Cheap insurance.

Gus

So, how do you like the Brisk plugs?
Old 2/22/08, 04:18 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Have you ever pulled a plug that has been in a vehicle for 100k? Well let me tell you what I have many times and they are not a pretty site.
Most have no electrode left and the ground strap is usually worn to nothing as well. And that is on a car that was supposedly running fine. Also I have had on occasions where the plugs simply would not come out do to carbon buildup.

I highly advise against any plug being left in for 100k.

50k Tops in my book.

By the way anyone know if Denso or NGK is making plugs for our cars yet in the Iridiums?
This is from my previous car, 2001 GT with LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Steeda Pullies, CAI, FRPP Throttle Body, FRPP AL. Drive Shaft and Dyno Tuned. 265rwhp, 303rwtq and stock clutch. These were pulled at 100k miles.

(The 07 GT wont be keeping the Ford plugs long, going to change the factory HT0's next month to the one piece)

Old 2/22/08, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Here are the Ford stock plugs from my 07 GT at 300 miles. Then the supercharger was installed and these were replaced with teh Ford HT0's

Old 2/22/08, 04:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by goldenpony
100,000 miles? I just had mine changed at 38,000 miles and 6 of them broke off. I broke 1, the dealer broke 5. I had to pay for all of them. It cost me $611.13. Good luck!
Dont know if this will help but here is the TSB on it. Its not for the Mustang (still looking for a Mustang specific one)

From http://www.mustangforums.com/m_4650801/tm.htm

"TSB 06-15-2 and 06-5-9 cover how to correctly remove the plugs using AeroKrol penetrating spray to avoid separation and how and where to use nickel anti-seize when installing new ones."

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant.../tsb/06152.pdf
Old 2/22/08, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

They charged labor on removing the plugs that the Ford Tech broke off? That is some B.S. if I ever heard it.
Old 2/22/08, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Plugs

Yup! Pretty sweet deal when you can screw something up and then charge the customer to fix it. By the way, I have a brand new set of Autolite HT1 plugs - never touched if anybody needs a set. PM me, very friendly price.
Old 2/23/08, 02:41 AM
Cobra Member

So what is the best plug to go with.
Old 2/23/08, 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I have never lit up the tires on my Stang, nor do I have a CAI or a tune. I run the cheapest grocery store 87 octane in the Stang to reduce carbon buildup.

These spark plugs are not cheap. I would rather not waste my time changing out these pricey plugs that still have the factory design defect. I would like to possibly change plugs at 10k-20k miles with factory-spec replacement plugs that are 1-piece and leave it be.
Old 2/23/08, 06:40 AM

Looks to me a good deal of insurance would be to soak with penetrating oil prior to removal regardless.
Old 2/23/08, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll change my plug at 50k also... I just can't fathom going 100k on the same plugs.. Too unreal performance wise.
Old 2/23/08, 07:22 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,729 Likes on 2,021 Posts
This is some Scary Stuff. I have Seen Lots of the Prior 04 5.4 L Trucks Blow the Sparkplug out of the Head. This was due to Lack of Threads in the Head. My Harley f150 Spit one out at about 16k. A new Head was Installed Under Warranty. As Far as the Broken Plugs on The 3v I have not heard of any in our shop. I would advise that you Replace your Spark Plugs before your Powertrain Warranty Expires so there maybe some Recourse if this Happens on your Car. Of course that means you would Have the Dealer Change Them. Also If this Does Happen and you are Charged for Removing Damaged Plugs I would Save Any paper Work as It Could Turn into a Recall Issue in the Future and you could be Reimbursed. If you are Going to Install yourself Use the Anti Sieze Sparingly as too Much could cause an Issue as well. Another thing to Do is to Ask your Dealer Upfront if They Change your Plugs and Break them off are they going to Step up or are you Liable. I will see if my Service Manager has any input on this Also and Post Later!

KC
Old 2/23/08, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
This is some Scary Stuff. I have Seen Lots of the Prior 04 5.4 L Trucks Blow the Sparkplug out of the Head. This was due to Lack of Threads in the Head. My Harley f150 Spit one out at about 16k. A new Head was Installed Under Warranty. As Far as the Broken Plugs on The 3v I have not heard of any in our shop. I would advise that you Replace your Spark Plugs before your Powertrain Warranty Expires so there maybe some Recourse if this Happens on your Car. Of course that means you would Have the Dealer Change Them. Also If this Does Happen and you are Charged for Removing Damaged Plugs I would Save Any paper Work as It Could Turn into a Recall Issue in the Future and you could be Reimbursed. If you are Going to Install yourself Use the Anti Sieze Sparingly as too Much could cause an Issue as well. Another thing to Do is to Ask your Dealer Upfront if They Change your Plugs and Break them off are they going to Step up or are you Liable. I will see if my Service Manager has any input on this Also and Post Later!

KC
KC, I'm glad to hear you weigh in on this subject !
Old 2/23/08, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Be sure to use nickel anti-seize - Part # XL-2

High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant

Provides high temperature lubrication up to 2552°F (1400°C)
Prevents seizing and galling of metal parts
Guards against rust and corrosion caused by chemicals and weathering
For use when replacing oxygen sensors
Old 2/23/08, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc

KC
Prior to 2004, the F-series 5.4 V8 engines were the 5.4L 2V V8 engines. These have the SAME heads as the 4.6L 2V V8 engines. All 4.6/5.4 2V V8 engines suffer the same problem with not having enough threads in the cylinder head. Sometimes the plugs can eject, taking out a COP coil and maybe even damaging the hood in the process. I haven't taken a look at a 3V head to see how many threads there are, but so far the 2-piece plugs breaking inside the head is the only problem I have heard about (and rather recently as well).
Old 2/24/08, 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

So what do you guys think? Do we get the Brisk plugs and change them every 40,000-50,000 or so, OR get, say the Autolite HT1's and change out more often..OR will the application of the anti-seize compound eliminate the problem???? This has me very concerned also.

Quick Reply: 2005-2007 vs 2008 4.6 3V Spark Plugs?