Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2005-2007 vs 2008 4.6 3V Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/08, 03:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2005-2007 vs 2008 4.6 3V Spark Plugs?

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure that Ford changed the spark plug design for MY 2008. I heard of some issues with the plugs breaking off inside the cylinder heads with the previous plug design.
Old 2/20/08, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure about Ford changing the design ? I've changed the plugs myself twice and had no problems. However the part below the threads does corrode quite a bit and if you followed Fords recommendation and waited 100k , I could see how they might break off ...
Old 2/20/08, 07:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not follow Ford's recommendation? I see no reason in a modern vehicle to have to change plugs before 100,000 miles. I've seen Toyotas, Fords, and Nissans which have gone WAY beyond that on original plugs and they look great. All this talk about breakage is probably the result of someone trying to fix what ain't broke.
Old 2/20/08, 08:29 AM
Service Manager

Received 439 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by MARK
Why not follow Ford's recommendation? I see no reason in a modern vehicle to have to change plugs before 100,000 miles. I've seen Toyotas, Fords, and Nissans which have gone WAY beyond that on original plugs and they look great. All this talk about breakage is probably the result of someone trying to fix what ain't broke.
No it's not and it is fact....you wait until 100K miles and I can promise you that you will have the same problem.....feeling lucky? Try it and find out .

While yes...most cars don't have a problem this IS a problem and it is the shaft on the plugs below the threads that gets a buildup on it. I too have seen MANY cars go that long with no problems but this plug design and this engine DO have this problem...it's a fact and you can even look up the TSB on it if you like.

While it is MORE likely to happen if someone with no experience tries to remove them, it still happens to even the most seasoned Ford technician...go into any dealership in the country and you'll easily find someone to confirm this issue.
Old 2/20/08, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

I changed my spark plugs with less than 10,000 miles on the car to Brisk 1 piece spark plugs just to avoid the issue down the road of breaking the factory 2-piece spark plug. Cheap insurance.

Gus
Old 2/20/08, 09:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Interesting... Does anyone have photos comparing the factory 2-piece design with a 1-piece design? I may be inclined to change the plugs although I have less than 10k miles. It's almost SOP for us to change out the factory plugs early on to prevent any removal issues further down the road.
Old 2/20/08, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

The circled area is the area that can break on the factory 3V plug. The brisk plug in this area is not a separate piece and not prone to the breakage.

Its not a common occurence for the factory plug to break but the factory design does allow for that possibility and if you dont have the special tool required to get the plug out from Ford you're going to be pulling the cylinder heads off to fix it.
Old 2/20/08, 12:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteedaGus

The circled area is the area that can break on the factory 3V plug. The brisk plug in this area is not a separate piece and not prone to the breakage.

Its not a common occurence for the factory plug to break but the factory design does allow for that possibility and if you dont have the special tool required to get the plug out from Ford you're going to be pulling the cylinder heads off to fix it.
This is some good and vital info... This should probable be a sticky.....
Old 2/20/08, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor

I don't know why someone wouldn't want to change plugs every 50K, let alone 100K. Mileage, throttle response, there are plenty of reasons to have fresh plugs. A good amount of my dyno customers change plugs before the dyno just so that they have optimum spark before they come in.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
Old 2/20/08, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I don't know why someone wouldn't want to change plugs every 50K, let alone 100K. Mileage, throttle response, there are plenty of reasons to have fresh plugs. A good amount of my dyno customers change plugs before the dyno just so that they have optimum spark before they come in.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
CR, I agree with you!... What do you recommend for a aftermarket plug?
Old 2/20/08, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor

For an NA car, a good set of Autolite HT1's.

For supercharger, nitrous, turbo... I love the Autolite HT0's.

Even for GT500's, though we use a standard NGK TR55 for our performance packs.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/20/08, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Which of the stock replacement plugs would have the revised 1-piece design?
Old 2/20/08, 02:34 PM
Service Manager

Received 439 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
You need to understand that MANY people believe the claims that plugs are good for 100K miles....Modern plugs CAN last for high miles under NORMAL use.....Your and my dyno customers are not "normal" use and the plugs take much more of a beating as a result. Even though a plug will still "Fire" at 100K miles doesn't mean it is operating at it's best.

I've seen a brand new distributor cap installed right before a 1/4 mile run gain 1/10th....but it's not useless after that....but that first run is it's best.

Ford recommends changing oil at something like 5 or 7K miles now.....That doesn't mean that those of us who are in the know believe it's a good practice...I still choose 3K mile intervals....even on my Powerstroke...sure it's more expensive on a diesel but it's far cheaper than a new injector pump or engine!

Generally your plug change intervals need to coincide with your usage....
Old 2/20/08, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by svopaul
Your and my dyno customers are not "normal" use and the plugs take much more of a beating as a result. Even though a plug will still "Fire" at 100K miles doesn't mean it is operating at it's best.
Exactly. We know there ain't a **** person reading on this board who hasn't fried the tires maybe atleast once since their purchase. If this was a Ford Tempo message board... we'd be talking about who is enjoying their platinum +4 plugs and tornado inlet tube insert.

In this case, we all know that most of us are running at least a CAI and tune. We know that we're running different transfer functions and spark tables than factory. So I would reccommend for anyone on this board to atleast CHECK the plugs at 50K. If you're racing or spraying the car, you know you're going to be checking in more often.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
Old 2/20/08, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, so is Autolite making the revised 1-piece factory replacement plug or are we forced to go aftermarket?

As for engine oil changes, Audi and BMW have been using 10k mile / 1 year oil change intervals in their engines for years. I would change my synthetic oil at 7500 miles max, there's no use risking the engine by stretching it longer especially with a turbo.
Old 2/20/08, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MARK
Have you ever pulled a plug that has been in a vehicle for 100k? Well let me tell you what I have many times and they are not a pretty site.
Most have no electrode left and the ground strap is usually worn to nothing as well. And that is on a car that was supposedly running fine. Also I have had on occasions where the plugs simply would not come out do to carbon buildup.

I highly advise against any plug being left in for 100k.

50k Tops in my book.

By the way anyone know if Denso or NGK is making plugs for our cars yet in the Iridiums?
Old 2/21/08, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Not sure about Ford changing the design ? I've changed the plugs myself twice and had no problems. However the part below the threads does corrode quite a bit and if you followed Fords recommendation and waited 100k , I could see how they might break off ...
100,000 miles? I just had mine changed at 38,000 miles and 6 of them broke off. I broke 1, the dealer broke 5. I had to pay for all of them. It cost me $611.13. Good luck!
Old 2/21/08, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by goldenpony
100,000 miles? I just had mine changed at 38,000 miles and 6 of them broke off. I broke 1, the dealer brok

e 5. I had to pay for all of them. It cost me $611.13. Good luck!
That did it! I've only got 10,000 miles on my 06 but I'm changing them next week !!!!!
Old 2/22/08, 03:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So far I haven't seen or heard of any factory replacement plugs that are of the revised 1-piece design. There's no point in changing the plugs if you're going to use the faulty 2-piece setup.
Old 2/22/08, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are you saying that it costs $611 for a spark plug change?????? You've got to be kidding!
I'm hoping that is including extra labor such as removal of the broken plug pieces, etc. If thats the case I'm gonna have mine changed ASAP also. I have about 4000 miles on my car and I'm not taking any chances either.

Quick Reply: 2005-2007 vs 2008 4.6 3V Spark Plugs?