Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

05 GT not shifting right

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/21, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 05 GT not shifting right

Hello
I have an 05 mustang GT. To preface, I am going to state the recent things I have done to it.
I put in the Autolite HT1 spark plugs, as mine were going out. After doing that, I continued to get a rough idle, so I bought an OBD-II scanner tool. It told me that a couple of ignition coils were not doing great. I decided to just replace them all and bought and installed the MSD ignition 55138 coils. Both of these replacements were completed in about a week, and I didn't drive it during that time. This could be completely unrelated to the issue I'm having now, but it remains that pretty much the same day I finished the ignition coils my car's transmission started going crazy. It shifts very strangely, as seen in this video I recorded:
. I checked the OBD-II and it was giving me PO745. Apparently, this has many possible interpretations. On another note, while it was not doing it in the video, after driving for a little while, the O/D off light on the dash would start blinking. Apparently, this also can have many interpretations. Is there anyone with more experience with car mechanics who could help me out based on the information here and in the video? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 5/2/21, 06:52 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Symptoms of a P0745 include:
  • Check engine light
  • Delayed, harsh or erratic shifts
  • Slipping through the gears
  • Engine stalling
  • Getting ‘stuck’ in a gear
  • Vehicle won’t move when in gear
  • Decreased fuel economy
  • Transmission overheats
  • Limp mode

Causes

• Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid / filter
  • Damaged wiring/connector
  • Faulty pressure control solenoid
  • Faulty transmission pump
  • Internal pressure issue
  • Valve body issue
  • ECU or TCM failure

What Repairs Will Fix P0745?

• Changing the fluid and filter
  • Replace faulty pressure control solenoid
  • Repair or replace a faulty transmission pump
  • Repair or replace defective transmission valve body
  • Transmission flush to clean passages
  • Cleaning corrosion from connectors
  • Repairing or replacing wiring
  • Flashing or replacing PCM

Old 5/3/21, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
sounds like topping off the transmission fluid would be the first thing to try; followed by transmission fluid change/flush

which brings up the age old question: to flush or not to flush?
The following users liked this post:
sosocrates (5/3/21)
Old 5/4/21, 12:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The 5R55S is a sealed unit, lifetime fluid transmission. No dipstick. Unless it's been leaking, there shouldn't be any topping off. And if it was leaking, seems you'd see that happening...

My opinion on the flush or not... Do not flush. Just drop the pan, slowly, and carefully, and spill all the fluid everywhere and get drenched despite your best efforts. Then take off the filter and do the drenching again. That done, Let the fluid drain out forever and a day in a now-too big pan for the remainder fluid, which is everywhere but the pan as mentioned. Or 40 minutes, whichever. Swap out the solenoid pack. You did get a new, updated solenoid pack, right? Right. Filter on. Put pan back on (gasket is reusable, I believe). Find fill plug, remove, fill with the *absolute correct* amount and type of fluid. Bob's your mother's brother's father's daughter's male sibling, done and done, having put the plug back in of course.

Of course, you could have the unfortunate piston/bore problem I understand could be a thing, so you'd need the kit for that and then the rest.

But then, after sayin' all that... I'd be taking the car to a shop that does good work on this transmission. They do have their... quirks. Assuming it's the problem. Because it could be a lot of things as shown by that chart above, and testing is going to be... fun.

Dunno if that's helpful, but hey, good luck, hope you get it figured!

Last edited by houtex; 5/4/21 at 12:32 AM.
Bert (5/4/21)
Old 5/4/21, 01:50 AM

Unhappy

Well, that is incredibly annoying. Would you recommend getting the 'real deal' : https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/...54l/329584_0_0

Or do you think it would be okay to just stick with something cheaper like this:
Amazon Amazon

I probably won't even order until I receive car jack stands so I can look and see if my pan is cracked. But yeah I guess this sucks big time.

I'm really praying it's not the whole transmission that has to be rebuilt or replaced or something, I'm just working a minimum wage job and it will take weeks to save up that much. I'm still in high school
So good luck to me haha

Edit: Found this as well, https://www.ebay.com/itm/37315338433...ke%3AFord#rwid
Might work.

Last edited by sosocrates; 5/4/21 at 01:53 AM.
Old 5/4/21, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I am sorry, sosocrates, I cannot advise on those things. And they may not fix it, again due to another issue in the transmission. You'd be shotgunning a parts cannon at the problem at best. But since the transmission is solenoid driven, and you'd be there, any of these may or may not fix the problem and be ok for the duration of your ownership. Or it may be that the pistons those solenoids drive to engage the gears are jammed/failing, and they're for naught.

I'm going to point you to this video and hope it helps you.

And this one.

Fordtechmakuloco is an invaluable (in my opinion) asset in learning all kinds of things Ford. These two are how I know what's possibly going on with the transmission, but remember... I'm waaay over here, and these are guesses.

I hope you find the answers. And again, good luck. May the Fourth be with you!
sosocrates (5/4/21)
Old 5/6/21, 05:32 PM

Hopefully these don't post super massive.
On another note, did I jack up my car correctly? There seemed to be a lot of differing opinions on the internet but apparently, these are the correct ones? The last picture is of another place a lot of people said that they put it. Is that spot better?
Also is it okay to leave my car like this overnight or do I need to take it down. thank you

Last edited by sosocrates; 5/6/21 at 05:33 PM.
Old 5/7/21, 07:18 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Placing jack stands under the frame rails as you have them are one the safest locations IMHO. They can also be placed under each corner of the cross member as well. The rear axle tubes are also a good location. However, If your still not quite sure? your owners manual will be your best resource. . .
Old 5/9/21, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
I agree with m05fastbackGT, and also you did a lot better than most. I have seen some pretty interesting places where people put their Jack's and stands.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jaryd21:
m05fastbackGT (5/9/21), sosocrates (5/9/21)
Old 5/11/21, 03:05 PM

Ended up taking in, the transmission is going to have to be rebuilt or replaced so fml . She's gonna have to sit for a few months . Anybody know of a good cover to protect from rain etc? Pretty rainy here.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 5/15/21, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
That sucks well I hope it's a quick turnaround for you. A good cover for a area that get a good amount of rain is seal skin covers from what I have read.