Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Shelby Cobra chassis on Pawn Stars last night?

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/09, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby Cobra chassis on Pawn Stars last night?

Anyone else see this crappy show on the Discovery Channel? Dude supposedly brings in an original Cobra to "pawn". Backstory is that he owns a towing company and was called to pick up the car because the owner of the storage unit it was in hadn't paid rent in quite some time. Anyway, the thing is all bare aluminum. No interior, engine, trans, trim or wheels. They call some "expert" who comes and looks at it and finds the CSX number on the front crossmember. Tells them it's worth $60k as it sits and they offer the guy that brought it $30k. They then let the appraiser finish the car at a cost of $80k.

How likely is it that it was actually a real Shelby Cobra? I'd guess the chances are slim. I figured it was a kit that someone stamped the CSX on. I could not tell if there were any numbers after the CSX.
Old 12/1/09, 11:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it, and they had the numbers after CSX blurred out, it was the chassis VIN number. Not saying that it couldn't have been faked, but you can't just make up a VIN and have it be legit. If they checked into the VIN at all they would be able to tell if it actually came from Shelby.
Old 12/1/09, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I saw that. I was thinking it was probably one of the "continuation" cars. A CSX4000 maybe?
Old 12/1/09, 12:19 PM
Cobra Member

Saw it as well. But either way, the guy who towed it from the storage facility had a nice payday
Old 12/1/09, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I saw it, and they had the numbers after CSX blurred out, it was the chassis VIN number. Not saying that it couldn't have been faked, but you can't just make up a VIN and have it be legit. If they checked into the VIN at all they would be able to tell if it actually came from Shelby.
ya, you only see the csx not the number, they weresmart enough to not show that, also i am sure they did more checking, not just what you saw on tv,

still alot of money 110,000 for an original shelby body with alot of aftermarkey parts.

dont the clones go for like 30-50 k that shop did drive train, paint & body work and interior for $80,000 maybe i am just a cheap bastard but that seems steep
Old 12/1/09, 01:45 PM

I saw the show, and below is a list of one that was coming up for sale. now the one he had would not get anywhere near that, but it could easly get $160,000.00 Being a real Shelby.

A rare 1965 Shelby Cobra is expected to fetch between $10 million and $15 million at auction on May 15th, according to organizers. The car will almost certainly surpass the U.S. record of $5.5 million for a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake. There’s also a chance it could set a new world record, if it exceeds the $11 million paid for a 1961 Ferrari California Spyder.

Described as an “American jewel,” the car was the first U.S.-made race car to ever beat Ferrari in world racing championships in Europe. While it is expected to attract interest worldwide, many American car enthusiasts hope it remains on U.S.
Old 12/1/09, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=Gamblerr;5771900]I saw the show, and below is a list of one that was coming up for sale. now the one he had would not get anywhere near that, but it could easly get $160,000.00 Being a real Shelby.quote]

thats where i kind of disagree, it is not a true real shelby cobra, yes the body is, but it is not a 100% original cobra, numbers matching not.

like they say it is only original once.

now if carol shelby's company went and did the rebuild. i bet it would be worth alot more.

yes i do agree it is worth the 160,000 easily, maybe even 250,000 but definatly not the millions others would be worth,

now if it came back that this had some history somewhere that would increase the value.
Old 12/1/09, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gamblerr
I saw the show, and below is a list of one that was coming up for sale. now the one he had would not get anywhere near that, but it could easly get $160,000.00 Being a real Shelby.

A rare 1965 Shelby Cobra is expected to fetch between $10 million and $15 million at auction on May 15th, according to organizers. The car will almost certainly surpass the U.S. record of $5.5 million for a 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake. There’s also a chance it could set a new world record, if it exceeds the $11 million paid for a 1961 Ferrari California Spyder.

Described as an “American jewel,” the car was the first U.S.-made race car to ever beat Ferrari in world racing championships in Europe. While it is expected to attract interest worldwide, many American car enthusiasts hope it remains on U.S.
That was one of the 6 Cobra Daytona Coupes - it wound up selling for $7.5 million.
Old 12/1/09, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawn Ornament
Anyone else see this show on the Discovery Channel? Dude brings in an original Cobra to "pawn". Backstory is that he owns a towing company and was called to pick up the car because the owner of the storage unit it was in hadn't paid rent in quite some time. Anyway, the thing is all bare aluminum. No interior, engine, trans, trim or wheels. They call some "expert" who comes and looks at it and finds the CSX number on the front crossmember. Tells them it's worth $60k as it sits and they offer the guy that brought it $30k. They then let the appraiser finish the car at a cost of $80k.

How likely is it that it was actually a real Shelby Cobra? I'd guess the chances are slim. I figured it was a kit that someone stamped the CSX on. I could not tell if there were any numbers after the CSX.
I like the show Pawn Stars and find it very educational. I like the way they bring in the experts to appraise items and let the current owner hear the details and values of their items. These guys are investing and can't pay retail value if they plan on making any money. Ever pawned or bought anything at a pawn shop? I have. It's the bear and the bull at it's best in some cases. I have walked away with some killer deals as well. The chances of the Cobra being real? Very high, the Pawn Shop and Shelby's headquarters are both in Vegas, lots of big money that's valued differently than ours is being recklessly thrown around, and people lose money all the time on investments. If it's got CSX stamped in the chassis and has documentation connecting it to Shelby and being listed in the registry, then it is as real as it gets. Want a Cobra signed off by Shelby or an Eleanor? kennyg
Old 12/1/09, 09:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kennyg
I like the show Pawn Stars and find it very educational. I like the way they bring in the experts to appraise items and let the current owner hear the details and values of their items. These guys are investing and can't pay retail value if they plan on making any money.
I like the show too. Ready for season 2!
Old 12/2/09, 03:30 PM
GT Member

If you noticed.....

Originally Posted by Lawn Ornament

If you noticed, the guy they took the car to for him to look over was a regional Shelby club registry guru something or another (California - East or something), so he probably knew his stuff.
here was probably more research and footage the ended up on the cutting room floor.

I am like KennyG - this show is on the History Channel, pretty interesting and educational and they have real experts that they bring in to validate/appraise these items
Old 12/2/09, 04:02 PM
GT Member

BTW - it will be back on

BTW - The episode is set to air again on Thursday and Friday evening (maybe 9:00?)
Old 12/8/09, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

I watched hours of Pawn Stars last night, and really liked the show.

The Shelby is undoubtedly a continuation car that was never finished. That chassis had never seen the road. The $60k appraisal is way to low for a 65 model. The finished car was valued at $159k, so $110k is a good investment.