Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Guys I need some advice and possibly some help

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/07, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I need some advice and possibly some help

Ok, I think most of you know the ordeal with my 87. Nothing major wrong with it, just a bunch of annoying minor crap.

This one though, is something honestly that is outside of my knowledge. Call me whatever, but I want to ask before ruining something.

My rockers are ticking. Pretty loud on inital startup, but quickly dies down to a light tapping. Still enough to be heard though. Almost sounds like roller rockers (which is what the guy who sold it to me told me it was). I removed the valve covers a while back and found the torque specs for the rocker nuts. Book showed 17-23 ft/lbs, so I split the difference at 20 ft/lbs. Definately quietened them down SOME, but it still sounds awful.

Heads on the car are completely stock. I thought I read somewhere that you had to adjust valve lash or something to that affect. I quite honestly don't know if I know how to do that. Someone said you had to do it with the car running, but seems to me that it would make a huge mess.

I'd like to fix this issue before seriously driving the car very much. No damage visible right now and under the valve covers looks like brand new, but I figured eventually it would chip a rocker or something worse maybe.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Or even better, anyone near Meridianville got some free time to come show me how to do this? All answers (constructive criticism welcome) are appreciated.

Oh yea....dunno if it's worth anything, but I've got a 50 oz flywheel in good shape that I'll give to whomever might want it if they can spare a few minutes to come by and show me how to fix this... BTW....I don't have a torque wrench at the moment. I borrowed one and had to give it back. It was property of Mr. Rooter.
Old 7/28/07, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

See if this helps: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ent-vt272.html
Old 7/28/07, 08:04 AM
Cobra R Member

How do you know it is the rockers ticking and not the lifters?
Old 7/28/07, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

grrrrrrr lifters, dont even get me started. I have one that is terrible at start-up.
Old 7/28/07, 04:18 PM

It very well could be the lifters leaking down when it sits for a while. I guess that could explain the initial loud tapping it makes before quieting down a bit. I dunno. I do know however, that I could wiggle the rockers left to right when I took the valve covers off before I tightened them down.

What's the way to fix it?
Old 7/28/07, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 98Stanger
What's the way to fix it?
Noisy lifters? Change them out.

First, you need to properly adjust valve lash as the link shows. This should be done with the engine warm.

Second, you need to make sure you are running the proper weight oil.

Third, you need to verify that you have enough oil. Some folks go by the dipstick. They are usually wrong. The next time you change, find where ONE QUART LOW is. Drain the oil, change out the filter, throw in 4 quarts. Start and run the engine for 30 seconds. Leave it shut off for one minute. You can now mark the dipstick for ONE QUART LOW. This setting os the most important one. Now you can go ahead and add the last quart and mark the stick for FULL if you like.

Last, you could try some of that Bardahl's "Mystery Engine Oil" or whatever it is called to see if it will help clean them up a little bit. Comes in a red can. Personally, the only one I have tried that seemed to work a little bit is Seafoam.

I have a set of stock rocker arms and will have a set of roller lifters and pushrods laying around soon. Already have a set of 86 heads that I am not sure what I will do with.
Old 7/28/07, 09:32 PM

Guys I will be completely honest here. I have very little clue as to adjusting valve lash. Never done it before. I know it might make me sound like an idiot, but I'll admit to that. Is this a very hard process? Someone told me if I did it wrong, I'm looking at some serious damage.
Old 7/29/07, 07:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Is this a very hard process?
Have you read the link?
Old 7/29/07, 01:27 PM

Yes I did read it. I'm going to try it later on. I've got to try and find a torque wrench again though. Don't have one at the moment.
Old 7/29/07, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes I did read it. I'm going to try it later on. I've got to try and find a torque wrench again though. Don't have one at the moment.
You should be able to borrow one from AutoZone. $25 deposit that is refundable when yuo return it unharmed.