Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Electric Fan Install for 84

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/09, 07:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fan Install for 84

Well, after looking around and seeing some very old posts, I thought I would throw in the first fresh one. This is a few photos from my electric fan install. Thought this was cool. Click on the thumbnails for larger pictures.

First, here is what it looked like before I started.

A 1/2" wrench first removed the negative battery cable. I loosened the fan before I took the belt loose. The same 7/16" wrench that loosened the fan took off the shroud as well. Here is the space that I have to work with.

Now, the fan takes a bit of trimming. Here is the stock fan from the '97 T-bird that I found on ebay really cheap.

The first thing I did is trim the mounting ears off. To do this, it is best to use a hacksaw on a plastic handle. A dremel or such melts the material and makes it a lot harder to cut.

Since I am running a 3-core Modine radiator, I decided to go with a 3/4" trim. I first set a guide with masking tape.

A little elbow grease and I now have a trimmed fan. This should give good space with the water pump pulley.

Now I found an old hose clamp, did some cutting, rounding, bending, drilling, and painting to make two mounting ears.

I attached them with some rivets, then cut some vacuum line to slip over the trimmed edge. This is starting to look nice.

I then set the fan in for a test fit. Notice that I am installing the fan upside down. This orients it over to the driver's side a little more.

Now to mount the Flex-A-Lite (FAL) fan controller with rivets to the fan mount. I'm using the 33054. It is adjustable with a temperature probe that slips between radiator fins. It will drive fans up to 45 amps. It has a 6-second delay on start so as not to draw while starting the car. It runs the fan at the set temperature at 60%. When the temp rises ten degrees more than that, it drives the fan at 100%. It also keeps the fan running for 30 seconds after you shut the car off. This thing is slick!

Now to slip everything in, mount the fan, then start wiring in the controller. The T-bird fan I have has three wires - ground, low speed, and high speed. I wired to the high speed and let the controller do its thing.

I'll finish up the post with the last two pictures showing the room and clearance I have with the fan and water pump pulley.

The testing of the controller went well. I have been running it for a few days now. I have not even had to adjust it. I also wired it per instructions to come on when the A/C is turned on since I use that. The thing sounds awesome when I turn off the car and the fan is still running. :-)

Last edited by Puter; 9/8/09 at 08:01 AM.
Old 9/8/09, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats a whole lot of detail there. Good Job!
Old 9/8/09, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ralph, you want to rewire my fan, yours looks better than mine!