Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

Camber bolt question...

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/11 | 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Camber bolt question...

When I lowered my 2007 Mustang, it settled at 2", which is lower than they were supposed to be. I put camber bolts on and had it re-aligned due to negative camber. Now the inside of my front tires ar like a washboard. I have negative camber again. Are the bolts notorious for slipping? Do I need to get camber plates to keep the bolts in place? Also...my car would not go on the rack to align because it is too low. HELP!!
Old 2/18/11 | 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I am wondering if I need to adjust the toe instead of the camber bolts. I have a toe out. It appears that it is a large amount, although I do not know the exact degree. The passenger front is much worse than the driver's front. Can I adjust the toe myself?
Old 2/18/11 | 02:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

it is most difficult to eyeball set toe in .. but if you must i think about 1/16 toe in recommended ..
Old 2/18/11 | 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I might have to leave this one up to the experts and take it in. It is too risky to get in there and "try" to figure it out. It seems like the camber bolts were not put in correct in the first place. This sux.....now I need 2 front tires. I got them in May!
Old 2/18/11 | 02:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I had the same problem on my 67 when I did the shelby drop to it. But I never noticed my alignment problem and had the tires worn down all the way to the white cord in some areas.
Old 2/18/11 | 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

As you know I recently dropped my car (a few months ago). I've heard some good things about a guy by the name of Keith at Big 10 Tires in Madison on the corner of Wall Triana and Sullivan. I've talked to him a few times and is a nice guy. I'm going to take my car there to get my front end aligned.
Old 2/18/11 | 06:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You have to make sure to tell your alignment shop that you have camber bolts in there. My shop didn't know seeing how its not a stock thing. I could see it was out. I'm pretty sure the camber bolt goes in the top hole.
Old 2/18/11 | 07:00 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by D'prived
As you know I recently dropped my car (a few months ago). I've heard some good things about a guy by the name of Keith at Big 10 Tires in Madison on the corner of Wall Triana and Sullivan. I've talked to him a few times and is a nice guy. I'm going to take my car there to get my front end aligned.
He is over on another forum and I've heard good things about him as well.
Old 2/18/11 | 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

you can check www.discounttiredirect.com also.
Old 2/21/11 | 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

The washboard, or heel and toe wear pattern can be caused by several things. In your case, I would suspect either a toe alignment error or bumpsteer. Bumpsteer is the variation of toe alignment with suspension travel. In other words, as the suspension moves up and down, it changes the toe settings because the steering arms are now moving in a different arc than the suspension. They make bumpsteer kits and should always be installed when lowering a car.

It's also crucial that you rotate your tires very often on these cars to avoid these problems getting to the point of no return.

Negative Camber is a good thing. Zero camber is for minivans and UHaul trucks.
Old 2/21/11 | 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mberglo
It's also crucial that you rotate your tires very often on these cars to avoid these problems getting to the point of no return.

Thanks for the info. Unfortuntely or fortunately, depends on how you look at it. I staggered my tires. 19 x 8.5 in front, 19 x 10 on back. I am really wishing I had the same now.
Old 2/21/11 | 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

you would have 4 tire wore out the same way if you had rotated them. So your lucky.
Old 2/21/11 | 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Glenn
you would have 4 tire wore out the same way if you had rotated them. So your lucky.
I never thought of it like that. Thanks!
Old 2/21/11 | 08:46 PM

Lisa, take it to Robert Gaines @Big 10 next to Redstone FCU. He's great with alignments/front end issues.
Old 2/23/11 | 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I decided to take off my tire and adjust my camber bolt. First of all, it was put in backwards! Not happy at all about that. It was a huge pain to get out. When I finally got it out, it was stripped. Seriously?? I asked the guy if he could align my car and properly install and adjust the camber bolts correctly. He said he could with no problems at all. Valuable lesson learned today.....if you want something done right, do it yourself. This is the only thing I personally did not do to my car. It bothered me to have someone else do it. At least it is fixed now.

Last edited by sychobaby; 2/23/11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 2/24/11 | 04:09 AM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by sychobaby
.....if you want something done right, do it yourself. This is the only thing I personally did not do to my car. It bothered me to have someone else do it. .
ggod for you . now when can you get to my stang .. it needs an alignment as well as the rest of the body work done and resprayed white with the black boss stripe ..
Old 2/24/11 | 08:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by sychobaby
the guy
Who?
Go ahead and post the name and the shop.
Old 2/24/11 | 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya i want to know so i dont go there!
Old 2/24/11 | 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rogue
ya i want to know so i dont go there!
I believe it was Top Line Tires Parkway and Governors Drive.
Old 2/24/11 | 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jayslx1
Lisa, take it to Robert Gaines @Big 10 next to Redstone FCU. He's great with alignments/front end issues.
I've heard good things about Robert too. The reason I'm taking mine to Keith at Big 10 in Madison is because I work down the road from there.

Quick Reply: Camber bolt question...