Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

65 Weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/12, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 Weatherstripping

<TABLE id=post6212214 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #dddddd 1px solid" id=td_post_6212214 class=alt1>Am trying to do as much work as possible freshening up my 65.
I am focused on the weatherstripping on the doors and back windows to reduce leaks and wind. I have the weatherstripping but cannot find any instructions that breaks it down for beginners. Most advertised manuals have reviews that indicate weak weatherstripping and interior help.
Any good information out there that will help me out? I would appreciate instructions rather than best guess and trial and error.
<!-- / message -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #dddddd 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #dddddd 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #dddddd 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddddd 1px solid" class=alt2> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #dddddd 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #dddddd 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #dddddd 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #dddddd 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 1/2/12, 01:51 PM
V6 Member

YouTube vid of a '65 Skylark Weathstripping project:

May be helpful...
Old 1/3/12, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Door weatherstripping is glued onto the body. Beltline (where door meets glass, uses clips.

Always buy the new parts before you remove the old parts. It will help to visualize how they are assembled.
Old 1/4/12, 07:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After comparing your new w/s to the old, remove the door w/s carefully with a putty knife or razor blade scraper. Clean the mounting surface of the door with 3M adhesive cleaner as well as the new weatherstripping. Following the directions on the packaging, use 3M super weatherstrip adhesive to glue the new door w/s to the door. On the rear windows, I guess you are talking about the quarter window vertical w/s. Remove the quarter post seal to access 2 screws located at the base of the vertical w/s, then slide the old w/s down and out of the channel at the front of the window. Apply a small amount of spray lubricant to the new w/s and slide it up into the channel, reinstall the 2 screws and the quarter post seals.