Rocket City Mustang Club Huntsville, Alabama Chapter of The Mustang Club of America

65 Retractable HT 4Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/08 | 02:17 PM
GT Member

65 Retractable HT 4Sale

Have you guys heard of this model before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...mZ290266650996
Attached Images    
Old 10/10/08 | 03:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

it was done as a kit... they never made a production Hard Top like this
Old 10/10/08 | 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

That's wild. Looks like something Jay Leno would buy.
Old 10/10/08 | 07:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
That's wild. Looks like something Jay Leno would buy.
I believe Jay prefers factory specialty cars.
Old 10/10/08 | 07:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by karman
I believe Jay prefers factory specialty cars.
You're probably right, but his Tank-car isn't exactly a factory piece.
Old 10/10/08 | 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

All I know is it's an abomination and needs to be lost.... messing up a perfectly fine convertible with that ugliness...

Now, a 57 retractable is uber. I fixed one... it's a thing of beauty when all those 10 solenoids and various switches work right. I'm pretty **** proud about figuring out how to permanently fix a loosy-goosy flip panel issue. You get a *positive* on/off switch. I don't know the exact name, but the thing won't turn on unless it bottoms out on the switch. It won't turn off until the switch is fully extended.

Anyway, when you have a flip panel that, because of the worn gears inside (and the customer not wanting to buy the fix for that) you innovate. I found the switch, fashioned a mount for it so it could be put in the factory location, saved the old switch, found an oem pigtail to solder to the new switch, and plugged it in.

Tada, one instantly working retractable system!

Which makes me uber proud, because it worked right off... and it had taken my boss 2 weeks to get to the point of "what the hell is so frakin' messed up here?" And I fixed it in about 4 hours.

/Forest for the trees.
//I had had enough of the **** car and wanted it out of the shop.
///we were a *computer* shop, which was ever more the stupid part of it.
////but we're both Ford gearheads at heart... still was dumb. Irritated me, and a waste of a lot of time, so it had to GO.
Old 10/11/08 | 05:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
All I know is it's an abomination and needs to be lost.... messing up a perfectly fine convertible with that ugliness...

Now, a 57 retractable is uber. I fixed one... it's a thing of beauty when all those 10 solenoids and various switches work right. I'm pretty **** proud about figuring out how to permanently fix a loosy-goosy flip panel issue. You get a *positive* on/off switch. I don't know the exact name, but the thing won't turn on unless it bottoms out on the switch. It won't turn off until the switch is fully extended.

Anyway, when you have a flip panel that, because of the worn gears inside (and the customer not wanting to buy the fix for that) you innovate. I found the switch, fashioned a mount for it so it could be put in the factory location, saved the old switch, found an oem pigtail to solder to the new switch, and plugged it in.

Tada, one instantly working retractable system!

Which makes me uber proud, because it worked right off... and it had taken my boss 2 weeks to get to the point of "what the hell is so frakin' messed up here?" And I fixed it in about 4 hours.

/Forest for the trees.
//I had had enough of the **** car and wanted it out of the shop.
///we were a *computer* shop, which was ever more the stupid part of it.
////but we're both Ford gearheads at heart... still was dumb. Irritated me, and a waste of a lot of time, so it had to GO.
A lot of people have spent a lot of time fiddling with those mechanisms.
Congrats on finding a new solution.
Old 10/11/08 | 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks! It's fun to bring that subject up every so often. I love telling him "see?"