2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Upgrade Bullitt Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/08, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Bullitt Suspension

I was considering upgrading the Bullitts suspension. I was gonna get steeda springs, adjustable panahrd bar, etc, etc but feel like it will be a waste of money for a street car. What experience does anyone have with the ford racing suspension kit on the shelby GT's or the Eibach pro system plus kit. I was looking for a total kit that costs about 1000 dollars with springs, shocks, and sway bars.
Old 7/4/08, 05:44 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by j0eyabs
... but feel like it will be a waste of money for a street car...
I believe you have answered your own question.

Those mods are fine if they suit a purpose, such as for auto-xing. If that is the case then it is best to get top of the line replacement parts, which might not exactly be FRPPs, for maximun handling response and safety. You should keep in mind the reality of racing suspensions and having rough ride are synonymous.
Old 7/4/08, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I personally have not driven a She;by GT, but my brother in law has. He said that in the time it took to drive from Linden, NJ to Downs Ford in Tom's River, he couldn't wait to get out of the car. Most magazine reviews have given the Bullitt the edge on the Shelby as to having a good balance between streetability and performance. I won't be messing with mine.
Old 7/4/08, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont mind ride quality too much both my SVT focus and Mustang SVO had very stiff suspensions and it doesnt bother me. I just want something that will make the car handle cause as it stands now it scares me to go around corners at any kind of quick speed because the suspension on the car is average at best for a sports car. I drove the shebly GT and the suspension and ride was good but I didnt get to push too much because of the sales guy. I am just wondering if its worth it of if I should spend the extra 700-800 dollars and get something better. I know the Sheby GT pulls around .94g's which is something I would like to be around. Also something I can take to a track maybe 1 -2 times a year and feel safe in driving around the track. I wouldnt feel safe in the setup it has now. Just wondering whats better Eibach, Ford Racing, or just spend more and get like a steeda setup with some maxim motorsports products. I dont want to go to serious because I have my SVO for that but still want something that will make the Bullitt more fun to drive and give it a better stance.
Old 7/4/08, 07:18 PM
Cobra R Member

It looks like adding a Watts link would be something to consider.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html
Old 7/5/08, 11:01 AM
V6 Member

I haven't driven a Bullitt so I don't know how it compares to a stock GT. I'm more comfortable driving fast in a Shelby GT than I am in a stock GT. I think the Shelby GT is limited by the stock tires so it may be the same for the Bullitt.

I think part of problem with the ride in the Shelby GT is the jounce bumpers (bump stops). They have the stock rear bumpers which only leave about 1/4" of suspension travel before the body reaches the bumper. Trimming two sections off the bumpers seemed to improve the ride and the handling.

I believe the Ford Racing kit uses Eibach springs and sway bars so the only difference between it and the Pro System Plus kit may be the shocks. I had the Roush kit on an 05 GT and it compared favorably to the Ford Racing kit. Steeda also makes good stuff.

The Saleen Watts Link is an interesting piece. I have one but I haven't installed yet.
Old 7/6/08, 11:12 PM
GT Member

I just want something that will make the car handle cause as it stands now it scares me to go around corners at any kind of quick speed because the suspension on the car is average at best for a sports car. I drove the shebly GT and the suspension and ride was good but I didnt get to push too much because of the sales guy.
i am really not understanding the whole want of less suspension travel in a daily driver? specifically since the bullitt was pulling lap times better than the shelby gt at miller motorsports park?

if you do anything i would suggest the griggs kit. its twice as expensive but it will change the attachment points out back while putting the entire car on adjustable coilovers.http://www.griggsracing.com/product_...roducts_id=603
Old 7/7/08, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks for all the input. I think I will get one of steeda's setups with springs and shocks and leave it at that. After talking to a few people the factory sway bars will serve the purpose and i will get an adjustable panhard bar. I guess its the springs that bother me cause they are too soft. With the springs and shocks I should be good, and of course some tires.
Old 7/7/08, 01:44 PM
GT Member

are you sure???

by changing the geometry of the rear suspension the car will stay flatter in the corners even with a softer spring. on top of that you can lower the car without losing travel! $3600 + installation is that much for what you get(2+ it took to develope this suspension). pic? this photo does show the optional watts link.

by the way this over weight out of balance gt500 pulls 1.2g's, and peak gs above 1.5 with the entire griggs set up.
Old 7/7/08, 04:44 PM
V6 Member

Steeda also offers a watt-link set up if your interested.

http://www.steeda.com/products/steed..._link_s197.php
Old 7/7/08, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know guys?
Didn't we buy our Bullitts because of the package?
I would think buy a plain jane Mustang GT deserves Suspension mods and a Bullitt should be left alone.
I don't want to offend anyone it just my feelings
Old 7/8/08, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

yes i think the Bullitt suspension should be left alone if you are a fan of off-road vehicles. The just sits way too high.
Old 7/8/08, 11:04 AM
GT Member

yes i think the Bullitt suspension should be left alone if you are a fan of off-road vehicles. The just sits way too high.
should it look like this?
Old 7/8/08, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

thats looks cool, but 1 inch lower front and rear on stock bullitt i think will shut me up. same stance as the shelby gt
Old 7/8/08, 07:16 PM
GT Member

thats looks cool, but 1 inch lower front and rear on stock bullitt i think will shut me up. same stance as the shelby gt
yet the shelby gt seems to be slower in the corners??? lowering the car by taking away an inch of suspension travel is not the answer if you are looking for performance.
Old 7/8/08, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are a kid of the 60's "like myself" you would like having the Butt of your Stang in the air. We all knew if the car was jacked up in the back it was faster!
Old 7/8/08, 10:51 PM

I agree with everyone in some way, i don't think changing a stock bullitt seems like a big necessity unless your one of those all performance guys. But for me a suspension upgrade will be due very shortly, though i have never driven a "stock" bullitt, i don't know what the power and suspension is like, but in my case, with the supercharger, whenever i get on the gas the rear end really drops far i really think i need stiffer suspension in the rear. I also wouldn't mind dropping the ride height an inch or two, give it a more stealthy look.
Old 7/8/08, 10:58 PM
V6 Member

thanks for all the input. I think I will get one of steeda's setups with springs and shocks and leave it at that. After talking to a few people the factory sway bars will serve the purpose and i will get an adjustable panhard bar. I guess its the springs that bother me cause they are too soft. With the springs and shocks I should be good, and of course some tires.
You may have already seen this. A before and after with the Steeda springs.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158307
Old 7/9/08, 07:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by on d bit
yet the shelby gt seems to be slower in the corners??? lowering the car by taking away an inch of suspension travel is not the answer if you are looking for performance.

Lowering the car may remove a SMALL amount of suspension travel. Most kits retain 90% of it. Besides, suspension travel is not what makes a car handle or perform best!

Check out Eibach's site for information on how lowering ~1" increases everything from braking, acceleration, slalom, to MPG!!!!!

The Bullitt's lower weight and better gearing could have been the primary factor in beating the Shelby GT around the track.

Last edited by jymontoya; 7/9/08 at 07:22 AM.
Old 7/9/08, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jymontoya
Lowering the car may remove a SMALL amount of suspension travel. Most kits retain 90% of it. Besides, suspension travel is not what makes a car handle or perform best!

Check out Eibach's site for information on how lowering ~1" increases everything from braking, acceleration, slalom, to MPG!!!!!

The Bullitt's lower weight and better gearing could have been the primary factor in beating the Shelby GT around the track.

the key is create proper alignment between the front roll center of the car and the rear roll center of the car called the roll axis. cutting the springs by one inch does nothing to help the relationship! once you have the correct geometry between the roll axis and center of gravity, you can use softer springs and still keep the car flat in the corners.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=64Y1xpTYXUU

but the best part? run that vid side by side with this one....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gvs2V4BBqI0

even with the stoppage of the mustang tape, it beat the f430 and gallardo up the hill.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Bullitt Suspension