Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT

Says who?
I love the BULLITT!

(We knew that)
Old 11/14/07, 06:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
Some folks are just jealous that they can't get an 08 Bullitt. With only 7700 available this is not a car you can wait till next year to get.
So because of their jealousy and anger they have to come on here and tear the car apart.
That won't affect my enjoyment one little bit- it's going to be one sweet ride!!!!
Wow - you got me. That is totally why I have been critical of it. I am so jealous because I know that there aren't any Ford dealerships (like the ones where I know the sales manager) where I could order it right now or otherwise buy it because they would refuse my cash purchase.

Or maybe, just maybe, I realize that I could have a better car in the color I want if I just bought a GT and installed gears, a CAI, and some GT500 brakes.
Old 11/14/07, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Perry H
Wow - you got me. That is totally why I have been critical of it. I am so jealous because I know that there aren't any Ford dealerships (like the ones where I know the sales manager) where I could order it right now or otherwise buy it because they would refuse my cash purchase.

Or maybe, just maybe, I realize that I could have a better car in the color I want if I just bought a GT and installed gears, a CAI, and some GT500 brakes.
That's what the Mustang is about. Choices. Make your choice, have the car the way YOU want it, but why jump over others for making theirs?
Old 11/14/07, 07:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
I haven't read a post from anyone that is that much of a 'purist'

the person you describe needs a '68 390 GT
No you haven't, but the point is that some are using the "its faithful to the car in the movie" argument as justifications for their position that the car is great. The point of my post is that they are arbitrarily drawing the line as to what being faithful to the original car means.

The original car was a beat up, joe schmoe, you could afford it on a cop's salary in Frisco in the 60's car. If that is really what Ford was going for with their special edition model (and I don't think it was) ... well then I guess there isn't too much live up to and they pulled it off with flying colors.

There isn't much extraordinary about it. It will get better performance numbers than a GT, but primarily because it has 3.73 gears - something easily done yourself. Come on... if GM released a Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am with a Chicken on the hood, a glue on dash applique', a higher rear end ratio, and a fake mustache you'd all be making fun of it. Your Ford loyalty is clouding your judgement.

The only reason to get this car is if you really like green - or you really need stock 3.73 gears (e.g., for SCCA F stock solo II), or you just like the movie that much. Otherwise it is not a compelling performance vehicle compared to a regular GT.
Old 11/14/07, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Just a couple of points for the purists: Perry, the Charger was not a hemi. It was the potent 440cu.in. engine, quite capable I might add. And Steve Mcqueen did not choose the Mustang. It was chosen for him. I believe it was Bud Elkins car. They bought a second Mustang, which just happened to be a 2+2 with the 390cu.in. engine, so they had to take all the badging off both cars to make them appear similar for filming and believe it or not, they are not identical.This is where the "true" Bullitt was born, because they had to strip both cars into the car we now accept as the official 1968 movie car. If you have a sharp eye, you'll see where the two are not the same in parts of the film. I won't tell you where, but have a real close look and see if you can tell.
I think anyone who buys a 2008 Bullitt will not regret it one bit! It's as close as you're going to get (with a modern twist) to the original.
Old 11/15/07, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
That's what the Mustang is about. Choices. Make your choice, have the car the way YOU want it, but why jump over others for making theirs?
I'm not jumping on anyone's personal choice. Just what is very possibly blind subjective allegiance. If everyone harps about how great this car is - that is all Ford is ever going to give us.

Ford isn't offering choices, they're offering one off "special editions" at a price premium as marketing gimicks in the same vein as special edition action figures or comic books.

In 1968 you could buy a Shelby with a small block or a big block. You could get it with stripes or without (painted not peel away in the wind after 10,000 miles vinyl). You could get it with an automatic or a 4-speed. You could get it in plenty more colors than are offered now. You could get a fastback or a coupe with a 6 cylinder, small block V8 or one of two big blocks. You could configure a fastback to be just like a Shelby without it being a Shelby. You could get it in 16 different colors. You could pick from 12 different rear end ratios... etc.

I'm beginning to think that if all they did to this car was paint it green and put bullitt rims on it you guys still would eat it up. And, come to think about it... painting it green is pretty much the only thing about it that you couldn't replicate easily in your own garage.

It's not a bad car. It is actually pretty cool. I just feel like I need to insert a reality check to counteract the love fest for something that isn't that big of a deal.

Now let's wait and see if anyone complains when Dodge charges $4000 for a special edition Charger with nothing different except orange paint and doors that don't open.
Old 11/15/07, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

True, you had choices, but that also came at the cost of dependability and uniformity. It's a PITA sometimes to find the proper parts for old stangs or get bolts in correctly b/c everything was pretty much specially ordered and every car was different. Also, as the industry moved on, it became pretty dang hard to keep all those options open due to costs. Look at other manufacturers and their "variants" of their current sports cars. Ford definitely gives a very large amount of options.
GT deluxe and prem.
v6 deluxe and prem.
GT/CS
pony package
v6 appearance package (coming out for job2)
Bullitt
-Also, some of the IMBOC guys that talked to Ford reps said that they hinted at a car to specifically be made to challenge the Camaro/Challenger (Mach1?, BOSS? who knows)

You could be like GM and just slap "SS" on everything and just add a little more chrome and move on...

I don't think folks on here need a reality check. We are aware of what could be offered. But, the Bullitt is a nice option and Ford did a decent job with it. Just b/c more could have been done, I'm not going to sit here and be like "Well, they should have had the 5.4L, completely different body, louvers blah blah blah." There are cons to the bigger engine, louvers, etc. That is including cost to Ford and the buyer. If what people are saying about it beating out the SGT at the track is true, I'm very happy with the Bullitt. We are appreciating the car for what it is... a nice tribute to the movie car of '68. If Steve's son said Steve would like it, I'll take that answer anyday. The haters can kiss it and go play with their car that they like. All I know is that I'm putting down a deposit today and for the first time, I feel like I'm making a very good choice on a new car.
Old 11/15/07, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Also, yes, you could build a better car, but that could be said for ANY car out there, right? I'd rather have the car that was actually made to commemorate the Bullitt than someone's car that they modified with "better parts." There is something about having the car that was conceived for that purpose.
Old 11/15/07, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Perry H
I'm not jumping on anyone's personal choice. Just what is very possibly blind subjective allegiance. If everyone harps about how great this car is - that is all Ford is ever going to give us.

Ford isn't offering choices, they're offering one off "special editions" at a price premium as marketing gimicks in the same vein as special edition action figures or comic books.

In 1968 you could buy a Shelby with a small block or a big block. You could get it with stripes or without (painted not peel away in the wind after 10,000 miles vinyl). You could get it with an automatic or a 4-speed. You could get it in plenty more colors than are offered now. You could get a fastback or a coupe with a 6 cylinder, small block V8 or one of two big blocks. You could configure a fastback to be just like a Shelby without it being a Shelby. You could get it in 16 different colors. You could pick from 12 different rear end ratios... etc.

I'm beginning to think that if all they did to this car was paint it green and put bullitt rims on it you guys still would eat it up. And, come to think about it... painting it green is pretty much the only thing about it that you couldn't replicate easily in your own garage.

It's not a bad car. It is actually pretty cool. I just feel like I need to insert a reality check to counteract the love fest for something that isn't that big of a deal.

Now let's wait and see if anyone complains when Dodge charges $4000 for a special edition Charger with nothing different except orange paint and doors that don't open.
A bit pessimistic no? The discussion of the Bullitt is in this forum, which is specifically to discuss the Bullitt. With that in mind you can expect to find a larger amount of posts referring to the Bullitt than other Mustang varieties / offerings.

As you say, it's a Special Edition, Ford has stated they want to offer one new SE every year. Enthusiasm for any one isn't going to mean that the next one will be the same. It also doesn't translate to 'blind subjective allegiance' just because someone likes what tehy have done with this car as opposed to your view of it.

You don't need to insert any 'reality checks'. If some are more enthusiastic for this car than you can handle, let them have it. You aren't the over enthusiasm police.
The Bullitt may not be a 'big deal' to you, but it is a nice SE at a fair price.

This isn't 1968, and the Bullitt isn't a Shelby. There is another forum for them.

What Dodge Charger has doors that don't open?
Old 11/15/07, 10:45 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Excellent analysis Perry H. Many of your details are not just your opinion but reality, some have difficulty handling it and since there is only lame counter points which can be made to offset the obvious, what's left is to resort to name calling.

What this proves is that many of the BULLITT fanatics visiting TMS lack the class they so claim to have. In essence, Ford was 100% correct in selecting and granting them the specs they deserve.

One size fits all -taylor made to fit.
Old 11/15/07, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

When I first heard rumors of a S197 Bullitt, based on what the 2001 Bullitt was like I expected a dark green GT , cleaned up a little on the exterior, with 5 spoke American mag type wheels with some special interior and exterior trim and given a little tuning for 10 or 15 more horsepower. I thought, this S197 Bullitt would be even closer to the movie car as it looks a lot more like the classic Mustangs than the '99-up Mustangs. And that's what Ford delivered.

People on the interweb got so excited talking about it day after day and they kept expecting more and more until in their minds it became basically a dark highland green non-supercharged GT500 with the full road race suspension and IRS, all for the same price as standard GT. Oh what a letdown when that didn't happen.

People projected all this stuff on what is basically a "tribute" package for fans of the movie and Steve McQueen,
a special edition package designed to recall a cool looking car from a movie starring a cool actor.

They started saying "Ford dropped the ball again" when the car didn't live up to their inflated expectations; in my opinion Ford succeeded. They succeeded in delivering a nice tribute car that recalls the car from the movie even better than the first Bullitt special edition.

People who understand what the car is supposed to be a tribute to like it; those who expected it to be super high performance killer package (which Ford never promised it to be or even hinted at it becoming) don't.

What I don't understand is how so many people gripe and complain about it. If you don't like it don't buy it and go on with your life. If you like it buy it and wear your turtleneck sweater and brown jacket while driving it.
Old 11/15/07, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Excellent analysis Perry H. Many of your details are not just your opinion but reality, some have difficulty handling it and since there is only lame counter points which can be made to offset the obvious, what's left is to resort to name calling.

What this proves is that many of the BULLITT fanatics visiting TMS lack the class they so claim to have. In essence, Ford was 100% correct in selecting and granting them the specs they deserve.

One size fits all -taylor made to fit.

The reality is that some have difficulty handling that there are people who like the '08 Bullitt, and will actually buy one.

Maybe Fords next Mustang SE will meet with your approval.
Old 11/15/07, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
When I first heard rumors of a S197 Bullitt, based on what the 2001 Bullitt was like I expected a dark green GT , cleaned up a little on the exterior, with 5 spoke American mag type wheels with some special interior and exterior trim and given a little tuning for 10 or 15 more horsepower. I thought, this S197 Bullitt would be even closer to the movie car as it looks a lot more like the classic Mustangs than the '99-up Mustangs. And that's what Ford delivered.

People on the interweb got so excited talking about it day after day and they kept expecting more and more until in their minds it became basically a dark highland green non-supercharged GT500 with the full road race suspension and IRS, all for the same price as standard GT. Oh what a letdown when that didn't happen.

People projected all this stuff on what is basically a "tribute" package for fans of the movie and Steve McQueen,
a special edition package designed to recall a cool looking car from a movie starring a cool actor.

They started saying "Ford dropped the ball again" when the car didn't live up to their inflated expectations; in my opinion Ford succeeded. They succeeded in delivering a nice tribute car that recalls the car from the movie even better than the first Bullitt special edition.

People who understand what the car is supposed to be a tribute to like it; those who expected it to be super high performance killer package (which Ford never promised it to be or even hinted at it becoming) don't.

What I don't understand is how so many people gripe and complain about it. If you don't like it don't buy it and go on with your life. If you like it buy it and wear your turtleneck sweater and brown jacket while driving it.
Very good analysis.

Better dig in now though
Old 11/15/07, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Seems like the determining factor for you to choose a car is the meaning of a fictional movie, with a fictional characters, in a controlled enviroment, where scenes and stunts are rehersed until the final product is edited.

Make belief never made more sense!

Got to hand it to Ford. Despite their short comings and their financial chuck hold they are masters at targeting their market.
Oh and I suppose everyone buying GT500s have no race track fantasies nor care about what the Shelby name represents . They buy them purely because they are sensible, reliable, efficient commuter cars.

And no one who ever bought a 70's Pontiac Firebird was ever inspired by "The Rockford Files" or "Smokey and the Bandit". Perposterous!
I'm so glad you're above all that sort of childish nonsense!
Old 11/15/07, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

You're right about the hype concerning the Bullitt. It was us who were believing it would have this or that. Ford was very quiet about the whole project so much that we began to assume a lot about the car, since Ford wasn't saying a thing. Then we were all let down about what it wasn't, until a few clear-minded people began to realize exactly what this car was all about. I wished the 2001 was more too, but it wasn't. Ford has to do a tremendous balancing act to bring any car to production. We're lucky that Ford even offers us this model, and that we have a supportive aftermarket to get it right for those who would change a few things. All in all, the car is exactly what it is. The Mach1 was too much bling for me, so I didn't buy one (one of the few I haven't purchased). With the new Bullitt, Ford gives you the ever important option of not buying it. Many people will wait for the next Mach1, Boss, etc., and that's fine. I'm sure they will be great cars and will have much appeal to them. I think Ford did a splendid job overall on the new Bullitt and will make many new owners very happy. Throw in the reasonable MSRP and you just can't go wrong with this car. What a great value it is!!
As a side note: If Dodge made a General Lee edition of the Charger ( the Charger with the orange paint and doors that won't open), would we scold them for making a car with doors that would open?!
Old 11/15/07, 11:16 AM

Oh and I suppose everyone buying GT500s have no race track fantasies nor care about what the Shelby name represents. They buy them purely because they are sensible, reliable, efficient commuter cars.

And no one who ever bought a 70's Pontiac Firebird was ever inspired by "The Rockford Files" or "Smokey and the Bandit". Perposterous!
You dialed the wrong number there, sport. Ignorance seems to be a virtue you have the pleasure of enjoying. Next step: RESEARCH.

Carroll Shelby can sign every GT500 manufactured by Ford except mine. The Shelby crowd knows exactly how I feel with respect to his minimal contributions to the GT500. I buy a car based on its design, specs, merits, and performance not on illusions and fantasies.
Old 11/15/07, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

You dialed the wrong number there, sport. Ignorance seems to be a virtue you have the pleasure of enjoying. Next step: RESEARCH.

Carroll Shelby can sign every GT500 manufactured by Ford except mine. The Shelby crowd knows exactly how I feel with respect to his minimal contributions to the GT500. I buy a car based on its design, specs, merits, and performance not on illusions and fantasies.
That's nice.

I'm buying an '08 Bullitt based on it's design, specs, merits, and performance as they appeal to me over a base GT.
I'm buying it in Highland Green because it is after all a Bullitt Tribute car and I believe it should be green, even though I generally prefer black

My Marauder is Black, my 2003 CVPI is Black, my 1957 Ford Del Rio is Black, and my 1957 Ford Country Squire is Black

My last Mustang a '64-1/2 260 convertible, was triple black.

If it weren't for people having illusions and fantasies, the Mustang would never have been a run away success on first introduction, and continue to be today.
Old 11/15/07, 03:59 PM

DHG and Highland Green are my favorite colors which are livelier and a lot better looking than the '68 version was. The color was one of the main factors I wanted a BULLITT since it hasn't been and won't be offered on any other Mustang model.

Its name, the relation to Steve McQueen, King of Cool, the movie, Lt. Frank Bullitt, the chase, or any tribute in associattion with its celebrity status were not even a consideration. I'd take high performance and knowing that it is top of the line over popularity each and every time.

As far as I am concerned, the one item which the BULLITT has going for it is that is the best of the three SEs Ford has introduced thus far on the current Mustang generation but...
Old 11/15/07, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

Carroll Shelby can sign every GT500 manufactured by Ford except mine. The Shelby crowd knows exactly how I feel with respect to his minimal contributions to the GT500.
You're calling me ignorant? Are you running low on ammo?

Learn to read more carefully, chuckles! In case you missed it, here is what I posted and you felt you had to start insulting me for:

Oh and I suppose everyone buying GT500s have no race track fantasies nor care about what the Shelby name represents . They buy them purely because they are sensible, reliable, efficient commuter cars.

And why should I care how you feel about Shelby anyway? Why should I take my time to research your opinions? You're no where near as cool or legendary as Steve McQueen or Caroll Shelby!

I buy a car based on its design, specs, merits, and performance not on illusions and fantasies.
Well isn't that special! Good for you! It must feel good to look down from your lofty perch atop your high horse, on us, the deluded masses below, and our childish illusions and fantasies.
Old 11/15/07, 04:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Should we even be listening to Perry H. Look at his post count- he has no right to voice his opinion

As for this being a love fest...I don't think that's the case at all. Many of us are excited to be getting a Bullitt- and if you're not excited about getting a car, maybe you shouldn't be getting that car!

Every road test and review of the Bullitt has been positive. The reviewers are loving this car. So something has to be right about it!

Sure you could mod a GT and make it like, or better, than the Bullitt. But it would cost a lot more than what Ford is charging for the car, PLUS you would void the warranty on every part except maybe the power windows.
Doesn't sound like a very reasonable thing to do.

Bottomline is- I will be owning a unique Mustang. One produced in limited numbers. It will also have an exclusive color that no current bodytype Mustang will have. And it has enough performance upgrades for me.
Ford did a great job making this model. It's priced right, it can be a daily driver, and they really put time and effort into what they were doing.
Naysayers can hate on it- but I'm not buying a car to please them, I'm buying it to please me.
And FOR SURE I will have many Bullitt fantasies while I blast around town!!

Quick Reply: Someone at Autoblog actually understands the Bullitt