2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

San Francisco Auto Show, Black Bullitt Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/07, 09:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great in black, but I like the green better. What's the deal with the grill though? That would be the first thing to go, it looks cheap.
Old 11/26/07, 11:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by VAiN
Looks great in black, but I like the green better. What's the deal with the grill though? That would be the first thing to go, it looks cheap.
It's the same grille as in any other new Mustang, less running horse and or Fog lights, but with the bright strip addition
Old 11/27/07, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RCSignals
It's the same grille as in any other new Mustang, less running horse and or Fog lights, but with the bright strip addition
Yes, but I think some of us are picking up on the fact it's because there isn't anything else to take away from all the blocked off area. The lights and/or pony help to draw attention away from it. If it were entirely open it would look a whole lot better and not collect as much dirt and waterspots. Yeah, I know it's a "minor" thing, but it's kinda like detailing your whole car and leaving the tires dirty. Still looks good, but could have been a little bit better is all.
Old 11/27/07, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I think there was a reason why they didn't open the grille up all the way... I don't remember why or if it was even true.
Old 11/27/07, 12:13 AM
V6 Member

Someone suggested the smaller opening was an engineering decision, not a design decision, because too much air flow through the grill could pressure the hood to open up at high speeds. That's funny, because my '68 and pretty much every other older Mustang have open grills and 40 year old hood locking technology and I've never had that happen . . . then again, I don't do zero to sixty times like the newer cars.
Old 11/27/07, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

That's correct. The partial openings in the grille are for channelled air flow. If it were to remain totally open, the air would not be directed where it needs to go, plus the stress factor making the hood raise or bulge.
Old 11/27/07, 08:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by goesfast
That's correct. The partial openings in the grille are for channelled air flow. If it were to remain totally open, the air would not be directed where it needs to go, plus the stress factor making the hood raise or bulge.
I don't agree with that at all... look at the Shelby GT grill - those hoods aren't flying off... maybe it's that fake scoop that keeps them locked down?
Old 11/27/07, 08:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jay_wx
Yes, but I think some of us are picking up on the fact it's because there isn't anything else to take away from all the blocked off area. The lights and/or pony help to draw attention away from it. If it were entirely open it would look a whole lot better and not collect as much dirt and waterspots. Yeah, I know it's a "minor" thing, but it's kinda like detailing your whole car and leaving the tires dirty. Still looks good, but could have been a little bit better is all.
Exactly... If/when I get one, the grill is out and a Shelby GT-like grill is going in.
Old 11/27/07, 10:16 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't agree with that at all... look at the Shelby GT grill - those hoods aren't flying off... maybe it's that fake scoop that keeps them locked down?
The SGT also has hood pins- so that might help.
Old 11/27/07, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't forget, the Shelby GT's grille is put over some of the front grille opening (at least the early ones were) and you don't see what's behind it. If you looked at some of the early Shelby GT's, it was obvious what SAI had done, and it did not look good. Perhaps they've changed that now as it was a major complaint or early model buyers. And I never said the hood would fly off, but it would raise or bulge, thus stressing the hood and disrupting air flow. If you understand air flow, you'll get my point. That's why cars have a fan shroud on them now when at one time they were not used at all. When you channel air, you direct it exactly where you want it. That's why the Bullitt's grille is shaped the way it is. I agree it doesn't look so good, but there's a reason for it.
Old 11/27/07, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

Exactly... If/when I get one, the grill is out and a Shelby GT-like grill is going in.
take a close look at one. The Shelby GT grille is laid over the stock grille and attached to it.
Old 11/27/07, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

I agree that's the only reasonable explanation.

The other new Mustang grilles have the same opening area, just some have fog lights in part of the blocked area.
Old 11/27/07, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
AirWolf Thanks for rapping them on the SYNC they say I can't have it but I Must have it time will heal, and Ford will also get the idea that a lot of us do like it ! Heck it can be a safty feature for me, although some see it as a hazard but so can a wife in car or backseat driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUiJaIlLRg
Old 11/27/07, 02:26 PM
V6 Member

Doesn't apply to the Bullitt or SGT, but does anyone know whether fiberglass is any more or less inclined to bulge or raise b/c of air flow? The GT-H has a fiberglass hood and hoodpins. For a while, I drove without the pins in and the hood would shake a little bit. The pins haven't really affected the shake, although I'm pretty sure they would help if the hood was actually to fly open.
Old 11/27/07, 03:06 PM
Cobra Member

The stock Mustang hood is aluminum? I'd think the fibreglas would be heavier, but still it really doesn't take tha much for moving air to lift something
Old 11/27/07, 03:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Benzito
Doesn't apply to the Bullitt or SGT, but does anyone know whether fiberglass is any more or less inclined to bulge or raise b/c of air flow? The GT-H has a fiberglass hood and hoodpins. For a while, I drove without the pins in and the hood would shake a little bit. The pins haven't really affected the shake, although I'm pretty sure they would help if the hood was actually to fly open.
I rented a GT-H for a Ford event and noticed how flimsy the hood seemed... it moved all the time during driving. Great looking hood though...
Old 11/27/07, 03:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
take a close look at one. The Shelby GT grille is laid over the stock grille and attached to it.
http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autobl...helbyGT_03.jpg

It doesn't look like there's anything behind that grill.... I could be wrong, however. I'll have to hit a dealership and check it out. I gotta get to the bottom of this hood thing!
Old 11/27/07, 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

http://stadium.weblogsinc.com/autobl...helbyGT_03.jpg

It doesn't look like there's anything behind that grill.... I could be wrong, however. I'll have to hit a dealership and check it out. I gotta get to the bottom of this hood thing!
You can't tell in that picture. There is a close up shot around here somewhere that shows it clearly
Old 11/27/07, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangPower05
Wow! The BULLITT in black looks sick!
Agreed. but im partial.
Old 11/27/07, 06:41 PM
V6 Member

The Bullitt is not lowered but actually sits a little higher than the stock suspension on a GT. It does not use the Ford Racing suspension package like the Shelby GT, but does have a slightly stiffer ride than the stock GT.

This means it probably provides a better handling package as compared to the stock GT, but with a more comfortable ride (due to increased travel and softer springs/struts) when compared to the lowered, stiffer FRPP suspension of the Shelby GT.

Quick Reply: San Francisco Auto Show, Black Bullitt Pics