2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Q regarding out of state Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/14, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q regarding out of state Bullitt

I live in California and I'm thinking about buying a 2008 Bullitt out of state.
My question is when I bring it back to CA, will it be smog compliant ?
The reason I ask is that it has the FRPP CAI which requires a tune due to it's greater air flow than stock.
Will this car pass the CA smog test ?
Is the Bullitt 50-state compliant ?
How do you CA Bullitt owners deal with the smog test ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gnf1; 6/8/14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 03:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by gnf1
I live in California and I'm thinking about buying a 2008 Bullitt out of state. My question is when I bring it back to CA, will it be smog compliant ? The reason I ask is that it has the FRPP CAI which requires a tune due to it's greater air flow than stock. Will this car pass the CA smog test ? Is the Bullitt 50-state compliant ? How do you CA owners deal with the smog test ? Thanks in advance.
It depends on the state. Some states require CA Emissions so, if it's from one of those states, you're good. Check out our DMV website for more info. I ordered my 2014 GT from Brian up in Washington state, and while I've had a great experience so far, I'm kinda regretting it. A) I have to pay ALL sales tax to CA DMV upfront when I register it, versus rolling into the financing and B) I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to smog a brand new vehicle just to register it, not to mention I think I'm going to have to smog it every 2 years versus 5 for a brand new car
Old 6/8/14, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Wait, are you guys telling me that the way the '08 Bullitt is NOT CA compliant?

That... sounds really weird to me. Seems as if they're all built with California emissions in mind in the first place these days (aka "50 state legal") but are you sayin' they're not?

And Patrick, I did.. the website is not workin' at the moment, or I'd learn it myself. (as of this writing.)

---

Edit, no wait, I got it. Added stuff makes it not-necessarily CARB passing. Plus 7500 miles or less and a few other items.

And get this, the feds say in 2016, that's the standard, whatever CARB is saying.

Awesome.

Last edited by houtex; 6/8/14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Wait, are you guys telling me that the way the '08 Bullitt is NOT CA compliant? That... sounds really weird to me. Seems as if they're all built with California emissions in mind in the first place these days (aka "50 state legal") but are you sayin' they're not? And Patrick, I did.. the website is not workin' at the moment, or I'd learn it myself. (as of this writing.) --- Edit, no wait, I got it. Added stuff makes it not-necessarily CARB passing. Plus 7500 miles or less and a few other items. And get this, the feds say in 2016, that's the standard, whatever CARB is saying. Awesome.
I thought that all cars were built to be 50-state compliant too, but if you look at the window sticker it says under the options list "CA Emissions" - essentially it's just a stupid sticker saying it's CARB legal in CA and the other 10-12 states that require the same emissions standards. I honestly don't think there's any difference in the non CA-compliant cars other than the sticker.

This is the same BS that gun manufacturers have to go through, which is why a few of them are pulling out of CA entirely
Old 6/8/14, 07:08 PM

The reason I'm checking this out is because I bought a used 2005 GT back in January and later added an Airaid CAI that does not require a tune if the tube insert is used to keep the airflow at stock level. The kit also included a CARB exempt sticker. So I'm good to go for the next smog check.

However, the 2008 Bullitt I'm looking at out of state has the FRPP CAI installed and I know that it requires tune because because of the increased airflow.

So If I were to bring it back into CA, the Bullitt will have a CAI and its tune (no longer the factory stock tune) and no CARB exempt sticker. So how can it pass the smog test unless I install the stock intake assembly (from my 2005 GT) and reflash the ECM back to stock configuration.

Now if there is some documentation that says 2008-2009 Bullitts are 50-state compliant or an out of state window sticker says CA compliant then it's all good.
Old 6/8/14, 07:10 PM

If someone can give me a good, working URL to look up a Ford Mustang window sticker I can plug in the VIN of the car that's out of state and check.
Old 6/8/14, 07:14 PM

The input from you 2008-2009 Bullitt owners in CA are important becuase obviously you guys should have no problem passing CA smog checks. I just need look for differences/documentation when I compare the CA Bullitt to a non-CA Bullitt.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6/8/14, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Wait, are you guys telling me that the way the '08 Bullitt is NOT CA compliant?
Bullitts that are shipped into CA and sold in CA are obviously CA compliant.
But, if I purchased a Bullitt that was originally shipped to and sold in say Kansas, what potential problems can occur when I bring it back and have to get a CA smog certificate.
Old 6/8/14, 07:28 PM

You CA Bullitt owners out there, when you take your car to the smog station what happens when the smog tester does his visual inspection and points out that the FRPP CAI does not look like the "stock intake box" ?
How do you get around that first hurdle ?
Old 6/8/14, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good lord... are you trying to get more post count?

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/category_s/10.htm

Go there and then figure out if the kit is the M-9603-GTB kit or not, if it's a true FRPP CAI that is. And if that's the kit and tune, then you're fine.

Or maybe this one:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9880

Or maybe this one here:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10128

Or get the kit part number and/or tune info, and then look it up. It says in those above '50 state legal'.

If it's not, you're screwed, and will have to downgrade.

Good luck to ya, hope that helps some!

Last edited by houtex; 6/8/14 at 09:17 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 10:28 PM

houtex,

You nailed it !
Per the URL's the 2008-2009 Bullitts used FRPP CAI M9603-GTB.
And they are:

50 STATE EMISSION LEGAL. SMOG LEGAL IN CA: CARB EO# D-598-2

So I think I'm good to go with the out of state Bullitt.

Thanks !
Old 6/9/14, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Glad to help ya!