2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Just checked out the new Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mean to dog the current 01' and 08' Bullitt owners but my biggest problem with the dealers is that though it is a limited volume car it really is no more than a GT with a performance package. My friend had an 01 Bullitt and it was a cool car but it was still a GT with a couple mods. The Mach 1 and Cobras are totaly different animals in my opinion.....

What I don't get is I never saw ADMs on Mustangs until this current gen came out. I personally can't wait for the Camaro and Challenger to hit the streets so Ford Dealers have to actually compete for my business. To this day i'm still fuming over the fact that dealers screwed me out of a GT500 at MSRP..... Next time i'll tell the dealer ok i'm gonna buy a chevy
Old 2/27/08, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

The '03/'04 Cobra and Mach1's around here certainly had ADMs at many of the dealers.
the Cobra's especially then because they were only sold at 'SVT' dealers so perceived as more 'special'.

ADMs certainly weren't invented with the current gen Mustangs.
Old 2/28/08, 05:08 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
... The Mach 1 and Cobras are totaly different animals in my opinion...
They were the best Ford had to offer at the time performance wise which the '01 Bullitt was not and neither is the '08 Bullitt, to the dismay of Ford dealers.
... What I don't get is I never saw ADMs on Mustangs until this current gen came out...
There were ADMS on the previous gen SEs but were short lived. They have become more common with the intruduction of every Mustang model but attempting and succeeding has been a different story for dealers, the exception being the '05 GT and the GT500. I believe the goal for dealers seeking ADMs for Bullitt is to be able to sale at MSRP.
Old 2/28/08, 06:16 AM
GT Member

The dealers around here have gone from asking for a ADM of $5k, then $2k, and now no ADM on the Bullitt. They are now happy getting MSRP for it. My dealer had an ADM on the GT500 of $20k and finally just sold it, but at MSRP. The dealers have to realize that it is not only a matter of demand and supply (there are a lot more of these SE's being made now), "it is the economy, Stupid".
Old 2/28/08, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

The new Bullitt will quickly fall out of favour because there are too many new Mustangs coming out, and the competition will be ready to offer customers other choices. Ford is simply capitalizing on the current feeding frienzy and ADM's will eventually stop once the "new kid" is on the block. Add to that a troubled economy and car dealers will soon be fighting just to stay alive. Examples: the Shelby GT can be had way below MSRP as dealers are getting stuck with them. The 2008's dropped from a total production of almost 65% of the 2007's. Cars in demand just don't do this, and this was after only one year of production! The GT500's pricing is coming down ever so quickly as well. A dealer near me brought two GT500's in last fall and tacked on an abusive ADM thinking that people would rush in to snap them up. They're still glued to his showroom floor with a much lower price and still not selling. The new 2008 Bullitt will come and go, only to make room for the next SE, be it the Mach 1 or Boss, whatever. And those models will be surpassed by something else as well. Ford does very well at stimulating the market and moving to the next great model. Anyone see a trend here? Anyone own a Mustang that's 30 years old and worth more than MSRP? Not likely. I refuse to pay an ADM on any car I buy as values quickly fall soon after. I've owned too many Mustangs to be convinced otherwise.
Old 2/28/08, 11:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by goesfast
The new Bullitt will quickly fall out of favour because there are too many new Mustangs coming out, and the competition will be ready to offer customers other choices. Ford is simply capitalizing on the current feeding frienzy and ADM's will eventually stop once the "new kid" is on the block. Add to that a troubled economy and car dealers will soon be fighting just to stay alive. Examples: the Shelby GT can be had way below MSRP as dealers are getting stuck with them. The 2008's dropped from a total production of almost 65% of the 2007's. Cars in demand just don't do this, and this was after only one year of production! The GT500's pricing is coming down ever so quickly as well. A dealer near me brought two GT500's in last fall and tacked on an abusive ADM thinking that people would rush in to snap them up. They're still glued to his showroom floor with a much lower price and still not selling. The new 2008 Bullitt will come and go, only to make room for the next SE, be it the Mach 1 or Boss, whatever. And those models will be surpassed by something else as well. Ford does very well at stimulating the market and moving to the next great model. Anyone see a trend here? Anyone own a Mustang that's 30 years old and worth more than MSRP? Not likely. I refuse to pay an ADM on any car I buy as values quickly fall soon after. I've owned too many Mustangs to be convinced otherwise.
Actually the 2008 was always planned on being built for half the year so it was not a reduction due to the cars not selling. It was due to the Super Snake and other upgrade packages that are being offered. The factory there is limited on space, lifts and personnel.

I do agree on the MSRP statement though.
Old 2/28/08, 11:36 AM
Cobra R Member

My point is that the consumer should not have to spend hours of research and time negotiating to get a car at MSRP. When the GT500 came out I was burned on a reserve I had on one dating back to 04' I tried calling dealerships across the country to get one and I came to the realization that this is B. S. I have decided to invest the money I was going to use to buy my GT500 into other areas. It is sad that a struggling company like Ford didn't stop dealers from price adjustment. I was planning on buying a GT500 and a Fusion but because of the dealership's greed I bought neither and to be honest will likley never buy from that dealership again. The experience has left a sour taste in my mouth and have lost a bit of loyalty in Ford products, if Ford wanted to they could have kept dealers from marking up their cars. I read a report back in 06' That Honda forbid any dealer to sell their Civic SI above MSRP..so it could be done if Ford wanted to.
Old 2/28/08, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

97 SVT, unfortunately it would be illegal for them to do that. Its part of the liscencing agreement. The only brand that has an agreement to limit sales to msrp is Saturn, and thats because the company started in the 80's. I do indirect lending for my credit union for a living. Trust me Honda's are not limited to MSRP. Btw msrp deals can now be had. Give it a year when the 09's are out with the 2010's being shown and it will be below msrp.

Roger
Old 2/28/08, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

In the USA, trade laws forbid manufacturers from forcing their franchised dealerships to sell the manufacturer's products at a specific price, be it above or below any form of MSRP--that's why MSRP means "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price". If there are products sold through dealerships owned completely by the manufacturer of the products, these laws may apply differently or not at all.

No one seems to complain when dealerships have to sell well below MSRP to move dogs off their lots--Pontiac dealerships sold 25 Azteks in 2007 that had been on their lots two years or more (either leftlanenews or autoblogs carried the story a month or so ago). Presumably, these laws are to protect the dealerships from the dumping of undesirable models on the dealerships and then expecting the dealerships to sell them at some price set by the manufacturer--but that is a double-edged sword in the case of really hot models. Back when I sold Chevrolets for a living, manufacturers could force the dealerships to accept unordered vehicles in unlimited quantities--Dodge had a terrible reputation for doing this at the time. I saw a small, brand new Dodge dealership bankrupted in this very manner--a sucks-out-loud procedure if there ever was one...
Old 2/28/08, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
They were the best Ford had to offer at the time performance wise which the '01 Bullitt was not and neither is the '08 Bullitt, to the dismay of Ford dealers.
Explain. The '08 is fine performance wise for a Bullitt. The only dealers who may be dismayed are the ones who can't manage to get ADM for one.

There were ADMS on the previous gen SEs but were short lived. They have become more common with the intruduction of every Mustang model but attempting and succeeding has been a different story for dealers, the exception being the '05 GT and the GT500. I believe the goal for dealers seeking ADMs for Bullitt is to be able to sale at MSRP.
It is becoming that, but I doubt it was ever the 'goal'

Smart dealers are selling and moving product while still making a little $ over invoice.
Even the GT500 should be sold that way, anything else is short lived fantasy
Old 2/28/08, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

My point is that the consumer should not have to spend hours of research and time negotiating to get a car at MSRP. When the GT500 came out I was burned on a reserve I had on one dating back to 04' I tried calling dealerships across the country to get one and I came to the realization that this is B. S. I have decided to invest the money I was going to use to buy my GT500 into other areas. It is sad that a struggling company like Ford didn't stop dealers from price adjustment. I was planning on buying a GT500 and a Fusion but because of the dealership's greed I bought neither and to be honest will likley never buy from that dealership again. The experience has left a sour taste in my mouth and have lost a bit of loyalty in Ford products, if Ford wanted to they could have kept dealers from marking up their cars. I read a report back in 06' That Honda forbid any dealer to sell their Civic SI above MSRP..so it could be done if Ford wanted to.
I totally agree that Ford could do something to stop ADM's all together. A firm discussion with their dealerships at an annual meeting would be all it would take: "You add any ADM's whatsoever, and you're done selling our cars!!", no matter what trade laws exist. But the true blame in your case is the dealership you were going to buy from. Shame on them for being so shortsighted. Now they've probably lost your business for good. If you ever do buy another Ford, make sure you drop but that dealership so they can gander at the sticker on the back where you bought it from!
Old 2/28/08, 04:50 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by RCSignals
Explain. The '08 is fine performance wise for a Bullitt. The only dealers who may be dismayed are the ones who can't manage to get ADM for one.
My comment was based on alternative and available drivetrains for both MYs. The reality is water under the bridge.
It is becoming that, but I doubt it was ever the 'goal' ...
It is now.
Old 2/28/08, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Would you define "tiny fraction"? I've seen Bullitts at the lowest go for $9000-$10000, which I would not call a tiny fraction of the $26,000 MSRP.

I'd love to see some of these auctions if you have links.
The eBay auctions were from last year, so I don't have any links. IIRC, the 2003 Cobras were selling for about $30k, the 2004 Mach 1s were selling for about $17k, and the 2001 Bullitts were selling for about $8k. So I concluded the Cobras held almost all their initial value, the Mach 1s about half their initial value and the Bullitts about a third of their initial value.
Old 2/28/08, 06:26 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,668 Posts
I don't mean to dog the current 01' and 08' Bullitt owners but my biggest problem with the dealers is that though it is a limited volume car it really is no more than a GT with a performance package. My friend had an 01 Bullitt and it was a cool car but it was still a GT with a couple mods. The Mach 1 and Cobras are totaly different animals in my opinion.....

What I don't get is I never saw ADMs on Mustangs until this current gen came out. I personally can't wait for the Camaro and Challenger to hit the streets so Ford Dealers have to actually compete for my business. To this day i'm still fuming over the fact that dealers screwed me out of a GT500 at MSRP..... Next time i'll tell the dealer ok i'm gonna buy a chevy
If you think that for one moment GM, and Dodge won't be adding ADM markups. I strongly recommend that you think again, as Dodge dealers are already adding up to 20k above MSRP for their Challenger SRT8. Here's the link from the planet Challenger website.

http://www.planetchallenger.com/gene...se-071206.html
Old 2/28/08, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

My comment was based on alternative and available drivetrains for both MYs. The reality is water under the bridge.
It certainly is.

You know Ford couldn't build a lowly Bullitt that had more engine than the mighty Shelby GT.

That's saved for a Mach or BOSS

It is now.
Agreed, now that they know they won't get ADM. However, while they try that other dealers are selling below MSRP.
Old 2/29/08, 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

[quote=m05fastbackGT;1119704]If you think that for one moment GM, and Dodge won't be adding ADM markups. I strongly recommend that you think again, as Dodge dealers are already adding up to 20k above MSRP for their Challenger SRT8. Here's the link from the planet Challenger website.

I totally agree, i'm just ticked at the whole concept behind ADMs. Dealers can try to defend it until they are blue in the face but in my opinion it is just bad business. The big three are in such horrible shape and now when they have desirable cars like the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro they end up burning the customer. These cars for many are going to be second vehicals why not treat the customer right so they buy a second "daily driver" car from the same place? Like i said I was going to buy the GT500 and a Fusion.......

Though I do agree ADMs will be on both the Challenger and Camaro I doubt they will be as high and long lived as the GT500's ADM. Though I hate the idea of the ADM the 08' Challenger is being produced in much smaller numbers than the GT500 as well. I have debated this in the past and I think he biggest reason for the GT500's ADM is simply the name because overall the automotive press can't seem to understand the high demand for this car. I love the GT500 but with markup it is not a bargain a Corvette is the better car for the money hands down!
Old 2/29/08, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

Though I do agree ADMs will be on both the Challenger and Camaro I doubt they will be as high and long lived as the GT500's ADM. Though I hate the idea of the ADM the 08' Challenger is being produced in much smaller numbers than the GT500 as well. I have debated this in the past and I think he biggest reason for the GT500's ADM is simply the name because overall the automotive press can't seem to understand the high demand for this car. I love the GT500 but with markup it is not a bargain a Corvette is the better car for the money hands down!
There are still ADMs on Chargers here, especially R/T and SRT8.

As for the limited edition '08 Challenger, you are correct, initially they were to build 5,000, but since those sold out almost overnight (with huge ADMs) they announced they are going to build a total of 10.000. That's not much less if at all than GT500 production.
Old 3/1/08, 10:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
There are still ADMs on Chargers here, especially R/T and SRT8.

As for the limited edition '08 Challenger, you are correct, initially they were to build 5,000, but since those sold out almost overnight (with huge ADMs) they announced they are going to build a total of 10.000. That's not much less if at all than GT500 production.
Wow thanks for the info, that was quick for them to already commit to a larger build total. I'm shocked that Chargers are selling for ADMs in your neck of the woods here they have rebates on the R/Ts and are trying to sell off two SRT8s that have been sitting on the showroom floor since last summer lol
Old 3/1/08, 04:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,668 Posts
[quote=97GT03SVT;1119834]
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If you think that for one moment GM, and Dodge won't be adding ADM markups. I strongly recommend that you think again, as Dodge dealers are already adding up to 20k above MSRP for their Challenger SRT8. Here's the link from the planet Challenger website.

I totally agree, i'm just ticked at the whole concept behind ADMs. Dealers can try to defend it until they are blue in the face but in my opinion it is just bad business. The big three are in such horrible shape and now when they have desirable cars like the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro they end up burning the customer. These cars for many are going to be second vehicals why not treat the customer right so they buy a second "daily driver" car from the same place? Like i said I was going to buy the GT500 and a Fusion.......

I couldn't agree more, as most dealers are more concerned about themselves, rather than their customers. They also seem to forget that if it weren't for their customers, they wouldn't enjoy the privileges of their sales positions for very long.

However I could totally accept ADM markups, if they weren't so d@mn high. But when their marked up by more than 5k. That's just being downright greedy, and I don't care how high the demand is. There is just no excuse for screwing over the customer whatsoever, as 5k above MSRP should be more than enough to make a nice profit.

On the other hand. We do have members, such as Jeff Greenly a.k.a 05fordgt. and Brian a.k.a Five Oh Brian, who work at Ford dealerships as sales consultants, that do indeed put their customers first.

That being said, if and when I'm in the market for an SE Mustang. I'll be taking my business to Jeff. You can be assured of that
Old 3/1/08, 05:16 PM
Cobra Member

Wow thanks for the info, that was quick for them to already commit to a larger build total. I'm shocked that Chargers are selling for ADMs in your neck of the woods here they have rebates on the R/Ts and are trying to sell off two SRT8s that have been sitting on the showroom floor since last summer lol
Oh there are rebates on the R/Ts, taken on the ADM up price. The Dodge dealer calls it something like 'Local Market Adjustment'