2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Cold Air Intake System Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/08, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold Air Intake System Question

I like the CAI system, but I wonder if enough air is getting through that small gap in the front.

I am thinking about cutting a large diameter hole in the forward portion of the box to access some more air from below. Similar to the K&N setup for the GT.

Perhaps a flexible duct could be fitted to the cut-out and to the opening in the lower spoiler.

What do you think?
Old 4/26/08, 07:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I wouldn't want to cut a hole in the existing Bullitt set-up.
I would suggest fabricating something new.
Then if it doesn't make any difference, you can put it back to stock.
Most CAI engine baffles are just sheet metal or plastic.
You should be able to fashion your own.
Old 4/26/08, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I think an adequate volume of air comes in from under the hood for a N/A engine. Yes there could be more air flow but if you really want more air flow I say buy a Supercharger or just drive faster!
Old 4/26/08, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

That's right. There's plenty of air underhood for the car to draw from as the engine can only ingest so much (non-assisted). If you want more, go with a supercharger or turbo which "forces" air.
Old 4/27/08, 07:24 PM
Cobra Member

A hole in the bottom would be accessing hot air from teh engine compartment. That you don't want.

Remember the Bullitt intake works with teh hood liner, which is new for '08. The hood line is designed for a better seal and also provides a raised area for more volume around the filter.

I think Ford has engineered it well, it doesn't need 'modification'
Old 4/29/08, 07:58 PM

I like the "drive faster" suggestion, but I do question the thinking that "Ford has engineered it well." Would that be like the engineering that went into no inside trunk release

The stock GTs get their air from the fender well.

The aftermarket CAI kits use this area and some also access air from the bottom of the box gaining volume from the engine compartment.

I agree, hot air from the engine compartment is less than desirable, but I would think additional air from the fender well would be acceptable.

And even though a blower would provide more air, the demand for that air must come from somewhere. The superchargers that I have seen all get their air from the engine compartment.
Old 4/29/08, 11:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Big Daddy
........... The superchargers that I have seen all get their air from the engine compartment.
I've seen that too. It's the worst place to draw air for a Super Charger. Heat/hot intake air is even more of a negative in a Supercharged application.

Some manufacturers of Supercharger kits will void the warranty if intake air is drawn from the engine compartment. Kenne Bell is one.
Old 4/30/08, 02:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would that be like the engineering that went into no inside trunk release
I have a trunk release inside my trunk. Did they do away with this after 2006?
Old 5/1/08, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by theedge67
I have a trunk release inside my trunk. Did they do away with this after 2006?
Inside the cockpit. Not an emergeny release.
Old 5/14/08, 11:04 PM

The Ford Racing Air Box is more restrictive than th C+L racer,and the others, even the tube is narower. i'm sure being this is from the factory, it's still not at optimum. Nothing beats a tune and a intake for the price. Tink about it
Old 5/14/08, 11:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tmrabin
The Ford Racing Air Box is more restrictive than th C+L racer,and the others, even the tube is narower. i'm sure being this is from the factory, it's still not at optimum. Nothing beats a tune and a intake for the price. Tink about it
The 'Ford Racing' Bullitt CAI 'tube' is 89 - 90 mm.
The only information I've found that indicates it is slightly more 'restrictive' was in a post on another site citing a less than scientific and less than unbiased test conducted by a manufacturer of a competing CAI.
Even the 'tune' used was not an even comparison.

Do you have other information?
Old 5/21/08, 10:41 PM
GT Member

Would that be like the engineering that went into no inside trunk release
I believe the lack of trunk release inside the cabin was to prevent kids from opening the trunk and climbing in there and potentially getting stuck and dying. Adults should have the keys to the car, not kids. Just my own 2 cents.
Old 5/21/08, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by newdy22
I believe the lack of trunk release inside the cabin was to prevent kids from opening the trunk and climbing in there and potentially getting stuck and dying. Adults should have the keys to the car, not kids. Just my own 2 cents.
The remote provides a trunk release button, so one in the cabin is kind of redundant
Old 5/22/08, 07:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by newdy22
All new cars have an emergency trunk release cord inside the trunk- thus preventing anyone from being accidently locked in.
Old 5/22/08, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
The remote provides a trunk release button, so one in the cabin is kind of redundant
With my '05 the key fob trunk release would not work with the key in the ignition. THAT was a pain in the butt!! I don't know what year that was changed, but now that it will work in or out of the ignition I don't miss the release in the glovebox at all
Old 5/22/08, 06:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
All new cars have an emergency trunk release cord inside the trunk- thus preventing anyone from being accidently locked in.
I realize that. I have seen studies that were televised and young children did not understand that they had to pull the emergency trunk release to open the trunk from inside. While this system is intuitive for adults, it not so intuitive for young children. So the best course of action is prevent most of children from even getting in the trunk in the first place by removing access to opening the trunk without the key fob.