2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Bullitt style dash in a non-bullitt car?

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/12, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullitt style dash in a non-bullitt car?

Need some opinions here. My GT has the basic, all black dash. The guy who does vinyl work/pinstriping/etc for the dealership I work at was at the lot yesterday putting this carbon fiber-style metal film decal stuff on a car and I got to talking to him and he was telling me that he can get the same product in all sorts of styles, including turned aluminum like the Bullitt dash. I was thinking of having him do my dash with that to look like the bullitt dash.

My question is, do you guys think that would be poser-ish or whatever you want to call it? I obviously wouldn't try to represent my car as a Bullitt or anything. I just want to add something to the interior to make it look a little nicer than the black cave it is now.

Opinions?
Old 2/29/12, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it would be poser-ish, the Bullitt dash looks pretty sweet. Besides, it's YOUR car that you paid for..do whatever you want with it...except trying to turn it into a ricer. Hahaha. I thought about getting the bullitt dash for my '06. I remember seeing the kit somewhere, but it was pretty pricey.
Old 3/1/12, 05:41 AM
Cobra Member

I installed one in my car and could care less if someone thinks I am a poser. It is your car, so do what you want. The dash is not cheap though as all the parts are probably in the $500-600 range new from a dealer. I found mine on ebay a couple years ago (less the air bag cover, which I had to buy new) and it only ran me $250 total.

Here's a link to mine after the install... Bullitt dash installed

Last edited by Doogie; 3/1/12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 3/5/12, 05:48 PM
GT Member

Go for it! The turned aluminum dash would really make your interior pop! Besides, Ford put it in the 08-09 Bullitt and must of thought it looked better than the woodgrain dash that the 68 GT 390 had. IMO you are not being a Bullitt poser - just don't ask me about getting a DHG paint job next.
Old 3/6/12, 01:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's define poser.... You are only a poser if you are putting a badge, emblem or name of a higher level performance model on a lesser model which was not originally equipped.

Ford has a history of using accessories from specific higher level models to help dress out any Mustang. The California Special was one which used some Shelby pieces. The 1970 Mustang Grabber was another sportier trimmed base Sport Roof model which recycled the 1969 Boss 302 stripe, rear spoiler, etc. So the use of trim or accessories is not the issue of being a poser.

When I had my 08 Mustang I liked the Boss 302 stripes. I was not about to install any lettering that said Boss 302 or Boss anything. Instead I left the stripes solid without lettering as the 1970 Mustang Grabber did. I am also not the type of person who would brag about having a 4.0 liter engine by buying 4.0 badges or number decals to slap on the fenders or hood scoops.

I am all about mixing and matching actual trim and accessories for a custom look.

I like my glossy black hood scoop on the hood of my 2010 V6. If you like the engine turned aluminum dash trim from the Bullitt then go for it. Just don't put a Bullitt badge anywhere on that car or you will be a poser...

Last edited by watchdevil; 3/6/12 at 01:54 AM.
Old 3/6/12, 04:36 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, the dash is my least favorite thing about the Bullitt. But to the question - go for it. Nobody is going to think you're trying to pass your car off as a Bullitt just because of the dash. If they do, then they're pretty freakin' stupid and their opinion doesn't matter anyways.
Old 3/6/12, 05:13 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The bullitt dash looked fantastic. One of my favorite. Go for it. Even if you do a complete bullitt clone, who cares? They didn't build that many of them and they look great. If you tried to sell the car as a bullitt I would call foul but nobody should be hating because you like the bullitt styling.
Old 3/6/12, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the imput guys.. A product like this:
http://www.hotrodworks.net/decal/dash.html#

Is what I'm thinking about using, but I wonder if I'm going to end up with bad glare/light reflecting off it when the sun comes through the back or side windows?

Also, a question for the bullitt owners out there, that product is available in either 1/4 inch circles or 1 inch circles, which is closer to the bullitt dash?
Old 3/6/12, 10:39 AM
Post *****

Old 3/6/12, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is that your car? Looks really nice. Hopefully mine comes out looking close to that.

But if I really screw it up it's not that big of a deal because the vinyl is only 3 bucks per square foot.

Anybody with a bullitt have a close-up picture of the panel gaps on the dash? Does the pattern line up across them?
Old 3/6/12, 02:13 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Kevin509
Is that your car? Looks really nice. Hopefully mine comes out looking close to that.

But if I really screw it up it's not that big of a deal because the vinyl is only 3 bucks per square foot.

Anybody with a bullitt have a close-up picture of the panel gaps on the dash? Does the pattern line up across them?
Yes they line up. My car is under cover in storage or I'd go get a closer pic.