2008-2009 BULLITT The Bullitt is Back!

Bullitt on Hold (today only)

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/12, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullitt on Hold (today only)

A local Chrysler dealership just got an '08 Bullitt with 28,550 miles on it. Second owner had it 4 months (since jan of this year basically) and original owner bought new off the Ford lot. Second owner put 11,433 miles on it driving back and forth to work. (Conroe to Houston...if you know Texas).

I own a Chrysler vehicle right now, so I thought they may do me good on a trade.

They basically say they will sale for $24,689 and give me $7k on my trade. I still owe almost 2k on mine. I would end up financing around $20k at a good rate under 6%, maybe 5.1%? I haggled with them, the whole "what do we have to do today" spiel.

It's DHG, and #0988. I have a vin as well.

Tell me what you guys think. How big a gas tank is in the Bullitt (gallon)?
Old 5/28/12, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not sure what your credit history is like, but I work at a used car dealership and 5.x % is nowhere near a good rate... With good or even OK credit you should be under 3%. Heck my rate is 2.74% for 72 months as a first time buyer. Beyond that their pricing on the car is in line with the book values (they're ~$500 under book at $24,689). If you're happy with the money their offering on your trade and the car is in good shape then it sounds like a good deal other than the interest rate.

As far as I know the gas tank on a bullitt is no different than any other GT, 16 gal.
Old 5/28/12, 12:47 PM

My credit should be in the 700's...it's not top tier but in the 7's and they noted that my current % rate on my vehicle of 6.1% they could beat easily.

When they said what do we got to do today to get you to buy it, we were looking at $20,767 and $7000 on my trade.( remember I still owe 1656).

I said come off your price and go up on my trade, so I only have to finance 17K. I thought they would laugh at it and he comes back with 18k...so I wind up meeting one of the sales manager's, I guess, who said if he asked his boss they might be able to get me to 17k and beat my current %rate by at least a point. I think it needs to be lower than 5.1% to get me where I want to be, which is a low monthly payment around $300-$330ish.

I did not get an exact rate though.

They 11,433 miles in that last 4 months is where I balked. They told me they traded it in to buy a larger car....kids and all. The guy drove back and forth to work probably around 100 miles a day roundtrip.

I just want to know some background info on #0988 if I can get it.
Old 5/28/12, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, there might be a bullitt mustang registry that you could look for as far as finding history on that car. And ask about car fax/auto check report too...

It's good that they're coming down on the price more for a difference of 17 or 18 grand. The interest rate still seems odd to me though. If I has to guess, I'd say that whatever bank your financing through let's the dealer "keep" a couple points. A lot of banks do. So basically the bank might be lending you the money at 3 or 4 % but the dealer is showing you 5.1 percent and they keep that extra profit from your loan. That's probably why they have room to come down on the price.

I think that if it's the car you want, and it's in good shape, then it's probably a good deal. Just keep in mind that the dealership always has to make money some how. So if they give you something, like come down on the price, or over-allow on your trade, they generally have some other way to make some profit.

Last edited by Kevin509; 5/28/12 at 04:34 PM.
Old 5/28/12, 04:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin509

As far as I know the gas tank on a bullitt is no different than any other GT, 16 gal.
correct

Originally Posted by McQueen
My credit should be in the 700's...it's not top tier but in the 7's and they noted that my current % rate on my vehicle of 6.1% they could beat easily.

They 11,433 miles in that last 4 months is where I balked. They told me they traded it in to buy a larger car....kids and all. The guy drove back and forth to work probably around 100 miles a day roundtrip.

I just want to know some background info on #0988 if I can get it.
Its just highway miles. You can always refi when you have time to shop rates till you drop. Around here credit unions are around 3% - even for 08's.
That's a good price (too low IMO )

Well, there might be a bullitt mustang registry that you could look for as far as finding history on that car. And ask about car fax/auto check report too...

988 isn't in the Bullitt registry - only a small portion are. Def on the car fax records.

S197 Bullitt's are not only a blast to drive, but they're as hell!!
Old 5/28/12, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
correct

S197 Bullitt's are not only a blast to drive, but they're as hell!!
That's an important point too. If I had the means to I'd definitely look to pick up a limited edition S197 with low miles in good shape now before the 2015 model drops. Because if the 2015 is a flop, which I hope it isn't, but with all the changes they plan to make, it could be, the value for special edition S197s might shoot up... you never know, it might be a good investment.
Old 5/28/12, 06:55 PM
Post *****

That's an important point too. If I had the means to I'd definitely look to pick up a limited edition S197 with low miles in good shape now before the 2015 model drops. Because if the 2015 is a flop, which I hope it isn't, but with all the changes they plan to make, it could be, the value for special edition S197s might shoot up... you never know, it might be a good investment.
Never know...

Five future automotive collectibles: If you've got one of these cars, you could be sitting on gold

Published May 05, 2012
Hagerty

Car people of a certain age have all had one of those “I wish I’d had a crystal ball” moments while watching a 1960s muscle car sell for huge money on a televised auction. With some cars, you can ditch the crystal ball; it’s just a matter of time before a new generation of collectors recognize them for what they are and pay up accordingly. Here’s our list of future blue chippers:
  1. 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe: The Solstice coupe was a particularly sad story from the saddest part of GM’s long history. The original Solstice convertible was an attractive two-seat sports car that suffered from a serious case of bad packaging. When the top was down, there was barely enough room for a toothbrush in the trunk. The gorgeous fastback hardtop coupe version addressed this lack or storage while still retaining the open air feeling of the convertible by virtue of a lift off roof panel. Just 1,200 or so were built before GM offed the Solstice, the plant it was built in, and Pontiac itself.
  2. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP: Another heartbreaker from GM. While four-door sedans generally don’t get the love from collectors, we’re betting this one will buck that trend. The G8 was a rear wheel-drive sedan from GM’s Australian Holden division. Imported as the G8, a little over 1,800 G8 GXPs were built with a 415 hp Corvette derived V-8 and an available Tremec 6-speed gearbox. The G8 GXPs performance stats put '60s muscle cars to shame — 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 13 seconds flat. It was a half-price BMW M5 that never had a chance to find its market.
  3. 2008-09 Ford Mustang Bullitt Edition: In the collectible automotive world, all things associated with Steve McQueen have some added luster. Ford made a lot of fans of the 1968 action film "Bullitt" very happy when they released a special edition of the Mustang designed to resemble the green 1968 Mustang driven by McQueen’s character Lieutenant Frank Bullitt. It wasn’t the first time that Ford tried to capitalize on the film (there was a 2001 Bullitt Mustang), but this version of the Bullitt Mustang was by far the most seriously retro, and future collectors will prize good examples.
  4. 2005-06 Ford GT: OK, we're cheating just a little bit here. In point of fact, although it’s only been out of production for about five years, the GT is already rather collectible. Just over 4,000 of these world-class supercars were built, essentially to commemorate Ferrari’s 1966 thrashing at the famous Le Mans race at the hands of the car’s inspiration — the Ford GT40. A dead-ringer for the original 1960s race car (complete with racing stripes), we’re guessing that the $200,000 or so these cars bring now will look like chicken feed 20 years from now.
  5. 2002-05 Ford Thunderbird: This retro-cool re-imagining of the classic 1955 Thunderbird was actually a pretty competent car that shared its underpinnings with both Lincoln and Jaguar. More of a boulevard cruiser than a sports car, the car perfectly captured the spirit of the original T-Bird. How the same people who came up with the Bullitt Edition Mustang could have resisted an “American Graffiti” version of the T-Bird in white is beyond us.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...#ixzz1u0f95yOF
Old 5/28/12, 08:20 PM

They first offered to come off the original price of $24,988 to $24,689 there in the showroom. Offered me 7k on my trade ( I still owe 1568) and I said no because I didn't feel they were coming off their price much.

Then when they asked me what had to be done to get the car today. I said come down on your price, add more to my trade, come around to $17k instead over the original $20k out the door. I was being bold and didn't think they would come close.

They came back at $18k....I was kinda shocked. Then when I met the salesman's boss...he thought I could get to $17k if he asked his boss.

I still said no...they held it for me until 3:00pm anyway. Around 4:30 they call and say out the door at $16k. I said no again.

What bothers me somewhat is how hard they keep coming down. I told my salesman that I didn't know until he printed out the carfax that the car had 11,433 miles put on it in the last 4 months alone by the second owner. Original owner only put 17,000 miles on it in three years. That is when they looked into their records and found the guy was driving 100 miles each day round trip to work and traded it in on a Durango for the family/kids etc.

My thought is in 5 years I will have over 100,000 miles on the car...it will be paid off...then what? How valuable will it be....somewhat I guess, never know. I will also have to figure out if I want to continue driving it or somehow find some money to buy a different car, because I really don't want to give up or sale a Bullitt. So how much money have I thrown at this after 5 years?

I don't know what the finance rate would be...I know I would go for 60 months ( can't afford 48). The dealership said they felt confident they could beat 6.1% (that is what I have on my current car, bought new in 2007) jeep patriot limited.

What is this ? S197 Bullitt's are not only a blast to drive, but they're as hell!! "
Old 5/28/12, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm looking at trading my Bullitt for a new 2015 GT. 24K is a good asking price for a low mileage Bullitt.
Old 5/29/12, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me get this straight, they wanted 20K vs your 17K and came back at 16k and you pass? Don't sweat the mileage [ who put how many on] or the finance rate as said before you can refi after you get the car.

As far as total mileage you put on it that can be limited by a cheap second car for work.

Sounds like your getting cold feet for whatever reason.
Old 6/7/12, 10:07 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey soooo can we see the car?? Haha
Old 6/13/12, 05:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Don't even worry about the car being collectible....that is NOT a reason to buy the car, cars are a horrible investment.
Buy it because you like it.
Tell them you'll take it for 15k difference.
Old 6/13/12, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Don't even worry about the car being collectible....that is NOT a reason to buy the car, cars are a horrible investment.
Buy it because you like it.
Tell them you'll take it for 15k difference.
Are you serious about cars being a bad investment? Are you saying these or just in general?
Old 6/13/12, 09:16 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
No car should ever be an investment period under any circumstances. None.

You've got to garage it, maintain it, insure it, and hope nothing ever happens to it.

And I don't care how special it is after these costs and your original nut the payout would be small even on the rarest of cars.

It's a fallacy thought up by men to justify their toys. Nothing wrong with having toys. Just don't lie to yourself about it.
Old 6/13/12, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

You've got to garage it, maintain it, insure it, and hope nothing ever happens to it.

And I don't care how special it is after these costs and your original nut the payout would be small even on the rarest of cars.

It's a fallacy thought up by men to justify their toys. Nothing wrong with having toys. Just don't lie to yourself about it.
I rarely agree with this fellow, but I do here.
Old 6/14/12, 05:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang
Are you serious about cars being a bad investment? Are you saying these or just in general?
Yes I'm serious. There are not many cars that INCREASE in value, and in those rare cases it's 30+ years later that sees their values rise. And considering the time we are living....I'm not so sure that gas powered cars will be on the roads in 30-50 years.

Buy a car because it's what you WANT and don't worry about the rest.
Old 6/14/12, 06:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Have you guys ever watch Barrett jackson? I'm not saying out your money into a car as an investment, but they definitely increase in money. I have no problem with what you guys say about buying a car bc you enjoy it, and I don't think that the newer cars will be worth much either. But cars that are early 70s and older are doing nothing but going up in value.
Old 6/14/12, 06:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

I agree with that, haha but I think I'm like you guys... I wanna have fun and drive my car
Old 6/14/12, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
shop around for the best rate then make them beat it. capitol one usally has some good rates or judt google used car finance rates and see what you come up with. what is blue book on your car?
Old 6/14/12, 11:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 06blackvertstang
Have you guys ever watch Barrett jackson? I'm not saying out your money into a car as an investment, but they definitely increase in money. I have no problem with what you guys say about buying a car bc you enjoy it, and I don't think that the newer cars will be worth much either. But cars that are early 70s and older are doing nothing but going up in value.

I watch it all the time. But you're not looking at the bigger picture.
Do you have any idea how much money some of those guys have invested in those cars? You'll see full restoration cars sell for 25-40k, when you consider the cost to insure the car for those 40 years it's been owned, the cost to maintain the car and the cost to restore the car....there is very little profit shown.

Forget the rare Boss 429 that crosses the block, those cars are exceptions.

Quick Reply: Bullitt on Hold (today only)